Black Gold 380R's 65 Mustang Build Thread

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
So now every time I check back into your thread I'm anticipating the "announcement" that it COMPLETE! Won't be long. That A-pillar is stunning. Can't wait to see the whole exterior done and sparkling.

Thank you Bob! I'm not going to rush. So, I'm hopping it will be completed in 2 more weekends. Since stage 2 dry and 8000 grit wet go much quicker I'm hoping to have the car completely sanded next week Saturday and start the polishing process on Sunday. Then finish it up the following weekend.

I'm lucky I live in the south so it has been in the 60's lately. If it stays warm I should be able to get this done in 2 weekends.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I'm sure it's a tedious process but the effort put into it are starting to speak for themselves. It's looking great and is going to look awesome when finished.

Hello Grabber. Thank you for your feedback my friend!

Man, tedious is almost an understatement LMAO!!! With this car it seems processes take forever. First it was cut, weld, grind and repeat. Thought no end was in sight with the metal work. Now it's sand, sand and sand some more LOL.

I remember watching Iron Resurrection and when it came time for paint Shorty would blow this train whistle and yell out "It's block party time!" Everyone in the shop was required to come out and sand on the vehicle. I'm doing this whole thing by myself. It feels like this process will never end. Which is why I buffed the A Pillar. Needed to see some results LOL.

However, after seeing how my A Pillar came out that is definitely a motivator. It's always nice when coming to an end of a process. It's definitely no fun when you're doing the same, boring things, over and over again LOL.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
The quality and prep for you have done to your paint job equals that of my buddies 67 fast back and he wrote a $25,000 check for his paint. And his isn’t even color sanded like yours is. I hope that helps add some satisfaction to the hours upon endless hours that you have put into sanding, prepping, painting…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The quality and prep for you have done to your paint job equals that of my buddies 67 fast back and he wrote a $25,000 check for his paint. And his isn’t even color sanded like yours is. I hope that helps add some satisfaction to the hours upon endless hours that you have put into sanding, prepping, painting…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Hello Geoff. Damn o_O!!!! $25K is a hell of a lot of money for a paint job. Wow....Maybe I should set up a shop behind my house ROFLMAO!!! J/K. Don't know if I could handle the pressure of accepting that kind of money to paint a car for someone.

Well, yes, that does make me feel VERY satisfied. One it shows me how much money I'm saving and, more importantly, it shows me the level/quality I'm putting in to my build.

Just so you guys know, I never started this build with the intention to be some 6 figure build. I only wanted to build something that has been in my head for many many years. So, to know I'm building something that requires that level of detail and quality makes me feel VERY happy and proud.

Thank you all for your compliments, feedback and perspective. Really appreciate you guys for going along on this journey with me.(y)

C2tuck

Established Member
Thank you for the sentiment and vote of confidence C2!!! I haven't even started a plan for my shop, if I even build one LOL. However, if I ever venture in to this world of painting vehicles for other folks, I'll definitely give you a heads up.

Just do them one at a time, start to finish. That’s the horrible thing about most shops is they get so backlogged and your car sits there for months untouched.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Just do them one at a time, start to finish. That’s the horrible thing about most shops is they get so backlogged and your car sits there for months untouched.
Oh I hear you. Been there done that.

The body shop I used to paint my 65 the first time would take person A money and use it to pay overhead. Then he would take person B money to buy material to paint person A car.

He continued to do this cycle as cars piled up and he got so far behind he went out of business.

He was a great painter, but a crappy businessman. It took a little while, but he eventually painted my 65 before going out of business.

I would never work like that. Doesn't make sense to me. Then again I wouldn't be running a business. Just doing this on the side, as a hobby, after I retire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

C2tuck

Established Member
Oh I hear you. Been there done that.

The body shop I used to paint my 65 the first time would take person A money and use it to pay overhead. Then he would take person B money to buy material to paint person A car.

He continued to do this cycle as cars piled up and he got so far behind he went out of business.

He was a great painter, but a crappy businessman. It took a little while, but he eventually painted my 65 before going out of business.

I would never work like that. Doesn't make sense to me. Then again I wouldn't be running a business. Just doing this on the side, as a hobby, after I retire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You can paint mine in your garage. I’ll store your 65 for you in the meantime…

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You can paint mine in your garage. I’ll store your 65 for you in the meantime…

I appreciate the offer to store my 65 C2. However, the problem is still space for me. My Dad is giving me his 57 T-Bird as soon as I have room in my garage. So, once my 65 can move to one side of my garage the T-Bird will be coming in.

So, before I can even think about painting cars I need to build a shop behind my house. Which is how this conversation came up with my wife to begin with LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Holy crap,

I contacted my Kindig rep today to ask about the 8 stack air filtration system.

This is his reply:

"Dave has tried calling and emailing you about this. There may be something in your email or spam folder."

I checked my email folders (spam, deleted and inbox) and have nothing from Mr. Kindig. When I receive calls from numbers I do not recognize I let it go to voice mail and I have no messages from Mr. Kindig either.

I checked my phone and "I DO" have a missed call from Kindig on December 1st. The number came up as 801 (Salt Lake City area code), but I thought it might have been a spam caller. However, no voice mail was left.

I replied to the Kindig rep with my phone number and email. Hopefully, Mr. Kindig will be kind enough to contact me again or give me a date and time for me to call him or email him. I also asked the Rep to provide me with Mr. Kindig's email or to set up a date and time and I will call Mr. Kindig.

So, hopefully this gets worked out and I can speak with the man himself. That would be awesome!(y)

Last edited:

Grabber70Mach

Established Member
That sounds like some more steps in the positive direction. Hopefully he'll get back to you and you all can get it done. As for the order of the line for painting, all I got to say is in the picture.
e7224b4e321850031c14e3e5f5333d3b.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That sounds like some more steps in the positive direction. Hopefully he'll get back to you and you all can get it done. As for the order of the line for painting, all I got to say is in the picture.

Hello Grabber! Yeah, it's pretty cool knowing I'm receiving calls from Dave Kindig. Pretty crappy I'm missing those calls because I didn't have him listed in my contacts LMAO!

Got that taken care of though.....

As far as that line, it's going to be a long wait at this point LOL.

Got to build my shop first LOL.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Woo Hoo!

Dave Kindig called me back today. SWEET!!!

He was very professional and apologized to me for taking so long to get back to me on this. I told him it was no problem and I appreciated him taking the time to call me personally to discuss the project.

He asked me for the part number of my injection system, when I purchased it and if I wanted the air filter system chromed or polished.

He told me that he will most likely work with Borla to get this part made as he only has two CNC machines. He said it may take another two months from today as he has some things he needs to coordinate.

He said that if Borla builds it they will drop ship it to me. I told him I would prefer to pick it up from his shop.

While we were talking I asked him about the 1940 Ford delivery truck on his shelf. I told him if he looked at the back of it he would see my name. He said he didn't realize I was the one who made it for him before he called me and thanked me for letting him know I was the one who built it for him.

1f6b2763d7cad89801bd398a972de4db.jpg

8d19b5613b32e35332d6a537f3d5f647.jpg

So, after our discussion he said it would be great if I pick the part up from his shop so we could meet.

I didn't mention this to him, but I also want him and some of his other workers to sign the underside of my air cleaner system.

So, it looks like this is finally going to happen. I'm stoked. Even my wife is laughing at me because she sees how excited I am about talking with Dave Kindig LMAO!!!! That's okay. She said she was happy for me too.

Man, maybe I'm goofy, but I feel like I'm playing in the big leagues of the car world now LMAO!!!!

This is too much fun.........

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I feel I need to point out I already got my spot by talking to the man in person......

ROFLMAO!!! That is true Bob. And another advantage you have is I actually travel to your neck of the woods once a year. So, I can paint your car in your garage/shop after you do all the sanding :p.

Painting Satisfying GIF by DriveTribe

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
ROFLMAO!!! That is true Bob. And another advantage you have is I actually travel to your neck of the woods once a year. So, I can paint your car in your garage/shop after you do all the sanding :p.
If that happens I've got another garage we'll use. It's a lot bigger and climate controlled.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, my streak continues. I have good news and bad news LOL.

Let's start with the good news.

I finished cutting the car this weekend. And I got the buffing process started.

I finished the cutting process on Saturday and I ended up buffing the roof, A pillars and C pillars on Saturday as well. I did not take any pictures on Saturday, which is why the C pillar looks shinny in the first picture.

If you look at the passenger side you can see the haze left behind from the 8000 grit wet sanding process.
20211219_090047.jpg

Close up of the passenger door as it is ready for the buffing process.
20211219_090141.jpg

Passenger side QTR ready for the buffing process.
20211219_090147.jpg

Just a different angle of the passenger door.
20211219_090633.jpg

I took this picture of the deck lid so you can see the difference between 8000 grit wet sanding and stage 1 of the buffing process. I'm using the 3M perfect it system which uses a rubbing compound, polishing compound and a finishing compound. The left is 8000 grit wet and the right is the rubbing compound.
20211219_122012.jpg

A different angle of the deck lid. You can see the haze in the reflection of my ceiling light.
20211219_121934.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Here are some pictures of the car after rubbing compound and polishing compound have been completed. I'm going to finish the whole car with rubbing compound and polishing compound "before" I got to the finishing compound.

Okay here is the roof. You can clearly see the popcorn texture in my ceiling. Pretty cool.
20211219_090450.jpg

Here is a close up of the roof of the car. Again you can clearly see the popcorn texture.
20211219_090524.jpg

Here is the passenger C pillar. Love that reflection.
20211219_090538.jpg

Complete side view of the passenger side. Man, I am almost tempted to say it looks better than what the body shop did LOL.
20211219_113943.jpg

Different angle of the passenger side. I really like this color. Gives off a different hue depending on the angle due to the pearl in the paint.
20211219_114004.jpg

Here is a close up of the passenger side door. I really like how you can clearly see the plastic hanging from the ceiling.
20211219_104130.jpg

Close up of the passenger side QTR. I can't get over how clear the reflection is and I still have to apply the finishing compound.
20211219_115434.jpg

Here is the deck lid finished with rubbing compound and polishing compound.
20211219_130417.jpg

Man, I'm stoked!!!!
20211219_130425.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread