Boost and Cam Questions

PooMomma

Established Member
So guys i have a 11gt with a built motor 9.5:1, stage 3 comp blower cams 1 7/8 L/T's and a clean up job on the heads. It has the 2.3 whipple with a 3.125 pulley on it. I am in Cali so its tuned on 91 and only puts down 550hp. What do you guys think the power numbers should be cause i think it would be WAY more.
Thanks

PooMomma

Established Member
Psi

It has a 3.125 pulley so i think that is around 10 psi. If you dont mind i would as on now like to leave the tuner out of it so he will remain nameless if thats ok. Also what do you all think about the cams? should you even be able to hear them? and as for the compression thats what i was told by the builder to keep it alive on 91.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Slap the 2.75 pulley on it. Hate to say it but a Whipple 2.3 has nothing on the 2.3 TVS.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Aren't you supposed to up the boost on the lower compression? As far as I know, cams don't give that nice lope on these cars.

BAD GT

Established Member
I would think you could run 16psi on pump gas no problem with the compression. probably pick up about 100hp plus.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I'm actually kinda surprised it puts down that much power on that low of a boost level with that low of compression. Lots of people with 11:1 compression running 10psi of boost on the stock bottom end.... I'd guess it would take a bit more boost to make up for the compression disadvantage.

D.T.R

Established Member
More than what it makes, why don't you find out what it runs or what it traps at the track instead? There are too many variables on dyno numbers, comparison wise.

KonaFifty

Established Member
Slap the 2.75 pulley on it. Hate to say it but a Whipple 2.3 has nothing on the 2.3 TVS.

all these low hp whipples are making me sad. is everyone just buying the stock package and running the ford tune or what? "to keep warranty"? vmp tvs looks good these days...

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
3.125 pulley with 9.5:1 compression though... I'm sure with more boost he will put down some great #'s.

implosive

Established Member
9.5 compression is super low compared to stock. Nothing to be sad about here guys, lower compression can run more boost on pump gas without the worries of detonation. Throw some boost at that motor op

ebrow21

Established Member
There is more to the number than JUST the number. Trans? Dyno type? Correction? 550 isn't bad considering the pulley/compression. Have you considered running Torco? You've already spent the money on a blower/longblock, a few bucks for a fuel additive shouldn't hurt too bad.

Also, I doubt you're at 10lbs on a 3.15in pulley w/ headers and aftermarket cams. My car on a 3.25 pulley, stock headers/heads/cams with JLT 127 and CJ65 TB made 10lbs. All that flow restriction is absent from your car.

Put a 2.875 on that thing, it will wake up.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
he could run torco but i doubt its needed at that compression unless they are trying to go crazy with the timing. i would raise the boost to whatever that little whipple can pump out and go from there. torco might be needed then because iat will be pretty high.

PooMomma

Established Member
new pulley

Well here you go. Got the new pulley 2.75, made 14.2psi and laid down the HP i paid for. With a 6mt and a Mustang Dyno. it put down 642hp/561tq. And as for all of the help thanks. will post video and dyno sheets soon.

And just my 0.02 dont hate on what another chooses to use. This stuff about whipple sucks tvs is better is just crap in my book. I am a man of no means, in the military and had to buy what i could get the best deal on.

ebrow21

Established Member
he could run torco but i doubt its needed at that compression unless they are trying to go crazy with the timing. i would raise the boost to whatever that little whipple can pump out and go from there. torco might be needed then because iat will be pretty high.

You're right, $20 per tank is just too much to ask when you spent $10k+ on handling/making the horsepower.

Well here you go. Got the new pulley 2.75, made 14.2psi and laid down the HP i paid for. With a 6mt and a Mustang Dyno. it put down 642hp/561tq. And as for all of the help thanks. will post video and dyno sheets soon.

And just my 0.02 dont hate on what another chooses to use. This stuff about whipple sucks tvs is better is just crap in my book. I am a man of no means, in the military and had to buy what i could get the best deal on.

No hate here, my Whipple works well.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

Easy there turbo.. I didn't see anybody hating on the Whipple. I had a 2.3 and now 2.9 and think the TVS platform has more potential.. either way it is what it is and that's what's on your car, glad you got it making more power. I bet it's a hoot to drive now. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread