Blu-ray Player? Which one to get?

CLOCKWO12K

Custom User Title
Established Member

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
You might as well get a PS3. For a good standalone BR player you are going to pay nearly the same amount, so you might as well get a gaming console while you are at it.

CLOCKWO12K

Custom User Title
Established Member
i've heard the ps3 isnt that great of quality, and i'm not as concerned with the price.
(my computer monitor[1080p] and the graphics card hdmi setup cost me well over $2k, and the quality is phenominal)
i just want your recommendations. all i've been recommended is Denon so far, so if anyone out there owns anything other than a Denon your input would be appreciated.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
I have a samsung and its 1080p. I have a ps3 and have watched blu ray movies on it and then turn around and throw in a game. I don't have any complaints, everything is always crystal clear.

CLOCKWO12K

Custom User Title
Established Member
maybe i will check into the ps3's then, i'll honestly probably never buy any game for it tho.:shrug:

(scratch that, i probably would buy some games and never play them)

any other input? come on guys i know a bunch of you have blu-ray players, what are your suggestions?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My dad has a blu ray for his Samsung 46" 1080p but I can't remember what brand it is. It's badass though. I on the other hand have an old Magnavox CRT with a VHS player :) haha.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
There is a lot to choose from, There is the LG BD-300 its the first Blu-ray player to support instant streaming from Netflix. Sony just brought out two new models the S350 and S550. It all depends on what your looking for. Try avsforum.com i'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
i've heard the ps3 isnt that great of quality, and i'm not as concerned with the price.
(my computer monitor[1080p] and the graphics card hdmi setup cost me well over $2k, and the quality is phenominal)
i just want your recommendations. all i've been recommended is Denon so far, so if anyone out there owns anything other than a Denon your input would be appreciated.

I think most of the knock I have heard about the PS3 player is that it does not have a direct 24p input.

Most of the film shot for movies is in 24p so you want to make certain that whatever brand you buy has the ability to process 24p material without converting it to 60 or 30. That and of course your TV needs to be 120mhz. I have also seen 480 mhz which is fine too. It just needs to be a multiple of 60 and 24.

Dragnut

Established Member
blu ray

I have been using a Sony BluRay player with an HDMI feed for about 9 months on my 92" screen setup with a Yamaha receiver and its great.

I don't even buy bluray dvd's anymore because it upgrades the pic on regular ones very well as far as I am concerned.

Mullet

Established Member
I think most of the knock I have heard about the PS3 player is that it does not have a direct 24p input.
This was added in firmware update 1.80 back in June of 07

I would seriously consider the PS3 as it can do many things most standalone blu-ray players can not if any of these things are of interest to you.

1. Internet connection means firmware updates that guarantee it will always be ready for the latest blu-ray specs and other improvements.
2. If you have alot of music/videos on your pc they can all be streamed over your home network to your ps3 for use on your home theater.
3. Playstation store now has movies/tv shows for buy/rent at reasonable prices.
4. Since playstation network is free you always have the choice to download free demos or smaller network games if you feel the urge.

I found this review online comparing the ps3 to a couple standalone players that might be worth a look, the ps3 is better in some areas and worse in others it all depends what you want. Good luck and enjoy Blu-Ray!
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-ps3-bluray,review-1118.html

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
anyone have experience with bluray players for PC? IDE connection...

looking to replace my dvd-rw cause it's going out...

not sure ide has the bandwidth for bluray. I have an sata drive and its great but you need the rest of the hardware. Cant forget about hdcp so your video card and monitor need to support it.

back to the OT i have a samsung Blueray player and a ps3 , there is no way i could tell the difference. with the being said the players are now cheaper then the ps3 so thats a toss up.
there are issues to keep in mind though like firmware updates PS3 easy as pie. but some stand alone players cant even be upgraded so you would be sol.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Last edited:

02ponyboy

Established Member
I got a Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray and it produces a great picture and loads pretty fast.. i love it...

Users who are viewing this thread