Blown 01 Cobra vs. 480whp Wrx Sti

Cobie03

Established Member
It was a race that has been waiting to happen over 2 weeks. We just had to wait when the weather got alittle better and we both had time. First let me tell you guys alittle about this Sti. This guy has been bragging about how fast and sick his car is. The car as far as I know has the following: a t3/t4 turbo, larger top mount intercooler, turboxs rfl bov, aem standard loan fmu, custom exhaust and 4in. downpipe, sf connectors, coil-over suspension and a boost controller. He also has a 50 shot of nos but it is not hooked up yet.
We finally agree to do this race and I can only say I am sorry I did not get it on video (I asked the guy to bring a video camera but he forgot). So we go to an isolated area which is maybe just a hair over a 1/4 mile and line up. I heat my tires up alittle and am ready to go. Another guy that came with us gives us the go and drops his hands, all I can say is that f***ing sti took off like a bat out of hell with very little traction problems. I was spinning through 2nd but he was just too far ahead for me to catch up (at least 3 cars on me). STi 1 Cobra 0.
2nd race we line up again before I do a better job at heating up the tires and the same guy drops his hands. I do a much better launch this time but the Sti takes off just as good and jumps out I'd say by 1 1/2 almost 2 car lengths. I am gaining some ground this time but end up losing by probably 1 car or so. Sti 2 Cobra 0.
3rd race we move to another location a much longer roadway and decide to do it from a roll. We both agree to go from a 40 mph roll. I give the three honks and take off. I get the lead and never look back I beat him by a good 2 cars. Sti 2 Cobra 1.
4th and final race another 40 mph roll but this time he gives the three honks. I take off and he does much better this time staying with me neck and neck until I shift to 3rd and at the end of my 3rd gear into 4th I pull away from him shutting down at around 130 or so.
Final outcome STI 2 Cobra 2. We both agreed to have a rematch when I get my 26x10 M/T drags on. Btw he was running 22 psi and I was running between 8-9 psi. max with a procharger P1sc and afm powerpipe. I also have 3.73 gears and a couple of other goodies ;-). This guys car is badass and has the look too, black car with carbon fiber hood and carbon fiber rear wingless deck lid. It was a fun night of racing and can't wait for the rematch. Oh and next time I will be sure to get the video recorder out there. :beer:

Bootbox

Established Member
Great post! Nice races too, that had to be a blast.

Does he have a built up tranny? I wonder how long the stock one will hold up to that kind of abuse at those power levels? I'm assuming he does the infamous 5000rpm clutch drop to rock the line that hard.

rphinney

Established Member
Those STI's and EVO's launch like crazy, luckily most dont have the HP to sustain a Cobra/Vette charge from behind, but if this guy is really in the 480 HP Range I can see how it would be harder than usual to reel him in.

480 WHP + Solid launch= Scary thought

Was the guy a good driver, I once ran a guy in an EVO that launched the car at such a high RPM he spun all 4 tires! I told him he was defeating the AWD purpose he didnt get it??? A new Tranny and Clutch will someday enlighten him I'm sure!

Cobie03

Established Member
Bootbox said:
Does he have a built up tranny? I wonder how long the stock one will hold up to that kind of abuse at those power levels? I'm assuming he does the infamous 5000rpm clutch drop to rock the line that hard.

As far as I know he has a stock tranny at least for now. I don't how much power a stock STI tranny can hold untill it blows maybe someone can enlighten me. Oh and all I know is that when he dropped the hammer is car was screaming off the line, so I would say it was up in the 5k rpm range. :beer:

Cobie03

Established Member
rphinney said:
Was the guy a good driverQUOTE]

Yea he is a very good driver. Before he bought the STI he had a blown Bullit and could drive the crap out of that car. He sold it and turned to the dark side and bought the STI. Now he drives the crap out of that car.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Nice race bud. The STi tranny is pretty bullet proof and can hold severe amounts of power (500whp+) without flinching. As for his mods if he is claiming 480whp i can tell you there is no way that he is running on the stock bottom end. They are very fragile above 400awhp and at those power levels i would give him a matter of days before its bye bye pistons. The STI has cast pistons which dont hold to big power levels very well. Either way, most street cars are going to have to play catch up to an STI or EVO from a stop on the street but a modded Cobra, Viper, Vette, Supra etc...... should have no problem catching up or from a roll. I had an STI but sold it to buy an 03-04 cobra.

Later,
Reg

Cobie03

Established Member
big reg said:
Nice race bud. The STi tranny is pretty bullet proof and can hold severe amounts of power (500whp+) without flinching. As for his mods if he is claiming 480whp i can tell you there is no way that he is running on the stock bottom end. They are very fragile above 400awhp and at those power levels i would give him a matter of days before its bye bye pistons. The STI has cast pistons which dont hold to big power levels very well. Either way, most street cars are going to have to play catch up to an STI or EVO from a stop on the street but a modded Cobra, Viper, Vette, Supra etc...... should have no problem catching up or from a roll. I had an STI but sold it to buy an 03-04 cobra.

Later,
Reg

Thanks for clearing that up Reg. As to the bottom end being stock or not I have no idea. I guess only time will tell if his goes boom. I see you are from NY, just curious as to where in NY.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Cobie03 said:
Thanks for clearing that up Reg. As to the bottom end being stock or not I have no idea. I guess only time will tell if his goes boom. I see you are from NY, just curious as to where in NY.
I am from the Troy-Albany area. My cousin has a modded 03 Cobra and one ride convinced me to sell the STI and start looking for one myself.

Later,
Reg

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Great post. Nice and short and to the point and not filled with elaborate crapp. That STI sounds awsome. I have to agree you need to get some better tires out back, Drag radials or slicks. Get the next race on video!

fre

Established Member
Yep sti tranny is a sweet deal. 22psi isn't that high for that kinda power. I have to push 27psi to make the same power. Of course he has another .5 liters. If he has stock internal, he is pushing it.

CaDDy

Banned
Mr. Mach-ete said:
Great post. Nice and short and to the point and not filled with elaborate crapp. That STI sounds awsome. I have to agree you need to get some better tires out back, Drag radials or slicks. Get the next race on video!

^ ------What he said

LeadPipe

Established Member
Good Kill/Death

Damn thats one bad sti. Its probably in mid 11s?

I think he should maybe change to a FMIC because i bet after 2 or 3 runs he was getting heat soaked. Then again he might have his own reasons. Get a video next time and pics of your car and his. Also love to see a fast sti/evo.

Cobie03

Established Member
I just found out he is getting his engine pulled next week and upgrading it so he can run even more boost. He also said he is installing the 50 shot in there as well :eek:! I don't talk to him personally but heard through the grapevine that he wants run me again, this time for cash when he is done with everything. I have to think about the $ part but if I decide to I will be running him with my slicks. Probably won't make that big of difference though, the guys car is an absolute freaking beast! :beer:

jgheels2003

Established Member
I'm a huge fan of Cobras and will probably own one in a couple years. Right now I'm driving a modded a STi, so threads like this definately interest me. Heres a link to a vid of an STi with a similar set-up to the guys future mods. It's pushing 590 at the wheels, full interior/AC? stereo, stock tranny, built 2.65L block, piggyback ECU control. Supposedly shoots a 35 shot to spool the turbo before the launch. Its latest run was a 10.2 @ 140. Heres a link to a vid 10.4 @ 136 running Hoosiers.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732204&page=5&pp=25

Vid is on message #123 if interested, wish I could do a direct link.

mx_9

Established Member
rphinney said:
Those STI's and EVO's launch like crazy, luckily most dont have the HP to sustain a Cobra/Vette charge from behind, but if this guy is really in the 480 HP Range I can see how it would be harder than usual to reel him in.

480 WHP + Solid launch= Scary thought

Was the guy a good driver, I once ran a guy in an EVO that launched the car at such a high RPM he spun all 4 tires! I told him he was defeating the AWD purpose he didnt get it??? A new Tranny and Clutch will someday enlighten him I'm sure!

My STi is stock and on a good 5k quick-clutch release I spin all 4 wheels for somewhere between 5 and 10 feet. With AWD you either Bog off launch, burn some clutch, or spin all your wheels. The 1/4 mile guys probably minimize wheel spin...I dunno, never saw one run the 1/4.

As far as the tranny, I remember reading about a 600HP one-lap car (one lap of America) that was using the stock tranny.

mx_9

Established Member
big reg said:

Later,
Reg

The One Lap car I mentioned above was using the stock short block.

Hopefully, this link will work:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667669&highlight=lap+america

" Perhaps most encouraging is that after 1 hour and 40 minutes of automotive torture the Element WRX was no worse for wear and was driven back to LA. Something that is very important is that this shows that the stock STI block is a very strong engine that is capable of big power and professional racing when properly tuned. It had taken all the force that professional driver Gary Sheehan could dish out, 24 lbs of boost from a 65 lbs compressor, and enough leaded race fuel to send the EPA into convulsions but all of the our sponsors components and all the Element Tuning parts had never felt better. "

EDIT: it's not the article I was originally thinking about biut I ran out of time during my search. I'll see if I can find the other article on the STi's block.

Last edited:

IE Evo

Established Member
Cobie03 said:
I just found out he is getting his engine pulled next week and upgrading it so he can run even more boost. He also said he is installing the 50 shot in there as well :eek:! I don't talk to him personally but heard through the grapevine that he wants run me again, this time for cash when he is done with everything. I have to think about the $ part but if I decide to I will be running him with my slicks. Probably won't make that big of difference though, the guys car is an absolute freaking beast! :beer:
Probably already blew. Like another has said above 400 whp the STI has problems keepin the engine intact. That tranny is bulletproof from what i understand unlike the EVO. Evo has the engine potential and STI has the drivetrain potential. 480 whp without being built is a recipe for disaster on an STI. It will not last long maybe 10 runs at the most. I ran one with close to 400 whp and last I heard he is building his motor and when confronted as to why his answers are vague at best. He does not want to admit that it blew. Also another friend blew his with about 420 whp but with 390 whp he managed an 11.8 at 117mph. It is being built and will be a 500 whp monster soon. :rockon: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread