Blew caliper seals! Need help

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
So today I decided I was going to pull one of my calipers off to clean and paint. I pulled the left rear and got it cleaned and figured I'd stick it back on and bleed it and I would go back and do it this weekend. Well in this process I seemed to forget I have all 4 calipers removed at the moment and blew the front caliper seals while bleeding the rear left. Can somebody help and explain what I do from here? Brakes are about the only thing I haven't had to do much of .

racebronco2

Established Member
So today I decided I was going to pull one of my calipers off to clean and paint. I pulled the left rear and got it cleaned and figured I'd stick it back on and bleed it and I would go back and do it this weekend. Well in this process I seemed to forget I have all 4 calipers removed at the moment and blew the front caliper seals while bleeding the rear left. Can somebody help and explain what I do from here? Brakes are about the only thing I haven't had to do much of .

You didn't blow the seal. You blew out one of the pistons that's all. You would do something similar to replace the calipers seals/boots anyways. Just put the caliper back together. It'll be fine.

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
You didn't blow the seal. You blew out one of the pistons that's all. You would do something similar to replace the calipers seals/boots anyways. Just put the caliper back together. It'll be fine.

So I can compress them back in and they will be fine? It looked to me like the fluid was coming from the inner side of the seal. That will be okay?

racebronco2

Established Member
So I can compress them back in and they will be fine? It looked to me like the fluid was coming from the inner side of the seal. That will be okay?

You really don't compress them, it's more like just pushing the pistons back in, as long as the bleed valve is open. The fluid would have to get past the inner seal first than the dust boots.

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
You really don't compress them, it's more like just pushing the pistons back in, as long as the bleed valve is open. The fluid would have to get past the inner seal first than the dust boots.

Okay thanks! And also I can the rear caliper pistons to push back in. Any special way of doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread