Boeing 747 "Dreamlifter" landed at the wrong Wichita airport last night...

raustin0017

Established Member
Pilot must have missed a few key strokes in the mission computer. All airports have identifiers. McConnell AFB = KIAB, Jabara Airport = KAAO. Once the identifier is entered into the computer the aircraft's autopilot will fly directly to that location.

Those two will be looking for a new job.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
They park that fat cow at MIA right by where I live since atlas has a massive maint area at the airport. I see it on the regular just chillin in the corner.
They also have the new airbus flying to germany all the time. Fun to watch that thing take off or land as I'm driving down the highway.

I see one at MIA all the time too.

These guys should have some kind of aid to help ID the airport, else I can easily see how they make the mistake. I hear the airports are 8-10 miles apart? Easy to see in a car but these things can eat up distance quickly.

flyby763

Established Member
It's unbelievable, but it's not as far fetched as you guys are thinking.

Yes in this day of advanced rnav a place can navigate pretty precisely. Odds are he was vectored off course once he got near the airport though.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
It's happened before, i think a C-17 landed at some small airport in Florida recently too.

I honestly can't understand how these things still continue to happen, with computer GPS systems showing where you are, and tower control calling your approaches. How does shit like this happen?... And how do you mistake a 6K foot runway for that of a 12K foot one. I'd imagine being a pilot of a massive jet that you've had a LOT of experience with airfields and could tell the difference between a runway half the distance of the one you should be landing at...

Awaiting the NTSB or TSA drawing the pilots blood and a toxicology report coming back.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Pilot must have missed a few key strokes in the mission computer. All airports have identifiers. McConnell AFB = KIAB, Jabara Airport = KAAO. Once the identifier is entered into the computer the aircraft's autopilot will fly directly to that location.

Those two will be looking for a new job.

Or they were hand flying a visual where the localizer from McConnell lined up with the final for KAAO. That's pure speculation from me, but I'd be willing to bet that some sort of attention channelization along these lines lead to this incident. This happens a lot actually at Ft Bliss (KBIF) and El Paso (KELP). And the FMC in the 7-4 means Flight Management Computer. Not "mission" computer. Same sort of function though as in the -17, just not a gee whiz.

Last edited:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
freezing rain, sleet, ice, snow, blizzard like conditions, high winds on the prairie, -20 to 20º temps, colder wind chills, yup, winter should be fun for you.

then enjoy all the hail, high winds, tornadoes and lightning in the spring.

in the summer, enjoy the 105º temps, 100% humidity, 115º heat indexes, no breeze/wind, and no rain for weeks on end, lol.

Toto, now you're in Kansas.

fall...is nice, the one season that is actually stable, lol.
:beer:

Yep fall was nice. Unfortunately Kansas has some of the shittiest weather in America. The state and people aren't so bad, but I cannot stand constant cold wind, and the constant threat of hail/tornado's in the spring.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
10SM SCT041 SCT050 BKN070 04/03 A3003 RMK AO2..... Looks very much like VFR to me

Your correct, they came in before a cold front. I was thinking of the take off conditions when the ceiling was low and visibility was poor. (It's been a long week) :beer:

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Yep fall was nice. Unfortunately Kansas has some of the shittiest weather in America. The state and people aren't so bad, but I cannot stand constant cold wind, and the constant threat of hail/tornado's in the spring.

I grew up in Wichita, there is a reason I joined the Marine Corps instead of the Air Force. I went from Hawaii to San Diego, and now I'm in Oki. Weather is something I cannot complain about with my duty stations.

Blown 89

Established Member
That could have happened to anyone. Those of you thinking "That never would have happened to me," have probably never been in a position of responsibility where you could have made a mistake like this.
^This. For those of you who thinking it could never happen to you it's obvious you've never flown before. That stuff happens more often than you realize.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
i have an idea.

call Col. Doolittle. he'll get that sumbitch up in the air. if he can launch a B-25 off the deck of an WWII aircraft carrier with 417 feet of run runaway, he can get this big bird up...because at 418 feet, your dead.

860-25448_zpsf549929e.jpg

:lol: This story made me think of Doolittle as well :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread