Billetflow Throttlebody Q's

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I sent and email off to Doug at Billetflow earlier this week and am still waiting for a response, so in the mean time I'll pose my question here.

I recently purchased a used billetflow SBTB and the throttle will not open fully, I was told by the previous owner that some modification or bending of the throttle cable bracket would be required. Has anyone else with a Billetflow TB had to do this and if so, do you have any photos that would be of assitance.

Thank you

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Does it not fully open on the truck, off the truck, or both? Can you tell what is preventing it from opening? Is this a TB for an L or a Cobra?

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Hi Sid,

The throttle is for a Lightning, it will open fully off the truck however not on the truck. The issue is the throttle cable is quite slack at the "closed/relaxed" position and the pedal hits the floor with the blade only opening about 70%. So I would either need a shorter cable, different throttle cam, or as the previous owner suggested bend/modding the factory cable bracket to take up the slack.

Perhaps a photo of what I have is in order?

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
DSC_0660-1.jpg

DSC_0661-1.jpg

DSC_0662-1.jpg

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
He did confirm that it's an early run example, and I'm quite sure that's a stock throttle cam, so it looks like I need the proper unit to make this work correctly. Hopefully, he has some spares available to sell.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Problem Solved!

Coles Notes: Throttle bracket was too close to the throttle body.

The Long:

I spoke with Doug at Billetflow on the phone this afternoon, and he confirmed that my TB was an early run unit and at that time they did use a stock throttle cam. He said the current ones are the same geometry as the stocker and would change nothing, my problem must be elsewhere.

I spent some time really looking over the setup and the throttle bracket was off just a bit from the P/S res bracket, by about 1/2", what I needed to get WOT. I pulled the inlet off and wedged the throttle to the floor. Eureka, the stock TB was only opening about 90%.

So how could this be?

The original owner had installed one of those ridiculous Helix throttle body spacers and it used a long set of bolts in place of the lower studs. I had removed this paperweight upon purchase and had simply used shorter bolts as the studs were not supplied with the truck. This was about a year ago.

So this afternoon I made some 1/2" standoff's to use on the lower bolts to achieve the proper distance for the throttle bracket. Quick test and it was perfect.

So now it's installed, setup and ready for a test toast, and I know what your thinking, I've been enjoying my truck with only 9/10th throttle opening all this time. Hopefully the bigger TB and full airflow should reward me with a kick in the pants.

In closing, huge thanks to Doug at Billetflow for taking the time to field my questions and Sid for giving this thread a look over.

Back to modding!

Users who are viewing this thread