Billet Coyote block, anyone?

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
I work for Hennessey as a fabricator/tech. I have 13 years of experience in the industry.

The accelerator and brake will be on the steering wheel. His hands never have to leave the wheel accept to shift and pull the chute.. no different than a normal bodied person.

Have they released any of the specs from the camo GT build or is it top secret?

mjohns930

Established Member
It's a little early for some of that.. and some of the aero will have to be sorted out as we go, using equipment to measure down force as we nudge up to higher speeds. The key thing that we are concerned with is safety, and not rushing things ahead of our knowledge curve. We saw what happened to KP Racing and the Kelly Bise Camaro at this previous Texas Mile.. This is what happens when you rush things. We are setting a reasonable goal for the car at 250mph, and we won't cross that in this particular chassis.

The suspension will consist of a hybrid between the stock mounting locations and the overall cage/structure within the car. In other words the stock control arm mounting locations will be used, but will be completely boxed in and rebuilt out of stronger material. The rear axle will be a billet 9", and the wheel wells will most likely be tubbed.

The trans is still up in the air.. We've toyed with the idea of going auto. I've seen KP destroy even the strongest T56/TR6060 based trans at the power levels we're looking for, and given my buddy's condition, another hand control to operate a clutch would just be a distraction, IMO. But, we're still looking at options. I'm leaning towards a powerglide with a gear vendors overdrive.. giving us 4 forward ratios, ending in a .67 overdriven high gear. That should easily get us to the mph we're looking without spinning the engine past 8500rpm or so.

Again, much of this is in the preliminary stages.. and we're still laying the ground work. We are in no rush.. Just want to make sure that it gets done the right way, as safe as possible.

Thanks again for all the responses. I figured some of that was too early but I couldn't help myself.

Is this going to serve as the build thread or will you put up another when things really start moving on this project?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've been watching the Sportsman block deal for a few months.. and looked into sleeving, etc.. I've come to the conclusion that none of these solutions will work for us.

Although we love the idea, we beg to differ in regards to your assumption that "sleeving etc" will not work at 2000=HP.

We say assumption because we have already done it (made over 2000HP) with the MMR Pro Mod Coyote block. Many people think that this block is not streetable but the most recent block in the MMR record holding coyote (7.02 @ 202.55) car is a unfilled, fully water jacketed version that has seen more dyno time and track time than most engines will ever see.

We just wanted to clarify, there is a big difference in saying something isnt going to work vs something that has already been done (in regards to making 2000HP reliably with a sleeved block)

Best of luck with your new Ventures!

Modular Mustang Racing

MMR%20coyote%202.jpg

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
I work for Hennessey as a fabricator/tech. I have 13 years of experience in the industry.

The accelerator and brake will be on the steering wheel. His hands never have to leave the wheel accept to shift and pull the chute.. no different than a normal bodied person.

Will it be as easy to modulate the crazy power this car is going to put out and and brake at the same time with hand controls vs pedals and still steer and shift as well?

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Have they released any of the specs from the camo GT build or is it top secret?

While some of it is trade secret, I can share a bit..

Mark's car has a 331 cubic inch motor in it.. Basically, it's a built to the hilt GT block and ported stock castings. As far as the actual engine mods/parts, that's something I won't get into. The engine is built by John Mihovetz, and is good for around 2500hp. While it uses factory castings, John does some very trick stuff to get it to survive for a full mile at these power levels. If you look at what he's accomplished with his Mod Motor program, it's pretty amazing.

The turbochargers were twin billet 76mm Precisions, and were switched to twin billet 81's as of the last mile event. They feed into twin 90mm TB's, mounted to a custom Wilson billet intake manifold. The manifold houses a huge air to water intercooler. The turbo system and pretty much the entire car was built by Kevin Kesterson. It is tuned by Shane Tecklenburg, using Motec. Patrick O'Gorman is the driver as of this past event. These guys make for one hell of a team, and they set/break records on a constant basis because of it.

There's a few big changes going on as we speak, and the car will be ready for Texas Invitational. You'll see.. :)

90goldtsiawd

Established Member

Mark's car has a 331 cubic inch motor in it.. Basically, it's a built to the hilt GT block and ported stock castings. As far as the actual engine mods/parts, that's something I won't get into. The engine is built by John Mihovetz, and is good for around 2500hp. While it uses factory castings, John does some very trick stuff to get it to survive for a full mile at these power levels. If you look at what he's accomplished with his Mod Motor program, it's pretty amazing.

The turbochargers were twin billet 76mm Precisions, and were switched to twin billet 81's as of the last mile event. They feed into twin 90mm TB's, mounted to a custom Wilson billet intake manifold. The manifold houses a huge air to water intercooler. The turbo system and pretty much the entire car was built by Kevin Kesterson. It is tuned by Shane Tecklenburg, using Motec. Patrick O'Gorman is the driver as of this past event. These guys make for one hell of a team, and they set/break records on a constant basis because of it.

There's a few big changes going on as we speak, and the car will be ready for Texas Invitational. You'll see.. :)

So what does Hennessey have to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Thanks again for all the responses. I figured some of that was too early but I couldn't help myself.

Is this going to serve as the build thread or will you put up another when things really start moving on this project?

No problem.. This is a side project for us, and we intend to have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes talking about ideas early on can lead to new ideas and solutions to problems. No one ever stops learning. :)

I'll put a build thread up once we get started.. I'll link this thread to it. Right now, our new shop is getting power, lift, and equipment installed. We'll get cranking here in a few weeks.

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
The car was originally a 1000hp build through Hennessey. Since then, Kevin has worked on it on the side, and transformed it into the monster that it is now.

Did you see my other post above #25? Thanks for answering everything so openly btw.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Although we love the idea, we beg to differ in regards to your assumption that "sleeving etc" will not work at 2000=HP.

We say assumption because we have already done it (made over 2000HP) with the MMR Pro Mod Coyote block. Many people think that this block is not streetable but the most recent block in the MMR record holding coyote (7.02 @ 202.55) car is a unfilled, fully water jacketed version that has seen more dyno time and track time than most engines will ever see.

We just wanted to clarify, there is a big difference in saying something isnt going to work vs something that has already been done (in regards to making 2000HP reliably with a sleeved block)

Best of luck with your new Ventures!

Modular Mustang Racing

MMR%20coyote%202.jpg

There's a big difference between 1/4 mile and a full mile.. No doubt, you guys have made some ridiculous power.

I've talked to several shops, and even guys running the new sportsman block.. They are having issues with cracking these blocks in the valley. To me, that points to a weakness in the overall core. I don't see how sleeving can fix this.. as it's not breaking sleeves. It's simply cracking the block in valley due to twisting/stress.

Terry (beefcake) has cracked his sportsman block at around 1100hp.. There's another Lund tuned twin turbo car that has cracked as well in the 1200hp range. Same failure.. L&M confirms that this is a big issue, and they have a pile of Coyote blocks piling up as well.

So, I'd like to know what you guys are doing to prevent this? To me, it represents a fundamental flaw that cannot be corrected.. just like the old 5.0 iron blocks back in the day. How are you guys making over 2000hp with a modified OEM casting and not having issues, when others are breaking the beefed up sportsman block with almost half the power?

Say I buy one of your built to the hilt blocks.. You build it for 2000hp, and we go run it in the Mile. If it cracks due to some sort of structural integrity issue, will you stand behind it? Because if not, I don't want to take the chance that I loose a very expensive engine when I could have gone billet from the get-go.

I have a lot of respect for you guys.. don't misunderstand me here. I just don't see how you're not having structural integrity issues when others are at much less power.

And so we're not confused here.. I'm not talking about pushing the sleeve into the water jacket.. I'm talking about the aluminum/webbing in the valley cracking.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Will it be as easy to modulate the crazy power this car is going to put out and and brake at the same time with hand controls vs pedals and still steer and shift as well?

I'm sure it won't be "easy".. He road races currently, and certainly knows his way around his own setup. For me or you to get in there and drive the car would be like asking us to speak a foreign language. But, that's what he's used to. The only time his hand has to leave the wheel, is to shift, and pull the chute. Even when braking and applying power, he has a good grasp on the wheel. I'm sure it'll take some time to get used to.. and we'll work up to where he's comfortable gradually.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Did you see my other post above #25? Thanks for answering everything so openly btw.

I think so.. The one about the hand controls? The car uses an accelerator ring and brake ring, So, with the automatic (powerglide with gear vendors), he simply has to take one hand off to shift/press the button for the gears vendors. He still has a firm grasp on the wheel.

It'll be a learning experience, and I'm sure we'll tweak things as we go to make it more comfortable.

phil h

Established Member

So i assume that Mihovetz will have a hand in the new engine? U have a good guy on your side there for sure. I am sure he would have alot of input on what to beef up and where on that block. Good luck, i cant wait to see what one of these engines will make in an all out setup.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Any response, MMR?

There's a big difference between 1/4 mile and a full mile.. No doubt, you guys have made some ridiculous power.

I've talked to several shops, and even guys running the new sportsman block.. They are having issues with cracking these blocks in the valley. To me, that points to a weakness in the overall core. I don't see how sleeving can fix this.. as it's not breaking sleeves. It's simply cracking the block in valley due to twisting/stress.

Terry (beefcake) has cracked his sportsman block at around 1100hp.. There's another Lund tuned twin turbo car that has cracked as well in the 1200hp range. Same failure.. L&M confirms that this is a big issue, and they have a pile of Coyote blocks piling up as well.

So, I'd like to know what you guys are doing to prevent this? To me, it represents a fundamental flaw that cannot be corrected.. just like the old 5.0 iron blocks back in the day. How are you guys making over 2000hp with a modified OEM casting and not having issues, when others are breaking the beefed up sportsman block with almost half the power?

Say I buy one of your built to the hilt blocks.. You build it for 2000hp, and we go run it in the Mile. If it cracks due to some sort of structural integrity issue, will you stand behind it? Because if not, I don't want to take the chance that I loose a very expensive engine when I could have gone billet from the get-go.

I have a lot of respect for you guys.. don't misunderstand me here. I just don't see how you're not having structural integrity issues when others are at much less power.

And so we're not confused here.. I'm not talking about pushing the sleeve into the water jacket.. I'm talking about the aluminum/webbing in the valley cracking.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Any response, MMR?

None of the MMR Pro Mod blocks that we have tested or sold have done this. As far as a comparison between 1/4 mile and mile events the MMR test engines have all undergone 100's of dyno pulls and passes, the equivalent to dozens of Mile testing, we also use the same sleeving method in our GT500 blocks that have set Mile records.

Time will tell if the MMR block is the ultimate answer to this problem but thus far no failures and BIG HP. :beer:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Well, after talking with Greg, it looks like we're going to try out one of their pro mod blocks for now. It'll be worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread