blower pulley mod(what's needed?)

DirtyDan10

Established Member
was thinking about doing the blower pulley mod but what else is needed to complete the mod do i have to change the idler pulley or get a smaller belt? and does the car need to be tuned after a pulley upgrade?

JW03

Established Member
I'm interested as well. From what I understand though the smallest you can go is 2.76. You will need a smaller belt as well as a tune. Some people experience belt slip so they add a tensioner as well. Hopefully someone else will chime in as I am not 100% sure myself!

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
If you go with a smaller upper pulley, it is a good idea to get an auxilary idler too. You will need a shorter belt and a tune, as well as different plugs.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
A pulley upgrade can be tricky. You might or might not need help with fuel. Some do, some don't.

I would get a 4 piece idler set. The stock stamped steel idlers are prone to explosion.

New plugs as mentioned.

Yes, you WILL need a tune. Without a doubt. Running an upper without a tune is the best way to buy a new motor.

As for the fuel, I added a boost-a-pump and it covered my needs for fuel. Some people get away without it though. Your tuner will know for sure whether you need help with fuel.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Yeah, but the power increase for the amount of cash you spend is completely worth it. These cars are quick in stock form, but man I tell you, once you do the pulley, it's how the car should have come from the factory. It's so much fun!

Plus, most tuners will charge you a flat rate up front, and then only dyno time in the future if you ever need a re-tune for more power, etc.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
2.76" Pulley, 3-100mm idlers, 90mm Aux. idler, will require K080760 belt. You MUST get a tune and fuel help like a BAP. If youre going that far, buy 60# injectors and get your bower ported too. That combo will net you ~500hp.

DirtyDan10

Established Member
isnt it a risk porting a blower doesnt a person really have to no what hes doing? if i really wanted to go bananas i did think about a whipple.....

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
2.90 pulley here. No idler, no other mods aside from a dyno tune. Stock intake and stock catted exhaust made 444/447 to the tires.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A pulley upgrade can be tricky. You might or might not need help with fuel. Some do, some don't.

I would get a 4 piece idler set. The stock stamped steel idlers are prone to explosion.

New plugs as mentioned.

Yes, you WILL need a tune. Without a doubt. Running an upper without a tune is the best way to buy a new motor.

As for the fuel, I added a boost-a-pump and it covered my needs for fuel. Some people get away without it though. Your tuner will know for sure whether you need help with fuel.

Usually a tune is needed, but if you're going from the stock 3.65 to an upper larger than 3.2 (very uncommon, of course) it isn't always necessary. Even then, always check the A/F to be safe. Pulleys as small as 2.60 (which requires machining of the blower snout) are available. Here's a video of a 2.60 upper with a 4 lb. lower and ported blower. Gotta love that blower whine!

[youtube_browser]kMy7so7cbcQ[/youtube_browser]

Dirty Dan, I recommend you browse through my Terminator FAQs. You'll find a lot of good, basic, helpful info. There is even info related to this very question, and more, including belt sizes. Browse down to the Modifications section. Here's the link. Terminator FAQs

SpectorV

Established Member
Hub for pulley
Pulley (2.93 or what ever, some times a tune will work for say a 2.93 and a 2.76, always check on dyno for sure though)
the idler pulleys
New idler bracket/pulley for better belt wrap
Spark plugs (NGK TR6-IX (Iridium) gaped .38 is what I did)
Tunner/Tune

You may need maf/pumps etc who knows but generally on a 2.93 you are ok~ cold weather makes it worse so if you are borderline in the summer you will be unsafe when its colder.

Slow99x

Established Member
2.76 or 2.8 is the most common upper only size.
A 4 idler/aux pulley setup is highly recommended as per the stock pullies tend to explode(as stated above)
A Diablo Sport MAFia or SCT BA MAF might be needed
NGK TR6 plugs gapped to .32-.35
A KB BAP might be needed if your pumps are at 100% duty cycle
An SCT handheld programmer and a custom tune on a Dyno is needed
An intake system or exhaust help too
If you don't have an intake yet but want one, get it before you get the tune so you can get it tuned all at once and not have to go back for a retune

BTW, a stock size belt will work for a 2.76/2.8 if you have an aux idler but buy a spare just in case you shred it. You don't want to get stuck somewhere running on only battery to get you home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread