Boost Creep

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Man I don't know why but now I am having a boost creep issue. No matter how I set the controller it never gets steady n goes to overboost if allowed to climb. Called hellion today n they said take the top lines off the wg n run off the spring. Did that n capped the lines n still went to 7lbs. It's 47 degrees here but I don't think it can take the boost that high. I may be wrong. Any suggestions guys? Will call hellion tomorrow n say our little test didn't work. This is a new issue and doing logs never came up til recent. Thanks

ajpturbo

Established Member
What lines did you cap? When you run wastegate, just run from compressor to the bottom of WG. You don't need to cap the top, not sure if that is having an effect.

I would bypass your controller just to make sure.

I have 3 psi springs in my WG and I can only run 5.5 psi. The wastegate probably need to be bigger if I'm trying to run that low of a boost pressure.

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
You capped the top lines when you tried running the bottom port of the waste gate???? did I read that right. when you run the bottom port on the waste gate you leave the top port open.

Also what spring do you have in the gate?

ajpturbo

Established Member
still went to 7lbs. It's 47 degrees here but I don't think it can take the boost that high. I may be wrong.

You have the 6266 that comes with the kit? How much boosty were you running before?

probably in the low to mid 600 range...You should be ok.....Bout as risky as 5-6 psi....Which can be problematic also

ajpturbo

Established Member
That cold maybe if cap'd right. What boost controller.

What do you mean if capped right?

The way I see it, if you cap the top of the WG then you make a little air pocket above the diaphragm and when the gate tries to open it just squeezing the pocket helping to keep the gate closed, raising boost

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
What do you mean if capped right?

The way I see it, if you cap the top of the WG then you make a little air pocket above the diaphragm and when the gate tries to open it just squeezing the pocket helping to keep the gate closed, raising boost

yes that is correct

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
20140227_223900_zps0qdxqngk.jpg

Should have explained a lil more. The top port on the wastegate is open. I capped the line that goes to the boost controller setup. I am running a GFB boost controller.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
You have the 6266 that comes with the kit? How much boosty were you running before?

probably in the low to mid 600 range...You should be ok.....Bout as risky as 5-6 psi....Which can be problematic also

I just started back with the car but before it got cold I would see 6.8-7lbs on my set duty cycle and it held.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
I had it originally at 7.8 but it made it there so I lowered it to 7 and put the duty to 0 and gain to 0. It still made it to 7. This was before I did what hellion told me to do. I just went to test it going off the springs and it went to 6.8 then over boost.

D.T.R

Established Member
The colder weather does not help. My honda would creep almost to 1psi even with a 60mm WG. During warmer weather of 70+ temps it wouldn't creep one bit... so it is the weather sometimes.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Oh ok. I hope thats all that it is. Im on the gates for now and will test when i get off today since its a little warmer out.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
I would not set my boost cut that close to my desired boost level. maybe try boost/cut at 8 or 9 psi

Yea i had it set to 8 but when i saw that it would climb to that i lowered it to where it is now.

what spring do you have in your waste gate? I have a3 psi spring and I hit 5.5 psi

Should have the 3 psi springs in there. They said that with the cold temps a 1psi increase or a lil more can be seen. Idk i just want to get back out now while its warming up a little.

Boost Creep, sounds like a good name for a band. :rockon:

You might be on to something with that idea.

Users who are viewing this thread