Blown 01 Cobra vs. 480whp Wrx Sti

Cobie03

Established Member
Yep he blew his motor! Thats what I heard and thats why it is being pulled. Some company called TurboTrix is doing his work I think. The guy is also eliminating his top mount intercooler in favor of a very large front mount. I even heard he sold the 50 shot and bought a 75 shot. I would love to know where people like him get $ like this to keep modding his car. Just the engine alone will cost a small fortune. And oh yea I decided not to run him for cash as I fell I will get my ass handed to me with all of his new shit. Don't you guys agree?
BTW I dynoed last november and am putting down 468rwhp 421rwtq. :beer:

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
TurboTrix does good work, I think they have the quickest and fastest evo8 at the moment.

Must be nice to have the money to blow up engines like that, then pay someone like TurboTrix to rebuild it.

Yeah, I wouldn't race him for money, race him for fun though and let us know. Hopefully he won't blow it up again :nonono:.

silversti

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
If I got an STi the first thing to go would be the wing. Great post!

yea, i bet you'd be pretty embarassed getting spanked by a car with a wing on it.....which is exaclty what would of happened had you been in that race......i hate the wing on mine too but its heritage baby :)......just busting your balls

Last edited:

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
mx_9 said:
My STi is stock and on a good 5k quick-clutch release I spin all 4 wheels for somewhere between 5 and 10 feet. With AWD you either Bog off launch, burn some clutch, or spin all your wheels. The 1/4 mile guys probably minimize wheel spin...I dunno, never saw one run the 1/4.

As far as the tranny, I remember reading about a 600HP one-lap car (one lap of America) that was using the stock tranny.
Best thing to do is spin a little off the line rather than bog the shit out of it (since the hp/tq curves on stis are rather miniscule). All my dsm buddys run 4 radials and spin a little off the line, lets them run 1.5x 60fts or so. Nice runs, look forward to seein a video when you get the mt's on :rockon:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
IE Evo said:
That tranny is bulletproof from what i understand unlike the EVO.

I was reading the latest C&D this morning and they had a review of an EVO that they modded slightly. It had exhaust, cams, cam gears, and a tune.

They said the ride quality on the EVO is horrible and is a tiring car to drive. They also said, and I quote:
"The problems and the lack of reliability made the Evo an even less desirable ride. Furthermore, if the EVO had been our only ride, we would have spent days on foot. Sure, it was ridiculously fast, but with so many problems in such a short amount of time, even when it was running right, you always felt like you were driving on borrowed time."

I think I'd rather have an STi any day.

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
NyteByte said:
I was reading the latest C&D this morning and they had a review of an EVO that they modded slightly. It had exhaust, cams, cam gears, and a tune.

They said the ride quality on the EVO is horrible and is a tiring car to drive. They also said, and I quote:
"The problems and the lack of reliability made the Evo an even less desirable ride. Furthermore, if the EVO had been our only ride, we would have spent days on foot. Sure, it was ridiculously fast, but with so many problems in such a short amount of time, even when it was running right, you always felt like you were driving on borrowed time."

People that buy evos care about performance not ride quality, magazine writers always complain about the lack of "comfort". :cryying:

Also, that particular evo was in an accident, and it didn't have any major reliability issues other than the factory clutch dying early, what do you want though, the car was making over 100hp than stock, it needed a stronger clutch to handle all those launches they were throwing at it.

Most of the "problems" were stupid little things like the 02 sensor backing out (???), a sticky BOV, and a tune that was to aggresive. Basically the little things we all go through when modding. Those guys should stick to writing articles about factory stock cars for the masses.

Last edited:

C5Convertible

Established Member
Nice races! :thumbsup:

Let me know if you guys want a camera car, I'm not too far from you!

What color is this STI so I know to look out for it? :poke:

Cobie03

Established Member
Whats up ForceFedC5 the STI was all black with a carbon fiber hood and carbon fiber "wingless" decklid it, it was really sweet looking car. Where in N.Y. are you located?

C5Convertible

Established Member
Cobie03 said:
Whats up ForceFedC5 the STI was all black with a carbon fiber hood and carbon fiber "wingless" decklid it, it was really sweet looking car. Where in N.Y. are you located?

I'm not much of a fan of 4 bangers but for some reason I've always like the STI.

I'm about 10 min from you in Yonkers! :-D

Cobie03

Established Member
ForceFedC5 said:
I'm not much of a fan of 4 bangers but for some reason I've always like the STI.

I'm about 10 min from you in Yonkers! :-D

Oh wow small world :thumbsup:! Do you ever hang out at nathans on Thursday nights in the summer? I didn't go much last year because I heard the cops had locked down pretty good. :beer:

C5Convertible

Established Member
Cobie03 said:
Oh wow small world :thumbsup:! Do you ever hang out at nathans on Thursday nights in the summer? I didn't go much last year because I heard the cops had locked down pretty good. :beer:

I go there once in a while! It's mostly rice and the police have been going nutz now, due to the ricer sh-t. Can't really blame them.

Ironically I was there the Thursday before last:

http://corvettekillstories.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4028

And two days ago also:

http://corvettekillstories.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4075

Maybe you can be the camera car for the rematch against the Porshe? :coolman:

Cobie03

Established Member
ForceFedC5 said:
I go there once in a while! It's mostly rice and the police have been going nutz now, due to the ricer sh-t. Can't really blame them.

Ironically I was there the Thursday before last:

http://corvettekillstories.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4028

And two days ago also:

http://corvettekillstories.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=4075

Maybe you can be the camera car for the rematch against the Porshe? :coolman:

Yea man I'm game for anything! Just PM me sometime and maybe we can meet up whenever. :D Oh yea BTW very nice website! :beer:

C5Convertible

Established Member
Cobie03 said:
And I forgot to say sounds like you got one badass vette there! :burnout:

Thanks for the props on the car and website!

You'll never see me disrespect a Terminator, you never know what it'll have! (=my N20 ON)

We've got to hang out one day. I've never been for a ride in one either... :dw:

IE Evo

Established Member
NyteByte said:

Go get an Evo and Sti and mod them both and tell me what you would rather have. The Evo in question was beat on very severely(raced and abused) and yes they are not a great street car. Also the person that worked on the Evo ***ed up some things IMO and yes the stock clutch is a POS and will fail with significantly more power. FWIW STI is a better street car than both the Terninator and Evo IMO. Terminater and Evo are better performing cars and with more power/performance equals more maintenance. That article proves nothing and the Evo is just a great street legal track car for 30 k and the Cobra is a great street legal drag car. Car and Driver has reasons for that article and I can tell you this they love the EVO for racing but as a street car their opinions are valid and true. :beer:

Last edited:

IE Evo

Established Member
rphinney said:
Those STI's and EVO's launch like crazy,
On the street is the only place we have a real advantage. At the track Drag radials more than make up for our advantage and u guys flip the script on us. Some get upset with 1.6 and 1.7 60 fts and i would be estatic with a 1.7 60 ft. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread