Blew out #7 spark plug

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The heads released in Jan '05 are the best ones.
That is probably all that is available new now.

Time-Sert works well for repairing the stripped threads.

Dana

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I would exhaust the Time - Sert idea before looking into a new head. There have been a few people who have had them hold up fine.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
when you do the time-sert repair, you pack the tap and reamer with grease and that catches most of the aluminum shavings. what makes its way into the cylinder is totally benign, and will be exhausted right away. because, after all, its just a couple tiny shavings of aluminum...

i dig the blue with black wheels.

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
I had this happen to me as well. The spark plug was cross threaded and finally just blew completly out taking all of the threads with it. I had my buddy fix it at his shop. Simply drilled out the hole, put in a steel insert, new spark plug, coil and coil cover and i was good as new!

SVTPaul

Established Member
Yeah using a heli-coil or something similar is a great option. Replacing the head should definetely NOT be necessary at all! A good shop should be able to fix it on the car, and in the worst case almost anyone could fix it with the head off!

Buying a new head should definetely not be necessary!

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
You can also fasion up a small tube to send down into the cylinder bore through the repaired area to vacume up as much as possible. That along with the greased tap will minimize shavings.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
You can also fasion up a small tube to send down into the cylinder bore through the repaired area to vacume up as much as possible. That along with the greased tap will minimize shavings.
+1...same thing happen to my friends car because of the densos

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
If you pull the head, it would be a good idea to time-sert all of the plug holes. And if I had to pull one head, I'd pull both and do all 8.

RealBadDude

Banned
SnakeBit said:
If you pull the head, it would be a good idea to time-sert all of the plug holes. And if I had to pull one head, I'd pull both and do all 8.

what do you mean by "time-sert" i havent heard that term before ?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
instead of a heli-coil, which is basically a piece of wire pretending to be threads, this repair installs a bushing. you ream out the hole, retap it, screw in the bushing, cold roll the threads, and it stays in there.

http://www.timesert.com/html/triton_repair.html

RealBadDude said:
what do you mean by "time-sert" i havent heard that term before ?

Users who are viewing this thread