Billet Coyote block, anyone?

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Late last year, my friend approached me to build a high HP car to compete in Mile Racing events, using the Coyote platform in a 2013 GT chassis. So.. I've been in the process of drawing up plans, and laying the ground work.

We have 2 cars.. One in Grabber, and one in Deep Impact..

321329_4269999286892_3721668_n.jpg

The Grabber will be the first build, which will need to make around 2000hp to meet our eventual goal of around 250mph.

I've been watching the Sportsman block deal for a few months.. and looked into sleeving, etc.. I've come to the conclusion that none of these solutions will work for us. So, I've approached a company about having a billet aluminum/ductile iron sleeved Coyote block built. We're currently sending them a block, which will be drawn up in CAD. We will be beefing up key areas of concern, and in about 3 months, we'll have the first test piece. This block will be put through its paces, on the dyno, and at the Texas Mile either this fall, or in the spring of 2014.

This WILL happen, and once we get some time in to make sure it's solid, I'll probably make them available if anyone is interested. If you're worried about cost, then this isn't for you. lol.. We're looking at 20 grand to have the first block built.. and roughly 9-10 grand per block after that. But, it will be built to withstand pretty much anything you can throw at it. We've been assured that it will hold in the neighborhood of 2500-3000hp. Also, this block will have water jackets, so it will be 100% street-able. It will be completely compatible with all accessories.

I'll post pics once we get the first block in, and of course pics of the build. I'm pretty excited to see what kind of numbers we can make, and what we can run in the GT. The chassis will be under the knife in the next month or so.. getting a full cage, billet 9", bracing, etc.. Then, we'll mock up the turbo, fuel, ignition and dry sump setup. Stay tuned as we put together this monster. :)

mjohns930

Established Member
This is very interesting. I wish you the best of luck with all of this, if only for the trickle down effect your initial investments may have on future technology for us regular people.

I also hate to be the one to ask, but why the Coyote/S197 platform? Not asking to be dick, just wondering the reasoning behind it.

I will be following this.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
This is very interesting. I wish you the best of luck with all of this, if only for the trickle down effect your initial investments may have on future technology for us regular people.

I also hate to be the one to ask, but why the Coyote/S197 platform? Not asking to be dick, just wondering the reasoning behind it.

I will be following this.

The owner loves the S197, and that's the car he wants to do it in. He is paralyzed from the mid-section on down, and to him it's a challenge. He wants to go and set records with a regular/base GT. I guess it's the "underdog" thing. Granted, this thing will have a TON of money into it, but I still think it's cool that he wants to go this route. His cars require hand controls, and this will be a major challenge to go and run successfully. I have a ton of respect for him.

Hopefully, what we do here helps better the Coyote/S197 platform in the future. We're just going out to have fun, and build something bad ass. I've got 15 years of experience, and look forward to the challenge. :)

Bud

Established Member
20k for just a block in a car that only costs 30k...and I thought I was crazy. Thanks for making me feel better.

zachcrosen

Established Member
The owner loves the S197, and that's the car he wants to do it in. He is paralyzed from the mid-section on down, and to him it's a challenge. He wants to go and set records with a regular/base GT. I guess it's the "underdog" thing. Granted, this thing will have a TON of money into it, but I still think it's cool that he wants to go this route. His cars require hand controls, and this will be a major challenge to go and run successfully. I have a ton of respect for him.

Hopefully, what we do here helps better the Coyote/S197 platform in the future. We're just going out to have fun, and build something bad ass. I've got 15 years of experience, and look forward to the challenge. :)

Interesting. In too!

mjohns930

Established Member

Thanks for the explanation and that should make for an exciting project. Good luck and I hope you can help all of us push forward.

Maybe it's too early for these questions but here it goes. What aero work is going to be done? What trans is going behind that engine? Will the car be back halfed or tube framed, or will it be stock based suspension with major upgrades?

NickSezz

Established Member
Best of luck to you guys!

I may have missed it but what are the plans for type of fuel and power adders? I am guessing twin turbo?

In my personal opinion, I would like to see a Coyote block that is capable of being a true 351... : )

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
You guys planning on going to the Texas Invitational races with this? I just don't see it being competitive with LMR and UGR... But I'd love to be proved wrong !!!!

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Thanks for the explanation and that should make for an exciting project. Good luck and I hope you can help all of us push forward.

Maybe it's too early for these questions but here it goes. What aero work is going to be done? What trans is going behind that engine? Will the car be back halfed or tube framed, or will it be stock based suspension with major upgrades?

It's a little early for some of that.. and some of the aero will have to be sorted out as we go, using equipment to measure down force as we nudge up to higher speeds. The key thing that we are concerned with is safety, and not rushing things ahead of our knowledge curve. We saw what happened to KP Racing and the Kelly Bise Camaro at this previous Texas Mile.. This is what happens when you rush things. We are setting a reasonable goal for the car at 250mph, and we won't cross that in this particular chassis.

The suspension will consist of a hybrid between the stock mounting locations and the overall cage/structure within the car. In other words the stock control arm mounting locations will be used, but will be completely boxed in and rebuilt out of stronger material. The rear axle will be a billet 9", and the wheel wells will most likely be tubbed.

The trans is still up in the air.. We've toyed with the idea of going auto. I've seen KP destroy even the strongest T56/TR6060 based trans at the power levels we're looking for, and given my buddy's condition, another hand control to operate a clutch would just be a distraction, IMO. But, we're still looking at options. I'm leaning towards a powerglide with a gear vendors overdrive.. giving us 4 forward ratios, ending in a .67 overdriven high gear. That should easily get us to the mph we're looking without spinning the engine past 8500rpm or so.

Again, much of this is in the preliminary stages.. and we're still laying the ground work. We are in no rush.. Just want to make sure that it gets done the right way, as safe as possible.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Best of luck to you guys!

I may have missed it but what are the plans for type of fuel and power adders? I am guessing twin turbo?

In my personal opinion, I would like to see a Coyote block that is capable of being a true 351... : )

The car will be turbocharged, and will run on either meth, or a combo of E85 and meth injection. Not sure just yet.. With the displacement we're at, and from experience with other high HP small displacement engines, I just think we'll be past the limit of what leaded gasoline can safely deliver for a mile type event.

This billet block will have the capability to go out to 350+ cubic inches.. and that will be something that can be chosen when the block is ordered. The only limit is the bore spacing. We're going to keep it at around 320-330 cubic inches, just to give ourselves some meat between the bores, and we'll probably add just a tad bit of stroke with the billet crank. So, the bore size won't increase much past stock, but it'll be a combination of the two.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
You guys planning on going to the Texas Invitational races with this? I just don't see it being competitive with LMR and UGR... But I'd love to be proved wrong !!!!

Our Mustang won't be at TI this year, but Mark's Ford GT (Camo GT) will be there, and will have a nasty surprise.

We all saw UGR go 217 in the half last weekend. Mark's car went 217 in the half in March in Beeville. That track SUCKS. Ellington is much better, and we consistently run 3-4mph faster in the half there than we do at Beeville.

Those UGR cars are getting it done, for sure.. and I can't wait to see Mark's GT go head to head with them at TI. Competition is what drives us all.. and Mark's car is undergoing a little bit of a "face lift" right now to get ahead of the curve. :)

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Our Mustang won't be at TI this year, but Mark's Ford GT (Camo GT) will be there, and will have a nasty surprise.

We all saw UGR go 217 in the half last weekend. Mark's car went 217 in the half in March in Beeville. That track SUCKS. Ellington is much better, and we consistently run 3-4mph faster in the half there than we do at Beeville.

Those UGR cars are getting it done, for sure.. and I can't wait to see Mark's GT go head to head with them at TI. Competition is what drives us all.. and Mark's car is undergoing a little bit of a "face lift" right now to get ahead of the curve. :)

What shop do you own or work for? What I find scary or hard to comprehend is how you safely and adequately can modulate the power and braking of a car with the potential you're looking to build with hand controls?

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
What shop do you own or work for? What I find scary or hard to comprehend is how you safely and adequately can modulate the power and braking of a car with the potential you're looking to build with hand controls?

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

I work for Hennessey as a fabricator/tech. I have 13 years of experience in the industry.

The accelerator and brake will be on the steering wheel. His hands never have to leave the wheel accept to shift and pull the chute.. no different than a normal bodied person.

Users who are viewing this thread