Blue color on flywheel and pressure plate of clutch

swcmgr

Established Member
I expect to sell my car shortly, in fact, I might even trade it in, so keep this in mind with answering my question.

My T-45 transmission just happens to be out of my car (long story). The transmission works completely fine. However, upon inspecting the flywheel and clutch pressure plate, I noticed that they have that burned blue color on them that is a sign of overheating. I'm trying to decide if I should put the money into replacing these parts, but I'm not sure as the trans seems to work just fine.

Please tell me all that you know about blue burned steel, so I know if I should really replace it. Again, I will more than likely get rid of the car before the next 1000 miles. Is it really that bad? Does it make the clutch not bite as much? Will is make noise real soon? What's the real deal?

Thanks,

swcmgr

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
I would say it depends if you are going to trade it in or sell it to somebody. If selling it to someone, my answer would be to have the flywheel turned, which probably would get below the burned part, and replace clutch, pp and TOB. Stock flywheels are not that expensive either. Don't knowingly pass your problems on to someone else; I sure would not appreciate it. You've got it apart, so there's no additiona labor except r&r the flywheel.

Call Steve at Tissley (see sticky above), he's a good guy and can get you stock parts cheap and gets them to you quickly. Use a stock Ford TOB, btw, others just don't seem to hold up.

Just my .02.

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
If you know something is wrong and you don't do anything about it, you need to disclose it even if you are trading in.

Fixing it will give you peace of mind and some bargaining power on a trade or resell.

swcmgr

Established Member
Please try to refrain from moral judgments. I am trying to ascertain that something is actually mechanically wrong. For all I know the little bit of blue will burn off naturally. I'm not a trans expert here. If I knew something was truely wrong and traded it in that would be a different issue. Try to see the nuance of what I am asking. I'm not asking an ethical question. I am asking a purely technical one, which no one has really answered as of yet in a technical manner.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
the little bit of blue will likely not burn off naturally. Once something is glazed (brakes or clutch) the situation only degrades over time.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Did your clutch chatter much? A previous car of mine had some chatter to it and when I took it off the clutch off it had evidence of hot spots like you described. The hot spots were pretty small so I just deglazed the surface and bolted everything back up and it worked fine. Do you see any cracks in/near the hot spots? That's a sure sign that replacement is required. Good luck!

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Yes, there is something mechanically wrong. Either the clutch is slipping, had high rpm dumps, or severe chatter. The blue means it's been overheated. Look for small, tiny cracks, too. Again, you need to fix the problem; not reuse bad parts. If you know it's blue and been overheated, you answered your own question.

And, as far as moral judgements, yes, this is a moral judgement issue. Why would you re-use a bad clutch, pp, flywheel? These are not high dollar items. Do not pass your problems off onto someone else. Period.

Sorry if you don't like the "moral judgements" but putting those parts back in happens to be wrong if you are planning on selling/trading it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Take it to a machinist and have them check it out. When it gets hot like that it could warp. But it might be able to be turned to get rid of the blue and level it out. The pressure plate is done. It's probably warped. Just pick up a stock replacement clutch to throw in there. You can say it has a new clutch as a bonus when you sell it.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Resurface the flywheel and install a new clutch.
The blue is from heat, and will only get worse.
Trading it in or selling it gives you an extra item on the plus side.

swcmgr

Established Member
And, as far as moral judgements, yes, this is a moral judgement issue.

Relax preacher--the original clutch assembly worked perfectly! I just happen to have had the trans out and was poking around and found a little blue. However, as things turned out, I did ultimately have the flywheel cut and I also put in a new SPEC clutch (with higher HP rating) because I think I will keep the car a bit longer.

swcmgr

Last edited:

bent99

Established Member
Put that sucker back in there as long as it is not slippin. You dont have to disclose anything to a dealer if you are trading it in. Believe me I work at a dealer (honda) and our used car managers look at the paint, body lines,tires and condition of interior. They figure they are gonna beat you up so bad on trade in value ,they will gamble that the rest of the car is good. I know someone here is gonna hate on me for this but oh well. peace Shoot just read your final post disregard my post please . The haters can still hate on me though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread