Boeing 747 "Dreamlifter" landed at the wrong Wichita airport last night...

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
It need's over 9000ft to take off and 7000ft to land "heavy" (full of fuel and cargo.)
It burned through ALOT of fuel flying from New York and weighed less touching down in Wichita allowing them to stop in a shorter distance, although it sounds like they used nearly every foot of runway to stop after landing.
Before takeoff today they unloaded as much fuel and cargo as possible so it could take off in a shorter distance. They also flew in their best pilots to fly the dreamlifter out. They brought in a tug and backed it up to the very edge of the runway, and were close enough to a 4 lane highway (K96) that it was closed, the jetwash would have wreaked havoc flipping passing cars.
The weather also helped since we had a cold front come through this morning bringing with it cold dense air. It was in the 50s last night, when it took off it was 34°F and had a 20mph headwind.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
if it needs x amount of feet to take off, then how is it that it was able to take off in only 4500 feet?

either those estimates are really off, someone doesn't know the capabilities of their own airplane or (and I presume this is the answer) they are that way for safety standards? :shrug:

now I'm curious, what would have been done with this plane if it couldn't have taken off and made it to McConnell or another airport? :eek:

I know they said heavy but I heard a report saying it was empty. Might be why they could take off on that short a runway.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Last edited:

OU812

Established Member
LOL I wanted to drive over there to look at the plane since I'm in Wichita now. I know McConnell is a small Airforce base, but come on it's not that small. Funny thing I was having a conversation about the same thing yesterday, and what do you know... It happens the very next day.

Did you end up getting stationed at McConnell? I made it all of 5.5 months at that place before I decided that it would be my last duty station.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
if it needs x amount of feet to take off, then how is it that it was able to take off in only 4500 feet?

either those estimates are really off, someone doesn't know the capabilities of their own airplane or (and I presume this is the answer) they are that way for safety standards? :shrug:

now I'm curious, what would have been done with this plane if it couldn't have taken off and made it to McConnell or another airport? :eek:

Because it took off lighter from Jabara than it did from its original departure point. Thus it could take off and land in a shorter distance.

When they test the takeoff and landing capabilities, its worst case. Heaviest load, brakes in poorest conditions, etc. IIRC they test the braking force with almost no pad material (which will never happen) and do not throttle down and the plane has to still stop in X amount of distance.

If the plane could not have taken off, im sure they wouldve figured out a way. Strap some rocket boosters onto it like the C130s have to get up in a short runway.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Because it took off lighter from Jabara than it did from its original departure point. Thus it could take off and land in a shorter distance.

When they test the takeoff and landing capabilities, its worst case. Heaviest load, brakes in poorest conditions, etc. IIRC they test the braking force with almost no pad material (which will never happen) and do not throttle down and the plane has to still stop in X amount of distance.

If the plane could not have taken off, im sure they wouldve figured out a way. Strap some rocket boosters onto it like the C130s have to get up in a short runway.

:beer: thank you Thomas.

i figured it was worst case scenario/safety guidelines, but was more curious than anything.

ademily87

Established Member
Hey I see those planes every day :p

I work at the 787 plant in Charleston. I actually build the mid body section that these things carry.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member

Can a regular plane withstand the forces of strapped on rockets it wasn't designed to use???

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have an idea.

call Col. Doolittle. he'll get that sumbitch up in the air. if he can launch a B-25 off the deck of an WWII aircraft carrier with 417 feet of run runaway, he can get this big bird up...because at 418 feet, your dead.

860-25448_zpsf549929e.jpg

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Did you end up getting stationed at McConnell? I made it all of 5.5 months at that place before I decided that it would be my last duty station.

Yes I got orders to McConnell. It really doesn't seem all that bad really. The only thing I'm really worried about is adjusting to the cold.

Oh yeah and the first thing I saw on the flightline this morning was the DreamLifter. That thing is huge!

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Yes I got orders to McConnell. It really doesn't seem all that bad really. The only thing I'm really worried about is adjusting to the cold.

Oh yeah and the first thing I saw on the flightline this morning was the DreamLifter. That thing is huge!

freezing rain, sleet, ice, snow, blizzard like conditions, high winds on the prairie, -20 to 20º temps, colder wind chills, yup, winter should be fun for you.

then enjoy all the hail, high winds, tornadoes and lightning in the spring.

in the summer, enjoy the 105º temps, 100% humidity, 115º heat indexes, no breeze/wind, and no rain for weeks on end, lol.

Toto, now you're in Kansas.

fall...is nice, the one season that is actually stable, lol.
:beer:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I have met several people who work, of have worked, at Boeing. Not one of them has ever had anything bad to say about the organization. Usually they say things like, "Wish I was still there."

Hey I see those planes every day :p

I work at the 787 plant in Charleston. I actually build the mid body section that these things carry.

Hook me up with a job at Boeing, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread