Black Friday- What clutch should i get?

mgmustang1

Established Member
i'm basically around 700 rwhp with my 13 gt500 with only 9k on it. when i took it to the drags this year it ran 10.6@135 with slicks but clutch was slipping and smelt real bad. The problem is i don't want to have the same feeling like my whippled cobra with the spec 3 clutch on/off feeling. I want a clutch that will hold the power but act like stock on street but take it to the drags once and awhile-not all the time and hold the power on slicks. Anybody have any experience with the shelby clutch made by ace? I've look through dozens of threads and can't make up my mind. i'm not sold on the mcleod rxt.

HidnNOS

Established Member
I spoke to vendors at SEMA and was most convinced/confident with what I heard from McLeod about the RXT but I'll follow this thread closely.

chas8180

Established Member
I'm at 760rwhp and replaced my smoked stocker with the Centerforce and its fantastic, feels better than stock and is rated at 1300lb/ft, and I daily drive my car with lots of stop and go and its very easy to putt around town with.

MG0h3

Established Member
I've got an RXT. Has about 15k miles on it and I love how it feels. I could probably let it out slow enough at a stop to get going with no throttle at all if I wanted.

It is starting to let go if I stab it in a higher gear @max torque. What surprises me is that if I get out of it for just a second I can get right back into it and it holds. Time for a rebuild or I may get the 1200.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you keep stock gears and use slicks you may smoke the RXT also. NJTony did and then upgraded gears and the 1200hp upgraded RXT.
Mantic is a new player and heard good things about Centerforce DYAD. My Spec SS holds the power but is on/off and I have a full rebuild kit that upgrades puck style to full faced (I think ST? The one they list for close to $1800 retail). My point there is the puck style Spec is on/off but their full faced friction is very nice, at least that was my experience going from Stage 3 to 3+ in my turbo Fox--held more and drove MUCH better.
I'll keep saying it, my stock clutch with 4.10s and about ten 10s passes looked new. Keep trying to launch 4000+# with over 700lbft on sticky tires and a 2.66 first trans/3.31 rear combo---and you'll keep buying clutches.
3.73/3.90/4.10 for drag use guys, no point to argue it.
-J

kwarnerjr

Established Member
I have a Spec ST trim. For whatever it’s worth, I’m pretty anal about the car being daily driver friendly....I have no major complaints about the ST. My only critique is on the 3:31’s it produced a bit more vibration at sub 1500 rpm than I’d like. But as I put miles on it and swapped to 3:73’s the vibrations have reduced significantly. I actually thought the spec clutch was easier to operate than the stock unit and that it is far from an on/off switch feeling.

Also if you fry the clutch I’m pretty sure Spec will rebuild it, which is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mgmustang1

Established Member
I have a Spec ST trim. For whatever it’s worth, I’m pretty anal about the car being daily driver friendly....I have no major complaints about the ST. My only critique is on the 3:31’s it produced a bit more vibration at sub 1500 rpm than I’d like. But as I put miles on it and swapped to 3:73’s the vibrations have reduced significantly. I actually thought the spec clutch was easier to operate than the stock unit and that it is far from an on/off switch feeling.

Also if you fry the clutch I’m pretty sure Spec will rebuild it, which is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I like the fact that the spec comes with a new flywheel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you keep stock gears and use slicks you may smoke the RXT also. NJTony did and then upgraded gears and the 1200hp upgraded RXT.
Mantic is a new player and heard good things about Centerforce DYAD. My Spec SS holds the power but is on/off and I have a full rebuild kit that upgrades puck style to full faced (I think ST? The one they list for close to $1800 retail). My point there is the puck style Spec is on/off but their full faced friction is very nice, at least that was my experience going from Stage 3 to 3+ in my turbo Fox--held more and drove MUCH better.
I'll keep saying it, my stock clutch with 4.10s and about ten 10s passes looked new. Keep trying to launch 4000+# with over 700lbft on sticky tires and a 2.66 first trans/3.31 rear combo---and you'll keep buying clutches.
-J

Stock clutch holds plenty of power. It really does. Gears only make life easier on the clutch (and trans). Streetability is nice on stock unit abeit with a heavier pedal than the current performance offerings.

Im still on my stock 07 clutch which is no where near as good as the 13+ but truthfully, when mine goes ill probably upgrade to a factory 13+ and call it done.

Then again, the vendors have some great Black Friday deals right now on clutches! Anyone see a sale on Centerforce? Lol.

manny231988

Established Member
I blew my stocker and went with the RXT 1200, has some chatter at take off but it feels good. I’m barely at 300 miles no complaints haven’t really put it to the test

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I jusy upgraded to 715rw from 680 and have had the 1000# McCleod RXT the past 2 years. I have 410's with MT DR's and it never slips .

spectreman

Established Member
I think the OEM clutch on my '09 GT500 is getting near the end of its life too. I've treated it gingerly and my car is a daily driver- no racing of any sort w/it. Got more than 30k on it now but the telltale signs are appearing.

My car's engine is stock so I'm not putting out anything HP-wise like you guys but, after reading all about the aftermarket options, I'm sticking w/Ford stuff. I'd prefer to do a '13-14 set-up but this package from LMR is already done:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7546GT500-K/GT500-Clutch-Kit-07-09-Mustang

And w/the BF discount, there's another $125 off. That's a deal & I think I'm ordering mine tomorrow.
Lee

mgmustang1

Established Member
if i was you i would go with the mcleod rst from lethal with 20%off. it comes with the flywheel also and is going to come out near or close to that price after the discount. MCL-6908-07
it doesnt come with the new slave cyl but its 1100 than 20% off that.

Njtony

Established Member
-J
Smoked the stock clutch once I got a tune. Bought the rxt twin and ran about twenty times or so and that start slipping. Replaced it with another rxt twin and launched more conservatively. Did that a few times a added gears. A few launches after that decided to sell the car after the gear whine drove me nuts. With gears I think the rxt is a decent choice. Without gears do not launch with any slip or expect to replace another clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread