Blew up my motor

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
I do post here a lot, but have posted since 2000

I don't normally complain about a company, but this time I had to say something

I ordered a built engine this past winter, was supposed to be 9.5:1 compression, but showed up 11.5:1 I tried to send it back, but they refused to take it back, as it was a custom build. So I kept the motor, but it has never been right, It has always been loud, found a bad tensioner, replaced it which helped, but still always loud

Well recently it just died at about 60 to 100 feet at the track, towed it to a friends shop, and found it broke a lower timing chain gear, which broke a secondary chain, and a bunch of rockers

So I brought it to another shop, they pulled the motor, and found not only did the lower timing chain gear, rockers fail, but when they took it apart they found the pistons were hitting the heads

The company tried to tell me since I opened the valve cover they won't stand behind it.

Also when it got to the new engine builder they found all pistons were different sizes, and excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance

So I start to go through my paper work, and find my build sheet which is 6 pages, only one page is from my build, and has my engine job on it. The other 5 pages are from some other engine build, started before we even finalized what I wanted. Even if that engine job was what they used, the specs of the pistons, and cylinders don't match what the paper work said

I will let these pictures speak for themselves, and you can come out to your own conclusions

Look at the Job number, and the dates, have to do two posts for all the pics

Attachments

• motor (2).JPG
    motor (2).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,545
  • motor (1).JPG
    motor (1).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,553
  • crankgear.jpg
    crankgear.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1,504
  • studs.jpg
    studs.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 1,557
  • L6.jpg
    L6.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,480

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
rest of pics I have for now. You can see the wrong build number was stared before we even had all the parts ordered, so really have no idea what I even got

I know you take a chance when you race, but when you ask them about using a billet can chain gear, and they say it isn't needed, but that's what failed, and then you find pistons hitting the heads, something was wrong with there assembly and quality control

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,509
  • L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,491
  • L3.jpg
    L3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,509
  • L4.jpg
    L4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • L5.jpg
    L5.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 1,488

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
When the sprocket failed it caused all the other damage. It wouldn't have run if the pistons were hitting the heads the whole time.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
When the sprocket failed it caused all the other damage. It wouldn't have run if the pistons were hitting the heads the whole time.

Yes I know when the sprocket failed, it caused the valve marks, you can see that's fresh. Though you can tell the marks on the heads and corresponding piston marks are not fresh. They must have just been kissing the heads

vortecd

Established Member
Sorry about your engine. I have read a few bad stories from them

heart_attack

Established Member
I had a feeling it was going to be them. I'm local and there reputation is hit and miss. Seems like a lot more misses.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Post the email or document discussing 8.5 compression and their response.

19kobra99

Screwd by Ford
Established Member
Just curious as to what Pistons were used in your engine. I had a ticking from my build and seems like I had the same issue. Pistons actually touching the little triangle shaped protrusion between the valve reliefs. Mine were Manley. I actually ended up sending the car off to a friend who took the heads off and milled down just the head side of the protrusion. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445388969.673239.jpg

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Just curious as to what Pistons were used in your engine. I had a ticking from my build and seems like I had the same issue. Pistons actually touching the little triangle shaped protrusion between the valve reliefs. Mine were Manley. I actually ended up sending the car off to a friend who took the heads off and milled down just the head side of the protrusion. View attachment 53131

Ya that's exactly what happened on mine. as far as I know they are Ross pistons, it says that in one of the build sheets, but being a different build number who really knows

KPatrone

Established Member
rest of pics I have for now. You can see the wrong build number was stared before we even had all the parts ordered, so really have no idea what I even got

I know you take a chance when you race, but when you ask them about using a billet can chain gear, and they say it isn't needed, but that's what failed, and then you find pistons hitting the heads, something was wrong with there assembly and quality control
It says 11.5:1 in your invoice you posted. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble especially with the amount they charge for their services. When I was sourcing builders, they priced themselves out even with all their top of the line machining they promote. I hope you can get it up and running again.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Ya that's exactly what happened on mine. as far as I know they are Ross pistons, it says that in one of the build sheets, but being a different build number who really knows

Damn, first I've heard of that. Hope they make it right at this point!

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Wow, wasn't expecting it to be Livernois. I know a lot of guys in the LS world use them and all have fantastic things to say. I actually planned on using their 11.5:1 rods/pistons in my car. Guess I might wanna look somewhere else.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
It says 11.5:1 in your invoice you posted. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble especially with the amount they charge for their services. When I was sourcing builders, they priced themselves out even with all their top of the line machining they promote. I hope you can get it up and running again.

that's what was the invoice that came with the engine.

this is the estimate I approved, yes in a later invoice it said 11.5:1 but I will admit I missed that

They knew I ordered a 15% overdrive blower pulley, and planned on high boost, low compression, when the engine came in I had to swap out the 15% lower pulley for a 5% pulley.

Attachments

• L10.jpg
    L10.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,324
  • L11.jpg
    L11.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,283

Newbomb Turk

Established Member
That's why I build my own engines, learned years ago not to trust engine builders, bunch of BSing thieves!!! If I don't know how to build it, ask & research!!

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Livernois tanked my f150 motor with too much timing then proceeded to throw Stainless Works under the bus with their o2 extensions.. You should have heard the BS they came up with to get out of admitting fault..

toomnymods

Established Member
list is getting shorter and shorter of reputable companys that i'll trust to build my sleeved shortblock next year..
L&M, MPR, or RGR

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread