Blew the engine at the track yesterday

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks guys.

Greg - I have a Canton pan and was going into the uphill esses when I lost power. It was scary going in there at 100+ with Kevin right behind me... although I think it might have been a little worse for Kevin as he had to brake instead of maintaining throttle.

That's OK. Kevin needs a little shaking up now and then. :poke:

Were you running 8 or 9 qts in your Canton? I saw a guy either here or on C-C do a test showing that 9 qts just comes to the top of the Canton pan, and with pumping, is below the crank. So I drive on the street with 8 qts, but add one for the track.

Also, Canton says to use a Lightning dipstick with their RR pan, it's supposed to read more accurately. But when I put in 8 qts, it comes to the top of the fill mark on my stock dipstick, so I never bothered. Are you using the stock dipstick for your readings?

This is what always scares me about driving to the track, that long tow-truck ride home.

P.S. Like your new sig! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
That's OK. Kevin needs a little shaking up now and then. :poke:

Were you running 8 or 9 qts in your Canton? I saw a guy either here or on C-C do a test showing that 9 qts just comes to the top of the Canton pan, and with pumping, is below the crank. So I drive on the street with 8 qts, but add one for the track.

Also, Canton says to use a Lightning dipstick with their RR pan, it's supposed to read more accurately. But when I put in 8 qts, it comes to the top of the fill mark on my stock dipstick, so I never bothered. Are you using the stock dipstick for your readings?

This is what always scares me about driving to the track, that long tow-truck ride home.

P.S. Like your new sig! :thumbsup:

I started off running 9 qts, but had a minor leak that apparently got worse as the day went on. I haven't drained the oil yet, but I would assume that I still have ~6qts in there. I still use the stock stick too.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Seriously though, running the P at Summit last year I watched the oil level as I have a sensor that trips and gives a warning. Went off quite a few times but we checked and could only determine it sloshed around so much the sensor would read a little too good.

That is why I run 6 quarts in my stock pan, plus a quart of Lucas synthetic additive for the slosh factor. Blackstone labs recomended it. So I figure if they recomend it, it has to work. Besides, have you ever turned the little hand crank on the display that Lucas has in Pep Boys. The oil with the additive appears to stick better to the rotating gears.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thanks, John. I'm putting my car up on the rack tomorrow because I have a slight drip on the bottom of my pan, and I now want to make sure it's nothing. Oil level is staying constant, but I don't want to take any chances.

I hope the damage in minor.

Doug, when's the last time you turned the hand crank at 7,000 rpm? :bash:
All that additive sticking is just drag at that speed. The oil doing the work is being pumped through the galleys and between the bushings and journals.
My god man, don't start you car again, it's gonna BLOW!

Just messing since you got whipped and begged out of the NASA weekend. :loser:

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Bringing this thread back from the dead because, well, the car is being brought back from the dead. Today the engine was taken apart and when I arrived at the shop, my buddy told me to leave and go play the lottery because he has never seen such minimal damage to an engine that had a chunk missing out of the piston. Apparently, the chunk only hurt #2, then exited via the exhaust valve. The engine is going to be freshened up and put back in the car. I will most likely drive it for a bit this summer before i put it up for sale. I do need stock injectors (24 lb) and a coolant cross over tube if anyone has them laying around, please let me know!

Thanks

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
John, you're luck the engine wasn't locked from sitting for a year and a half. LOL
Good luck with the rebuild, enjoy the bimmer. :D

Users who are viewing this thread