Biggest pulley combo for 2.3 Whipple

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
Guys,

I tried to search and really couldn't get a good answer.

What is the biggest pulley combo you can safely run on 92/93 pump gas?

I currently have a 3.0 upper and have been considering adding a lower 2lb or 4lb and having it retuned so I can get over the 600 wheel hp.

I'm currently at 586rwhp/545rwtq

I don't want to go e85 yet due to the unreliable mix and availability is not the greatest.

Or am I maxed out for pump gas???

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You could possibly add more boost….but then your tuner would probably just back the timing off to allow for a safety zone and you'd probably be back right about where you are power wise with some additional blower whine. But generating more heat. Lol. I'd say for all practical purposes you are maxed out

How "bad" is the E85? Even E70 will produce amazing results and easily allow way more boost…like 22ish. Probably high 600s power and massive increase in TQ

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
I'm still return-less but am going return this summer, been collecting parts, just need a few more. Does that make a difference.

I already have 80lb injectors, twin 340l fuel pumps, slot MAF, mono blade billteflow Tb, etc..

94slowbra1

Established Member
i run a 3.25 upper and 4lb lower on a gen 1. makes about 20 lbs with bassani midlengths. make 616 at the wheels

cj428mach

Established Member
I agree you're pretty much maxed out on pump gas. I say as long as you can reliably get e70-e85 go that route. Im almost at 23 psi and 04sleeper said "im plenty safe".

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
How much boost are you making? You should be around 16-17lbs. I'm at 16.8 and our numbers are almost identical. As other said 17-18 is the max most run on 93oct. If you only have 92 or 91, you need to keep it even lower. If e85 is an option, definitely do it. Only reason I'm not on e85 yet is that I'm just trying to pace myself on sinking money into my mods.

BTW - I see your in MN, curious if you know if you use the same tuner and dyno as bdubbs?

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
Not sure who bdubbs is? My tuner is Casey Wittmer my numbers were identical at avford and car craft

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Not sure who bdubbs is? My tuner is Casey Wittmer my numbers were identical at avford and car craft

Member on here from MN that post a lot in Terminator Talk. I'm pretty sure that's the same guy he uses, not sure on the dyno though. He's had some issues and some of us, including me, have wondered about his tuner being part of the problem.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
But with my setup, how much would I gain from switching to e85???

100rwhp and 100rwtq. Huge gains low and midrange. Ultimate safety level from burning ethanol. It will be near impossible to detonate. Sound pretty good? Lol

tuner wise I would contact 04sleeper. He's the king of the korn tunes

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
100rwhp and 100rwtq. Huge gains low and midrange. Ultimate safety level from burning ethanol. It will be near impossible to detonate. Sound pretty good?

To close in on 700whp he would have to add a lower. I don't think even a mystical 2.6 rr pulley would get him there.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I am in your guys same boat. Pretty much tapped out on 91 here. I want to go E85 but I think when the time comes im gonna go E85 and Move up to a 2.9 Whipple.

94slowbra1

Established Member
All this e85 talk and I will never see it here. Too much oil dependency for it to find its way here. I'd be all over a 700hp 2.3 litre that was safe. Pump it race fuel it is

MN SVT GUY

Mn SVT Guy
Established Member
So looks like I leave the pulleys alone and get the return fuel system done and go e85 and retune.....

I appreciate all the responses

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
So looks like I leave the pulleys alone and get the return fuel system done and go e85 and retune.....

I appreciate all the responses

You could drop down to a 2.75 to pick up a few more pounds of boost. That plus e85 should put you around 650whp. I think that's my next move, then if I want to push it further I'll go up to a 2.9 down the road.

cj428mach

Established Member
You whipple owners should find a place that would make an adapter to run tvs pullies so you have more pulley options. The way tvs pullies are made it should be possible.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
To close in on 700whp he would have to add a lower. I don't think even a mystical 2.6 rr pulley would get him there.

My car is at 714 with just that mystical 2.6 upper, so I'd say it's possible. Not guaranteed, but possible.

One thing that is guaranteed…. 22psi on corn is going to kick the living shit out of 17psi pump gas. Doesn't matter what the dyno number reads or if it makes 700 or not. The car will be unrecognizable if driven back to back with both setups. At the end of the day its how the car feels thats important, not some dyno number.

Users who are viewing this thread