Bike riders chime in-- Good Starter Bike?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
There is probably only 700 threads about this on here but to answer it again get at least a 600 I don't care what anyone says, DO NOT waste your money on anything smaller. Actually I wish i'd have started on a 750. If you're scared to get a 600 or someone tells you not to, just take the class, learn on someone elses 250 and you'll be fine. Just don't ride like a dumbass and stay away from people who encourage dumb activities on their bikes, it will only get you in trouble or killed

lol @ the zx14

svt_fan1129

Established Member
Dude, theres no such thing as a starter bike, honestly. If you get something so called "starter bike" you'll probably master the handling and power within the month. Now what, you're left with something you wish that was stronger. Go big dude, you won't regret it.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Just be warned:

Liter sportbikes and beginners often times equal to squids unless you stay very afraid and start out really easy. :lol:

The liter bikes demand much respect from the mounted operators. If you are a truly first timer, and don't want to be a squid..

Stay away from the liter bikes as they are very potent, or "too" potent. It's very easy to low/high side them when one doesn't know what s/he is doing.

A cruiser, or significantly smaller naked sportbike/sportbike will be a better choice.

Good luck.

PS: Talking small: Ninja 250 is an awesome beginning biker from what I hear.. :thumbsup:

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
Have you riden anything before? Atleast a 250cc dirtbike or anything? If not then start very low. Ninja 250. If you already know how to ride and work a bike clutch then the ninja zx6r(636) is sweet. I know a few people who started on those and did fine, plus they are the best in the 600 class in my opinion

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I just think about my experience with dirtbikes. I started out on a Yamaha PW80. Yeah, it was tiny, yeah, i was kinda pissed, yeah, it was slow, yeah, I got made fun of for having the 'little' bike, but in hindsight, I wouldn't have it any other way. I had that bike for about 2 years and all my friends had bigger bikes. But I had to learn how to ride the living piss out of that thing to keep up and that made me a better rider in the long run. Do yourself a favor.....do not start out out on a 600/750cc sport bike. They are more bike than most anyone will ever truly use. Yeah, they might be able to flog it in a straight line like a champ, but when they have to avoid hitting something in the middle of the road or get themselves into any other demanding situation they are going to be up shit creek. Forget about your ego, forget about what people will say if you don't have at least a 600cc sport bike and all that shit. The bikes that are labeled as 'starter bikes' have pretty good resale value.....like Ninja 250s/500s, SVs, etc. Yeah, you might lose a few hundred bucks when you are truly ready to step up to a bigger bike, but the experience you will gain on it will be worth it. IMO it's not like a car where you can think, "Well man, I'll get used to this HCI 302 or pullied '03/04 pretty fast, so I might as well skip all that and build a stroked 351 or go with a Whipple/KB/twin turbos." It's a whole other ball game. Yeah, plenty of people say, "Well I started out on a R6." or ,"My friend started out on a Gixxer 750 and they did fine.".....but I guarantee you the person that started out on a Ninja 250/500, SV, or any other bike that's considered a starter bike will be the better rider when push comes to shove. Oh, and ALWAYS wear your gear. No matter how hot it is or if you're just going to the store down the road or whatever the excuse is......do not skimp on gear and become a squid. At the very least always wear a good helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots.

If you listen to the guys that tell you to get a 600/750 or bigger sport bike....you might as well go play a game of Russian roulette. And if you worry about what people think about what kind of bike you have or think you're going to outgrow something, then just stop...don't buy a bike. You're already in over your head. Again, that's just my 2 cents. Some people will probably disagree, but they're probably the ones wearing shorts, sneakers, and tank tops while trying to do wheelies on public roads to impress other people.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
It depends on you, mostly.

Four cylinders insure that you're not going to lack power. Water cooled.

Get a bike that has a more upright posture, you'll spend more time riding than recovering.

Nobody needs a liter bike. If you want one, get one. Modern 600's are into the 10 second quarter these days.

I suggest something in the "Sport-Touring" class. Look for the slowest quarter mile time, with the shortest stopping distance.

Take the rider safety course in your area, if there is one.

My first street bike was (is) a YZF-600r, and I haven't outgrown it yet. My second bike was a VFR-800. Both bikes of the year in the late 90's. The 800 has a great powerband, and you won't be tempted into stupid stuff as readily as your 750cc and 600cc brethren as you don't really fit into either class.

You're not usually the problem on the roads, either. The lady in the Suburban up ahead may not be either. But it's possible.

Last edited:

nhancedsvt

Established Member
thanks for all the suggestions guys! yall's opinions were right in there with mine and my dad's (for the most part). so i guess all there is to do now is find a bike i like...

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Go with a pigmobile.
GirlyBike.jpg

stocksvtcontour

Established Member
get an enduro dirtbike and then when you get used to riding on the street then buy a larger streetbike. Then you can keep the enduro for playing in the mud or sell it.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Yeah, plenty of people say, "Well I started out on a R6." or ,"My friend started out on a Gixxer 750 and they did fine.".....but I guarantee you the person that started out on a Ninja 250/500, SV, or any other bike that's considered a starter bike will be the better rider when push comes to shove. QUOTE]

How can you even validate that statement???

Truth be told, people that start out with the smaller bikes geared more towards beginners could get use to the bike "too" quickly (if there's such a thing). What I'm saying is that once they get accustomed to the bike they may begin to feel that they have "mastered" it and continuously try to push and push the bike to a level that just wasnt built to perform at...which could potentially be just as dangerous as a lighter/bigger cc bike...

Call me a squid bla bla bla, but I started out on a 00' GSXR 600 and within months I had located a 750 engine kit and had swapped it out. But then again I started riding dirt bikes when I was 10....so to each his own I guess.

Just be careful and respect whatever you end up with and watch out for the cagers...thats really what riding boils down to these days anyway(avoiding idiot drivers).:beer:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
get at least a 600 I don't care what anyone says, DO NOT waste your money on anything smaller. Actually I wish i'd have started on a 750.

why dont you type this on a bike forum and see what happens.
:burn:
heres some advice go to a sportbike forum and use the search for starter bikes and see what people who ride, race, and work on bikes their entire lives say about it....

analogy -

beginner driver asks for a beginners car.
"get an 03 cobra dude i dont care what anyone says DO NOT waste your money on anything smaller. Actually I wish i'd have started with a KB cobra."

sounds pretty dumb, cause i mean if you just take it slow you'll be fine right? :bored:

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
I'd say a kawasaki ZX-14. They are big heavy bikes which make them more stable and easier to ride for a beginner. I also suggest a small turbo to help her breath on the top end. Many ignorant people on this site will tell you to start off with a wimpy 600cc but its much easier to learn on a bigger bike. The extra weight will help you get more traction and those big motors don't rev as fast. Don't wear a helmet or leathers either, unless you want to look like a pussy :lol1:

:rockon::rockon::rockon::lol::lol::rockon::rockon::rockon:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
why dont you type this on a bike forum and see what happens.
:burn:
heres some advice go to a sportbike forum and use the search for starter bikes and see what people who ride, race, and work on bikes their entire lives say about it....

analogy -

"get an 03 cobra dude i dont care what anyone says DO NOT waste your money on anything smaller. Actually I wish i'd have started with a KB cobra."

sounds pretty dumb, cause i mean if you just take it slow you'll be fine right? :bored:

And i'm not speaking from experience? :dw:

Ok go waste your money on a 500 and have fun:sleeping:

As for your incorrect analogy, i'll help you formulate a new one,
Here is a question to get it started:
So a 03/04 Cobra is to a ____ as a 1000cc sportbike is to a 600?
I'm sure you aswered questions like this in elementry school
Well the answer would be a V6 Mustang

With that being said Comparing a V6 5 speed Mustang is what you should have said... Not Cobra

You correct statement:

analogy -

"get an 03 V6 Mustang dude i dont care what anyone says DO NOT waste your money on anything smaller. Actually I wish i'd have started with a Mach 1."

sounds pretty smart, I wish I could have come up with that? :rockon:

Thanks Josh for the help! You're awesome!! :beer:

Last edited:

Mayo5

Established Member
And i'm not speaking from experience?

Ok go waste your money on a 500 and have fun

As for your incorrect analogy, i'll help you formulate a new one,
Here is a question to get it started:
So a 03/04 Cobra is to a ____ as a 1000cc sportbike is to a 600?
I'm sure you aswered questions like this in elementry school
Well the answer would be a V6 Mustang

With that being said Comparing a V6 5 speed Mustang is what you should have said... Not Cobra

You correct statement:

SVT Cobra is to a bicycle, as a Litre bike is to a 600.

That is more like it.

Sorry bud, there is almost a 50hp different between Litres and 600's. That is astronomical.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
SVT Cobra is to a bicycle, as a Litre bike is to a 600.

That is more like it.

Sorry bud, there is almost a 50hp different between Litres and 600's. That is astronomical.

And a 2003 V6 Mustang has how much powr? like 200ish hp if that? Compared to an underrated 390hp Cobra? I think it is a perfect comparison

A bicycle is closer to a 50cc honda imo :thumbsup:

**Edit** I recommended a 600 to the OP not a 1000 if thats what you thought, I know there is a huge difference between a 600 and a 1000... I ride too

Last edited:

Mayo5

Established Member
**Edit** I recommended a 600 to the OP not a 1000 if thats what you thought, I know there is a huge difference between a 600 and a 1000... I ride too

:rockon: Just checking, there are alot of people who can be responsible and handle whatever, but sometimes people just don't realize the difference until it's too late.

Users who are viewing this thread