Billet oil pump gears

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
It's not the horsepower that is being made that causes the gears to fail. It's the rpm's the motor is turning. The oil pump doesn't know if it's in a motor making 375 hp or 750 hp. It does know if the motor is spinning 7500 rpm's. So if your still running the stock rev limiter there shouldn't be a need for the billet gears on a street driven car. BUT if your at the track a lot and are seeing some high rpm's, I'm sure it would be a worthwhile upgrade. My .02

This.

Livernois broke a set of OEM gears on an N/A Coyote engine, in 2010. It's an RPM thing...

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
its not a HP thing, its all about the RPM, most people that boost there cars also raise the rev limiter to 7300-7500rpm. 800rpm is A LOT, and the factory pieces can only hold on for so long.

bull3441

Established Member
Most of the time a oil pump fails, it's from bouncing the rev limiter. L&M prefers to set the limiter out of the way. They rather over spin the motor than hit the limiter and cause an oil pump failure. Search GT500's and oil pump failures, they're all from hitting the limiter. Oil does play a role as well.

RFM50

Established Member
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I feel a lot better now about not putting billet gears in right away. I will probably hold off until I step up the intake manifold and boost.

twistedneck

Established Member
Most of the time a oil pump fails, it's from bouncing the rev limiter. L&M prefers to set the limiter out of the way. They rather over spin the motor than hit the limiter and cause an oil pump failure. Search GT500's and oil pump failures, they're all from hitting the limiter. Oil does play a role as well.

excellent information i'm not as worried now about taking my stock coyote to 7500 here and there.. no bouncing of the 7600 bama rpm limit :)

so does anyone know if they make a billet back plate for it like the gt500? wouldn't it be best to swap both for a pure racing application? maybe the cobra jet doesn't need it but a road race car might (or a nascar type).

bcolenj

Established Member
RPM and oil weight are the two factors. Oil is a liquid and not compressible. When the pump turns it pushes the oil. Think of it like two objects hitting each other. The two things that determine damage are speed and mass of the objects. With this relation the speed or rpm of the pump directly relates to the speed of the objects. Oil weight and mass are related indirectly. With the two objects hitting each other, their mass determines their resistance to change in speed so heavier objects have more resistance to change and do more damage. Oil weight is similar. A heavy weight is oil is thicker and harder for the pump to move which means there is more stress on the pump gear.

TLDR: RPM and oil weight are the two factors that determine damage.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
RPM and oil weight are the two factors. Oil is a liquid and not compressible. When the pump turns it pushes the oil. Think of it like two objects hitting each other. The two things that determine damage are speed and mass of the objects. With this relation the speed or rpm of the pump directly relates to the speed of the objects. Oil weight and mass are related indirectly. With the two objects hitting each other, their mass determines their resistance to change in speed so heavier objects have more resistance to change and do more damage. Oil weight is similar. A heavy weight is oil is thicker and harder for the pump to move which means there is more stress on the pump gear.

TLDR: RPM and oil weight are the two factors that determine damage.

Finally, an argument for 5w-20 oil. Wooohooo!!:banana:

RFM50

Established Member
Thats a great point! My question to you is, what oil viscosity do you recommend both na and with a power adder? I have always been told that u should run a thicker viscosity oil with a sc or some sort of power adder.

bcolenj

Established Member
Thats a great point! My question to you is, what oil viscosity do you recommend both na and with a power adder? I have always been told that u should run a thicker viscosity oil with a sc or some sort of power adder.

Theres no real concrete answer. That being said, I have a 2.3 whipple on my 5.0 and I run RP HPS 5w30 (SVTP did a front page about this oil) but its a street car/daily and it barely sees track time.

RFM50

Established Member
Theres no real concrete answer. That being said, I have a 2.3 whipple on my 5.0 and I run RP HPS 5w30 (SVTP did a front page about this oil) but its a street car/daily and it barely sees track time.

Ok thanks. I just swapped to 5w-30 and to me it seems like the right oil for our cars. I planned on sticking to that and think my motor will last longer.

RFM50

Established Member
I read some where that the new gt500 pump comes with a billet backing plate as well. I would say its a safe bet to say this is the same pump

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
That seems pretty expensive for just the oil pump gears and oil pump.

I'm going with MMR's set for $300.

The MMR oil pump is also guaranteed for life to the original owner, each pump undergoes a strict pressure and spin test on our pump dyno, as we are aware of MMR and Roush are the only company that has the ability to spin and pressure test these pumps. :beer:

MMR%20Billet%20Hurricane%20Gears%20small.jpg

RFM50

Established Member
The MMR oil pump is also guaranteed for life to the original owner, each pump undergoes a strict pressure and spin test on our pump dyno, as we are aware of MMR and Roush are the only company that has the ability to spin and pressure test these pumps. :beer:

MMR%20Billet%20Hurricane%20Gears%20small.jpg

Ok thats sound great except all I can find is the billet gears on your sight. Whats the cost of the pump? I would gladley purchase one from you when I am ready if I could find one on your sight.

RFM50

Established Member

RI_2011_GT

Established Member
I'm running Motul 5w40 since the GT500 and Boss run that weight. I don't see any track use, but do have a 2.3 TVS. You can get TSS Billet Oil Pump gears also. I will say the whole install is a pain in the ass..... you have to take the whole front cover off to get to the oil pump. I haven't done it yet, but is on my list of mods for the fall.

Users who are viewing this thread