BMW rant, oil consumption is 1 qt with less than 1500 miles WTF?

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I go through about 1 quart on my 2006 330I approx. every 1700 to 2000 miles....
I have about 119,000 on the car now.....

Castrol used as well from the dealership.....

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I go through about 1 quart on my 2006 330I approx. every 1700 to 2000 miles....
I have about 119,000 on the car now.....

Castrol used as well from the dealership.....
man, my 2008 135i is pushing 440 rwhp now. 40K on her and does not use oil at all.

I will not start to complain, she still gets 330 miles on a tank of gas, that is on the race program at 18-19psi.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Planter

Banned
My wife's BMW is showing low oil. I go to check it and guess what it has no dipstick.
Car oil level is monitored by computer so I guess you better trust a computer sensor. I'm hesitant to add because I like to know what it really is doing a quart low since the last oil change. Manual sayd if you over fill it there could be engine damage.

So I call BMW and it is 2012 and has less than 30k (factory warranty 50k).

Guy tells me it is normal to use 1qt of oil in 1500miles!!!

So I'm guessing its ok and "normal" to use 3qts in between oil changes. Synthetic so it goes like 5k between oil changes.

Does this sound normal?!
I would lose my mind if my mustang used 1 qt in 5k miles....

BMW owners past and present chime in...

be glad you dont have my car. 03 honda accord with 2.4 4 cyl, burns 5 qts of oil a month.

my issue is faulty oil rings installed from the factory by Honda. had this issue on my other accord, paid $2000 to have it fixed and while it was "better" problem still wasnt fixed because it still burned oil at about 2.5 qts a month instead of 5.

pretty much only two places oil can go. combustion chamber or on the ground. if its not one its the other.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My car is Terry'd out! This is the only think I don't have. I think my meth is cleaning the internals just fine. Running 75% meth now. Up from the 66% I used to run since I up'd the boost.

:beer: I bet the meth injection definitely keeps intake valves clean!

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
:beer: I bet the meth injection definitely keeps intake valves clean!
I have not opened her up, but from what other guys have posted it makes the oil catch can a nice to have, not a must have item.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have not opened her up, but from what other guys have posted it makes the oil catch can a nice to have, not a must have item.

I would definitely do it on a direct injection car, as there is no fuel thru the intake manifold, oil blow by will accumulate on the intake valves with no fuel to wash it off...In your case I would imagine the meth injection does a pretty good job of that...

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I would definitely do it on a direct injection car, as there is no fuel thru the intake manifold, oil blow by will accumulate on the intake valves with no fuel to wash it off...In your case I would imagine the meth injection does a pretty good job of that...
I just installed the Cooling Mist #12 injector. The original was 5 years old and the older sytle. this new one is a higher flow and finer mist. So far so good. I have to check the recent codes after changing plugs and the injector install. Normally the codes are for the rear O2 sensors not being in with the catless exhaust and DPs.

1hot281

Established Member
My 3-series never consumed oil like that. Mobil 1 0w40 and changes every 5k miles, maybe a 1/4 quart consumed by then... Which after 130k miles, seems reasonable.

Last edited:

Screamin363

Established Member
Took it in and it is a faulty sensor.

Problem solved.
Looks like the oil change is a actually every 15k miles. She is. 9k miles into it with no oil loss.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

Problem solved.
Looks like the oil change is a actually every 15k miles. She is. 9k miles into it with no oil loss.
I posted this in another thread. Oil companies say 3K to make money. manufacturers say 15K to save money. LOL, I go with 7k-10K to split the difference.

raustin0017

Established Member
OP....for what its worth. I owned a 2008 128i and 2009 M3 sedan. Those have both been sold. Wife currently drives a 2012 528i.

The 128i was traded in on the 528i and had 25,000 miles on it. Never once did I get a low oil message.

M3 was sold outright before I retired from the Air Force. It had 23,000 miles on it and it was driven like a M3. Drove that car hard and it liked it. Never once did I get a low oil message.

Current 528i has 12,000 miles and never once have we got a low oil message.

IMHO....BMWs don't use an abnormal amount of oil. If my service agent was to try and feed me that line of crap...I would speak to his leadership and keep taking it up the chain until I spoke to someone who understand the BMW quality standards.

Good Luck

MysticRob

Established Member
Because BMW.

.....seriously, all BMW's eat oil...just starts at different times. My 2008 BMW 335xi coupe didn't burn much, but then the turbos let go at 40k so..........there ya go.

Yeah, this. BMW TTs are known for consuming oil. I'm curious Sick03Vert, what exactly occurred with yours? I know the N54s often have wastegate rattling issues, so curious what the dealer told you. :beer:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Problem solved.

M3 was sold outright before I retired from the Air Force. It had 23,000 miles on it and it was driven like a M3. Drove that car hard and it liked it. Never once did I get a low oil message.

Problem with those cars apparently isn't oil loss, but the rod bearings burning up from lack of oil. Tolerances on the bearings are too tight and the oil is too thick to get into them. Engines are going bad around 60k miles.

Yeah, this. BMW TTs are known for consuming oil. I'm curious Sick03Vert, what exactly occurred with yours? I know the N54s often have wastegate rattling issues, so curious what the dealer told you. :beer:

Never had a problem with oil loss in my N54, had it for over 30k miles. Wastegate rattle I definitely had and the dealers either said it was normal or 'they didn't hear it'. There is a fix for it though, as the wastegate rods are adjustable.

The oil issue was solved, obviously you guys didn't read the whole thread.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
man, my 2008 135i is pushing 440 rwhp now. 40K on her and does not use oil at all.

I will not start to complain, she still gets 330 miles on a tank of gas, that is on the race program at 18-19psi.

Good lord... bravo!

My ISF doesn't seem to have an oil burning problem.. but it sure does hold a lot! 10 quarts!!!

Sick03Vert

Banned

Unsurprisingly, they were rather tight lipped.

I started noticing a power drop under WOT that seemed to be getting worse. At first, the dealer told me it was simply a wastegate issue and it wasn't opening fully to allow for proper function. :dw: Um...alright.

Got the car back, everything seemed ok'ish...still a little down on power but figured maybe it would get better. Instead, it got much worse. Next thing I know my TT coupe was a N/A POS that ran like complete crap. :fm:

Back to the same dealer, and they told me both turbos had "unspooled". :dw: I thought that's what they were supposed to do, but apparently something happened that wasn't supposed to. I believe there was something said about overspeeding the turbos....this was over a year and a half ago though, so I could be wrong.

First turbo car I ever owned, so I wasn't too familiar with the terminology. But long story short, they wanted to replace both turbos at an exorbitant cost. This was a car that had 40k miles on it, 32k when I bought it, and was never tuned or abused, by me anyway. I was pissed because I had just shelled out a couple hundred to have the hood repainted due to delamination in the black paint.

Would I recommend a BMW to someone? Yes...if you buy it new and have the factory warranty. But for an aftermarket tinkerer, I wouldn't. Parts were insane and the labor was worse. After replacing the driver's side seat track, A/C compressor, transmission valve body, and then the turbos.....no thanks. Fortunately, I actually made money when I sold it because I got the car for a great price and didn't sink any money in it. Was very fun to drive....very understated.:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread