Blew up my clutch!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So I had felt my clutch slipping, and started to feel some additional rattle on the clutch and knew it was on it's way out. In addition my throw out bearing was squeaking a bit more then normal so I'm thinking this puppy is gonna shatter soon.

So today as I'm driving normal the clutch pedal gets hard then soft and the clutch rattles and makes a nasty noise. The shifter is stuck in first and will NOT come out. SO I shut the car off and it comes out... Throw it in reverse and pull off to the side. Throw it in first and start driving... putting the clutch in doesn't do what it should and the car starts to act like it's still in gear and engaged even with the clutch in... then I see a piece of what looked like my clutch hit the ground and come out the back.

I pull to the side and then wait a bit... throw it in second and start the car and limp it home. When I arrive same thing.... So I'm thinking the clutch blew up and the flywheel is fried. The throwout bearing will need to be replaced as well.

SO..... I'm looking at a few options.

1. Spec 03-04 Cobra P-Trim Super Twin Disc Clutch Kit
- Does this kit come with everything I need?
2. Spec 3+
3. Another Centerforce DFX

Thoughts? :pop:

Juruense

Banned
Why would you wait until the clutch totally failed to replace it? When you do that you usually cause additional damage and repair cost.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Why would you wait until the clutch totally failed to replace it? When you do that you usually cause additional damage and repair cost.
I agree, I just didn't think it would go this quick. The DFX was a nice clutch and held well, but the pedal was a daily leg press and there was a little bit of chatter when it initially went in and then at the end of it's life.

I'm thinking of going with the Spec twin disk or the ram twin disk kit to see what difference it makes to the driveability of the car. Hoping for a better clutch pedal feel, and minimal chatter. I'll look into the spec 3+, but the 1300rwhp holding power of these twin disks, which I believe are used in many hp luxury car applications makes it appealing to me.

We'll see... Keep the suggestions rolling. :beer:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I recently upgraded to 3+ after running SPEC3 since 2003 and I've been happy with them both

Obviously, the twin-disc is in a different league so I'm not sure why you're comparing it to singles

DFX SUCKS, so you can easily eliminate that choice....

I didn't see you mention pilot bearing but you should definitely replace it because it's probably fried from the heat

Last edited:

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
So I had felt my clutch slipping, and started to feel some additional rattle on the clutch and knew it was on it's way out. In addition my throw out bearing was squeaking a bit more then normal so I'm thinking this puppy is gonna shatter soon.

So today as I'm driving normal the clutch pedal gets hard then soft and the clutch rattles and makes a nasty noise. The shifter is stuck in first and will NOT come out. SO I shut the car off and it comes out... Throw it in reverse and pull off to the side. Throw it in first and start driving... putting the clutch in doesn't do what it should and the car starts to act like it's still in gear and engaged even with the clutch in... then I see a piece of what looked like my clutch hit the ground and come out the back.

I pull to the side and then wait a bit... throw it in second and start the car and limp it home. When I arrive same thing.... So I'm thinking the clutch blew up and the flywheel is fried. The throwout bearing will need to be replaced as well.

SO..... I'm looking at a few options.

1. Spec 03-04 Cobra P-Trim Super Twin Disc Clutch Kit
- Does this kit come with everything I need?
2. Spec 3+
3. Another Centerforce DFX

Thoughts? :pop:

im running a dfx right now and to be honest , i dont like the chatter... if you go with spec keep me posted on how the clutch works out for you...
Good luck :beer:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
^Holy monsterous sig

You will want to make sure nothing else is f'ed up. How did pieces of our clutch disc get out of the bell housing??? Odd, i'd look into a new retainer sleeve bc depending on the damage your tob did you may need a new one. The ldc freeplay kit is something i'd recommend with an aftermarket clutch along with a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant. Do you already have a 26 spline input shaft?
This would be a good time to do a head cooling mod also, i'd recommend the LDC mod.

You may have some of this done already I just figured i'd throw it out there.

Also the Zoom twin disc is a reasonably price clutch as well, I have a Zoom ZVT clutch and it drives very nicely.

Goodluck,

Josh

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Great suggestions and feedback. Really appreciate all the posts above.

I currently have:
- 26 pline input shaft
- LDC head cooling mod
- firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant

I'm really leaning toward the spec twin disk. Double the holding power, longer life expectancy, and softer pedal feel. Seems like at my power level this would be a great option for me. I'm definitely going to look into the Spec 3+ and zoom clutch. DFX will no longer be an option.

Helomech74

Established Member
I love my Spec 3+ It does chatter like crazy in first, but I can modulate it pretty good. I think as it breaks in the chatter will die down a bit, if not, no big deal.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
hmm sorry to hear about your problems.. I also have the dfx centerforce right now and am i little worried after some stuff I heard from people at the track behind me in the staging lanes.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
what about mcleod or fidanza clutches? you look into them? I wonder if any of their stuff is good..

Cobreezy

Established Member
I've got the Fidanza 4.3 in my car and yes it chatters at first, then it goes away after about 500 miles. My car pulls pretty hard now! Bought it from Lethal Performance:rockon:, the best bang for the buck in my opinion.:pepper:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I've got the RAM dual-disc and am overall happy with it performance-wise. No chatter at takeoff and I believe it will be easily be able to stand up to the abuse once I get a Whipple installed on the car (later his year).

My only negative comments on this setup are:

1) It was a PITA to install due to having to modify the clutch fork and adjust the length of the pivot ball (several times) in order for the clutch to properly engage and disengage. (The next time will be much easier.), and

2) When the clutch pedal is pushed down, the clutch makes a sound like rattling marbles. This is caused by the floater plate "floating" on the alignment pins. I've found that this condition goes a way at around 1200 RPM. So, I may have my tuner increase my idle speed to take care of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread