BLOWER PULLEY TECH NEEDED

02yellowgt

this will probably be a first.

Looking for a larger pulley for my stock 03 cobra.(stop laughing)

I'm building a BIW for NASA AMERICAN IRON ROAD RACING with a totaled 03 cobra drivetrain. problem is the car weighs in at 3100 lbs and the rules have a power to weight ratio of 9.5 to 1. meaning every 9.5 pounds the car weighs you can have 1 rear wheel horspower

3100 - 9.5 = 326 rwhp So I 'm thinking if I can kill some boost I can reach those rwhp numbers. From my understanding the factory pulley is a 3.6

I'm thinking a 3.8 or so would kill enough boost. any other vehicles have larger pulleys? lightning , harley, supercoupe? Or does anybody know anybody that could do something like this.

My other option is to try and choke off air by making some type of air restrictor..

Any ideals?

03'Darin

Established Member
Call Steeda. I understand they made some larger pulleys for a Grand Am team.

Grand Am only allows 7lbs of boost for the 03 Cobras this year. And yes, only 7lbs of boost has made the car a back of the pack runner.

Lprimo

PhotoChop Cookie Masta
Established Member
Put about 3 strips of DUCT-TAPE on a Ford Factory Paper(AIR SMUGGLA) Filter...and you'll probably have to remove 2 strips to get up to 326hp....

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Have you checked with SFPHQ, I read one time that he made a 3.65 for the dub system, so he might be able to get you a bigger one.

Rick

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
you might be able to get doug at billetfow to custom fab you a pulley. PM dougwg

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by StevePoe
Just called them...they have no ideal what I was talking about guy was a complete idiot.. I hate that place. I wonder what size they run to get boost to 7 lbs. 3.8?

Thanks for the thought.

I'll do some checking and get back to you. I'm sure it was Steeda that was doing the work on the larger pulley. It was for the Fredrick GA team

Darin

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
I'll do some checking and get back to you. I'm sure it was Steeda that was doing the work on the larger pulley. It was for the Fredrick GA team.

Darin

02yellowgt

Darin, went and checked out grand-am web site for rules.. All it says is that factory supercharged car must use oem pulley. I doubt they have changed pulleys.I also found no rule for limitting boost to 7 lbs. If that rule does exist and they haven't changed the blower pulley I wonder how they are doing it.

Steve

03'Darin

Established Member
Darin, went and checked out grand-am web site for rules.. All it says is that factory supercharged car must use oem pulley. I doubt they have changed pulleys.I also found no rule for limitting boost to 7 lbs. If that rule does exist and they haven't changed the blower pulley I wonder how they are doing it.

Steve

Grand Am did some really shady sh!t pertaining to the 03' Cobra's. Last year, when they first approved the 03', they listed the rules as pulley being stock and boost TBD.

Late last year in the off season they announced the boost as 1900 nbs absolute, which works out to about 12 lbs.

A couple of weeks before the 04 season was going to start at Daytona they revised the rules to 1400 nbs absolute, here in revised rules.. http://www.grand-am.com/competition/2004 Tech Bulletins/Technical Bulletin 2004-02A.pdf , which works out to just under 7 lbs of boost.

If you do any research on the Grand Am rules on which cars are approved with what weight and engine combos you will see that for some reason they DON'T want the 03' Cobra to be competitive in that series.

Darin

APTEN

Apten Performance
Established Member
we could just tune it and pull some timing near your peak HP so you still have a ton of midrange power and torque but lower the peak numbers.

Brian

02yellowgt

Brain, you could do this and still keep it under a certain rwhp at all times?

I was going to go over to pauls automotive in cincinnati later to see exactly what my options would be by doing this. They have told me they have worked with apten so maybe they will know.

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
I like Brian's suggestion...maximize available torque but limit the top end HP per the class rules. This sounds like it will give you the best overall advantage.

02yellowgt

My only problem is they also have a maximum torque ratio of 9.1 - 1 .. Sorry forgot to mention that.

So everything is by rwhp #'s

9.5 to 1 for rwhp and 9.1 to 1 for rear wheel torgue

Brian, think this could be done?

giving the car is 3100 lbs the numbers would have to be

326 hp and 340 rwtq max.. I could put some weight in the car

3200 lbs is 336 351
3300 lbs is 347 362

Any more weight then this I just as well would be driving a tank around the track. the spec tire and upgradeded stock brakes would be being pushed to the limit.

03'Darin

Established Member
My only problem is they also have a maximum torque ratio of 9.1 - 1 .. Sorry forgot to mention that.

So everything is by rwhp #'s

9.5 to 1 for rwhp and 9.1 to 1 for rear wheel torgue

Brian, think this could be done?

giving the car is 3100 lbs the numbers would have to be

326 hp and 340 rwtq max.. I could put some weight in the car

3200 lbs is 336 351
3300 lbs is 347 362

Any more weight then this I just as well would be driving a tank around the track. the spec tire and upgradeded stock brakes would be being pushed to the limit.

Steve,

will you guys be running any events at Summit Point? If so, when?

Darin

02yellowgt

Darin, the midwest doesn't run summitt. the east does. schedule for east. 2004
AI/AIX/CMC Schedule
Month Weekend Region Track
April 3-4 VA CMP
May 21-23 VA Shenandoah @ Summit Point
June 10-11 VA Summit Point
19-20
Father's Day SE Road Atlanta
July 10-11 VA Summit Point
30-31 VA VIR North
August 1
21-22 MW Mid-Ohio
September 4-5 VA VIR Full
18-19 VA Shenandoah @ Summit Point
October 23-24 VA Summit Point
November 6-7 VA Summit Poi

you can find info at www.racenasa.com or americaniron-east

Steve

03'Darin

Established Member
Darin, the midwest doesn't run summitt. the east does. schedule for east. 2004
AI/AIX/CMC Schedule
Month Weekend Region Track
April 3-4 VA CMP
May 21-23 VA Shenandoah @ Summit Point
June 10-11 VA Summit Point
19-20
Father's Day SE Road Atlanta
July 10-11 VA Summit Point
30-31 VA VIR North
August 1
21-22 MW Mid-Ohio
September 4-5 VA VIR Full
18-19 VA Shenandoah @ Summit Point
October 23-24 VA Summit Point
November 6-7 VA Summit Poi

you can find info at www.racenasa.com or americaniron-east

Steve

Thanks Steve!!

I'm doing a track event at Summit May 21st (on the main course). I'll have to swing over to the Shenandoah course to check out the AI cars before I leave.

Is anyone running the AI event the weekend of May 21st at Summit???

Darin

Last edited:

wyd_trkr

-
Established Member
this will probably be a first.

Looking for a larger pulley for my stock 03 cobra.(stop laughing)

I'm building a BIW for NASA AMERICAN IRON ROAD RACING with a totaled 03 cobra drivetrain. problem is the car weighs in at 3100 lbs and the rules have a power to weight ratio of 9.5 to 1. meaning every 9.5 pounds the car weighs you can have 1 rear wheel horspower

3100 - 9.5 = 326 rwhp So I 'm thinking if I can kill some boost I can reach those rwhp numbers. From my understanding the factory pulley is a 3.6

I'm thinking a 3.8 or so would kill enough boost. any other vehicles have larger pulleys? lightning , harley, supercoupe? Or does anybody know anybody that could do something like this.

My other option is to try and choke off air by making some type of air restrictor..

Any ideals?

StevePoe, we could very easily help you with your solution here, as we make supercharger pulleys for all Eaton M45, M62, M90, M112 , Kenne Bell - AutoRotor applications. We also do several Import and Honda MotorSport Racing - Jackson Racing applications as well.

I would suggest getting a 3.8" to 4.0" SC Pulley made in either our DUB Interchangeable Pulley System, or a Steel Press-On in either size mentioned above.

Email me at : [email protected] or call me to discuss at 1-772-468-3585 Hope this helps.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread