BMW rant, oil consumption is 1 qt with less than 1500 miles WTF?

Screamin363

Established Member
My wife's BMW is showing low oil. I go to check it and guess what it has no dipstick.
Car oil level is monitored by computer so I guess you better trust a computer sensor. I'm hesitant to add because I like to know what it really is doing a quart low since the last oil change. Manual sayd if you over fill it there could be engine damage.

So I call BMW and it is 2012 and has less than 30k (factory warranty 50k).

Guy tells me it is normal to use 1qt of oil in 1500miles!!!

So I'm guessing its ok and "normal" to use 3qts in between oil changes. Synthetic so it goes like 5k between oil changes.

Does this sound normal?!
I would lose my mind if my mustang used 1 qt in 5k miles....

BMW owners past and present chime in...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Many manufacturers will claim this. In fact many of the 5.0 owners complained about similar oil consumption, especially on a newer engine.

Add oil as necessary and if something happens, file a warranty claim. Make sure to document your discussions with BMW.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
The hemi in my jeep did this as well. I started checking TSB's and apparently Chrysler has a TSB that quote's outrageous oil consumption numbers similar to that....

I have read about the BMW oil consumption issue in more than one place....Sad to say I think it's probably common...

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Not sure about BMW, but Subaru claims that 1QT every 1,200 miles is "normal" consumption.

Driving a car hard before the oil is warmed up can cause loss. Or using crappy oil. The problem with a lot of oil light systems are... they come on when they damage is already done.

I need to get a catch can or AOS because I have oil blow by that sits in my intercooler/tb hose after time so I try to make a habit to check my oil every other gas fillup.

Last edited:

Screamin363

Established Member
2012 BMW X3 twin turbo, 3.5X AWD

Also using Castroil(sp?)
Synthetic 5w30 as directed since BMW does the oil changes it should be ok.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Make sure she is warming it up before driving away. Women that crank the key and slam the car into R then D and fly out of the driveway need to have keys taken away from them.

And yes, most manufacturers these days will have zero qualms stating that 1qt every 1500mi is within acceptable limits. Chrysler especially.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
So your oil also runs through your turbos? Turbo cars are prone to burning more oil than a NA however, if your tech says it's normal I would honestly not worry about it. Or you can check around for oil leaks and prove to them that it's not normal which I doubt you'll win.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Because BMW.

.....seriously, all BMW's eat oil...just starts at different times. My 2008 BMW 335xi coupe didn't burn much, but then the turbos let go at 40k so..........there ya go.

LastChance

Established Member
I have a 2011 750Li that needs a qt. about every 5k or so. 1500 seems unusual. My dealer will top off for free and sometimes throws an extra qt. in trunk for me.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
2012 BMW X3 twin turbo, 3.5X AWD

Also using Castroil(sp?)
Synthetic 5w30 as directed since BMW does the oil changes it should be ok.
Take it in and ask for an equivalent replacement vehicle while they check it out. The turbo seals may be compromised, you could kill an engine or the turbos over this. High speed impellers are not fans of high density fluid droplets on top of higher heat on top of your 02 sensors hating oil droplets.
Under warranty and no mods, let them do their job! Hell it is like 15K between the free oil changes. That says something about the manufactors and oil companies. One would tell you every 3K and the other 15K, go figure!

Screamin363

Established Member
Well rolled the car out and let it warm up. Did a engine status and now it show full/max oil in the motor.
Pisses me off. If I had put oil in like the computer/service tech said when it said to do it I would be 1 qt over full right now.

It's definitely going back to BMW now. I'm not going any further without documentation.

Other than that the car is great, runs great and no mods.

I guess we will see what the dealer has to say about it.

Last edited:

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Wife's little 08 N/A inline doesn't burn anything crazy like that just turned 70k.

If you're worried now, hope you've got a LONG warranty with those turbos....or plans to sell when factory ends.

Users who are viewing this thread