Bit the bullet, and started an overland build ..

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
Short version, three years ago, I picked up a extremely clean, one owner, dealer serviced Porsche Cayenne TT from a buddy of mine who took it on trade in Atlanta. It only had 65K, and just had every belt, hose, clamp, or fitting replaced for its final service. Drove the car for two years, sat for one more, then decided to do something different w/ it. I took it to Eurowise, and we started w/ a multi-phase plan to make a capable offroader, that could still chew up the miles on the interstate as well. This is the result of phase 1, the bumpers and underbody protection are being added over the next 3 weeks, including some custom stuff that will be one off for this rig. Last, the fridge, diesel heater, and other items will be added for the long trip across the US for my 50th in Feb. I will post more pics as we get stuff done, but thought I would share where we are right now.

Update — My wife and I chose this car over our others (4Runner, GX460, and Bronco) because the Porsche just is a nice place to be while driving for 4-6 hours a day. The work done by Eurowise hasn’t spoiled the experience, while offering a bit more capability to the rig. We have the Sasquatch for rock crawling/hardcore off road, this was meant to be able to go 85% of the places we want, while still being a joy to drive.
IMG_2584.jpeg
IMG_2585.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice Porsche Cayenne TT, but I have trouble seeing it doing offroader duties. That is about as different a build as I could imagine. Hope it works perfectly for you. So you're intending on going offroad on your cross-country trip?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Nice Porsche Cayenne TT, but I have trouble seeing it doing offroader duties. That is about as different a build as I could imagine. Hope it works perfectly for you. So you're intending on going offroad on your cross-country trip?
More common than you'd think and should be rather capable. On my last trip to CO, I saw a decked out Cayenne for overlanding and it was pretty darn sweet.

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
Not going to be rock crawling for sure, but yeah, me, the wife, and the dogs are heading from NC to Alaska I. It for giggles. I’ll have the skid plates and bumpers done before it goes, but a few folks I know have off-road them, and they do fairly well. I’ll be adding a locker to the back too.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed, that it's not the best starting point, but you do own it, so modify it to suit your desires and have fun with it.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Not going to be rock crawling for sure, but yeah, me, the wife, and the dogs are heading from NC to Alaska I. It for giggles. I’ll have the skid plates and bumpers done before it goes, but a few folks I know have off-road them, and they do fairly well. I’ll be adding a locker to the back too.

Probably don't *need* a locker as long as you have limited slip. Lots of 4runners and Jeeps do crazy stuff with a rear limited slip and an open front. My old '99 Durango made it up and over some impressive obstacles with a limited slip.

My current Jeep Extreme Recon has brake based limited slip and she'll see The Big Horns next spring.

Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
First rule of overland club is you now have to call your vehicle a "rig". Lol
I can't stand the weird trendiness of the hobby, but it's fun.
I still use a normal tent, but if I decide to get a vehicle mounted tent, I can mount it to my homemade rack. The utility of the Nissan "utilitrack" rails being the same dimensions as the superstrut channels at Home Depot means I can setup the bed in a million different ways for different activities. This is how I packed my truck for my last outing...
IMG_1575.jpeg

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is awesome. Very cool choice.

My sister-in-law lived out in BC for a while. She had a Macon and took it off-roading many times and it did very well. Even with shit all season radials.

Z28

Established Member
Very sweet! Built on the Touareg platform and most will underestimate it offroad. My past Touareg TDI's drove like a dream. Best of luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread