Bike riders chime in-- Good Starter Bike?

nhancedsvt

Established Member
Ok so I may be in the market for a motorcycle here pretty soon and I was just wondering what would be a good bike for a beginner? I've never had a street bike so I don't want to get in over my head. I want something fairly cheap (cost and on insurance) but something that still has the cool factor. I would also like a bike that I can grow with, not something that I will be tired of in 6 months. Thanks for any input!!!:beer:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I'd say a kawasaki ZX-14. They are big heavy bikes which make them more stable and easier to ride for a beginner. I also suggest a small turbo to help her breath on the top end. Many ignorant people on this site will tell you to start off with a wimpy 600cc but its much easier to learn on a bigger bike. The extra weight will help you get more traction and those big motors don't rev as fast. Don't wear a helmet or leathers either, unless you want to look like a pussy :lol1:

Common

Established Member
I'd say a kawasaki ZX-14. They are big heavy bikes which make them more stable and easier to ride for a beginner. I also suggest a small turbo to help her breath on the top end. Many ignorant people on this site will tell you to start off with a wimpy 600cc but its much easier to learn on a bigger bike. The extra weight will help you get more traction and those big motors don't rev as fast. Don't wear a helmet or leathers either, unless you want to look like a pussy :lol1:

:lol:

cthunder

Established Member
I've been kicking around getting an old: norton, or triumph, or BMW, or Ducati and fixing it up. I'd say get a harley sporster, but you want something you can grow into.

nhancedsvt

Established Member
yeah a sportster was at the top of my list because my dad has always rode harleys. i figured i could get an 883 and just put a big bore kit on it later on down the road. any other suggestions? maybe a sport bike?

Whizzle

Established Member
sv650s

Great low end torque which will make it a little more predictable for a learner. Inexpensive as well

diels1

Sidewinder Cobra
Established Member
sv650s

Great low end torque which will make it a little more predictable for a learner. Inexpensive as well

Ditto.

If I had to do it all over, I would buy one of these. Its a bike a beginner can learn on and grow with as your skill sets flurish as well.

WshIHada03SBCbr

Established Member
Dont go the sv650 route. Just get you a 600 and take it easy at first, U'll be wishing you had a 600 within 3 months of the having the sv650
GSXR.gif
:rockon:

cthunder

Established Member
Dont go the sv650 route. Just get you a 600 and take it easy at first, U'll be wishing you had a 600 within 3 months of the having the sv650:

you can make SV650's into some pretty wicked bikes... the aftermarket is pretty big and it has a cult following similar to the miata. If you were to pick a GSXR, I'd go with the 750... it's got the power to keep up with liter bikes.

fa110ut

Established Member

Pretty much what he said. :rockon:

Ok, now to be serious. I had a thread a while ago asking what kind of bike I should start out on. The opinions went down the entire line of CC's, starting at 250 and going to, "as big as you'll ever want."

I chose a Katana 750. It was the right price, and it's still quick enough to keep me satisfied for the time being. Handles great and everything. Pretty forgiving.

When I went to look at bikes, my greatest concern was how comfortable I felt sitting on the bike. It just so happened that I was uber-comfy on the 750, so that was my deciding factor.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
you can make SV650's into some pretty wicked bikes... the aftermarket is pretty big and it has a cult following similar to the miata. If you were to pick a GSXR, I'd go with the 750... it's got the power to keep up with liter bikes.

+11 Dis guy would be pretty smart.

:nonono:

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
i would say a sv650 as well. well rounded bikes.
Buells look better, have more power, cost more and have the american bike rep. you also probably wont get sick of it as fast. i like the naked look of the streetfighter personally

Last edited:

cthunder

Established Member
exactly what a beginner needs, enough power to keep up with 9sec bikes:nono:
+1 svo650

+11 Dis guy would be pretty smart.

:nonono:

Optimal words in the sentence are: IF YOU WERE... the OP already said that he was not looking for a sport bike. Besides, it's all how you ride it. I learned on a big bike, but I also took it easy because I valued being able to eat solid foods.

besides that, it was geared more towards WshIHada03SBCbr than the OP.

amigrad06

SVT Noob!
Established Member
I've been riding for many years, and here is where I started/learned with. Start with something cheap, if you lay it over or drop it, your not out a ton of cash. I started on a Yamaha 650 special, very easy to ride, light, yet fun. A Harley Sportster would work too, get an older one, parts are still easy to get, and they sound cool. Buy an older 883 sportster and when you are an experienced rider, drop the cash for a 1200 stroker kit and buell heads and go head hunting. The MOST important thing to do is sign up for a motorcycle safety course, like Harley's Rider's Edge course. Good luck shopping (I have a 78 100th anniv sporty for sale too LOL).

Users who are viewing this thread