Blew the engine at the track yesterday

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
It was fun while it lasted, but the engine finally let go yesterday during open track session at VIR. It is most likely a spun rod bearing, but I won't find out for sure until the engine is torn apart and gone through. This won't be for a while because with a baby due in December, the car will be parked in the garage collecting dust until I can free up some cash. And before you guys get scared and see this as another reason NOT to take your car on the road course... it was most likely my fault. I had a slight oil leak that I didn't check before each run. The leak must have gotten worse through the day as the dipstick today said it was low on oil.
Oh well... you gotta pay to play, right:shrug:

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
that sucks dude! I dont blame you for parking it with the baby coming and all. I hope you build it up bigger and stronger.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Sorry to hear about that, but ust to back you up on not being afraid to do the open track thing.....

I have more than a dozen sessions on my car and I blew it up on I-81 North in PA :rockon::rockon:

Not on the track :shrug:

Full rebuild is done and install happening now :banana::banana:

Ken

:beer::beer:

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
Sorry to hear about that, but ust to back you up on not being afraid to do the open track thing.....

I have more than a dozen sessions on my car and I blew it up on I-81 North in PA :rockon::rockon:

Not on the track :shrug:

Full rebuild is done and install happening now :banana::banana:

Ken

When did this happen Ken? Which car?

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Hey Ken I am sure you have been going nuts waiting for your car to get done i can not wait to see what you put down to the ground. BTW you can buy mine and drive it till yours gets done?:dancenana::dancenana::dancenana:

TRBO VNM

saw this on facebook. sorry to hear john. it has lasted a good bit being boosted and you have definitely had a lot of fun with it. give it time and you will be back.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
When did this happen Ken? Which car?

Early May I blew it doing a 4th gear pull to 120 uphill :bored: My stupid fault of course, I should have let off as I have about 1/4 mile on my Nephew in his Civic SI :lol::lol:

Fully built engine for the lil Foci now, JE pistons,Eagle rods,Cometic gaskets,ARP studs upper and lower,and Clevite H-series bearings

CAMS were hand ground in England by the folks who do the Cosworth engines for the lil FORDS :banana::banana:

8K to 8.5K RPM will be no problem, running 14 PSI :rockon:

Ken

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
That sucks man, you will however have the opertunity to built it better and stronger.

What kind of power are you making now ken?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
That sucks man, you will however have the opertunity to built it better and stronger.

What kind of power are you making now ken?

Dunno yet, need to get the car back and get 500 miles on it before we strap it down...

I suspect well north of 300 to wheels though :dancenana:

Ken

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Sorry to hear this John but I'm sure in time you will get it together.

However, Congrats on the BABY!!!!!!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
John, you have the stock pan if I remember, right? Where on the track were you when it tightened up? What oil? Do you go to 7k rpm much?
I have done a few events in the past where my level was at the fill level at the end of the weekend, but every engine is different. Now with the Canton pan I run 9 qts, which is just right.
But these motors have oil pump problems and frothing in the head problems, so it could be a number of things.
Really sorry to hear, I know it's no fun, and gonna be a headache to come. I sometimes worry about mine with 97K on it, but knock on wood, I'll be at VIR in 3 weeks and hope it holds up.
Let us know when you do find out anything.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Congrats on joining the Blown Motor Club. We are a very elite group of go-getters.

Seriously though, running the P at Summit last year I watched the oil level as I have a sensor that trips and gives a warning. Went off quite a few times but we checked and could only determine it sloshed around so much the sensor would read a little too good.

You'll be back soon enough and with the right upgrades you can be close to bulletproof.

Good luck.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Thanks guys.

Greg - I have a Canton pan and was going into the uphill esses when I lost power. It was scary going in there at 100+ with Kevin right behind me... although I think it might have been a little worse for Kevin as he had to brake instead of maintaining throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread