Biggest mistakes

olympic

Established Member
I didn't notice that the floor jack was slowly lowering and got my arm caught between the tire and fender while adjusting the coilovers. No one was around to help but I was able to reach the jack handle with my foot and give it a couple pumps to free my arm. Had a huge dent in my fore arm and lost feeling in that area for a few days.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Left bolts real loose on a tq arm a few months go while I was adjusting it on my fboat. The ****er fell and split my head open by the orbital socket.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Back in 2003 I had just installed my first nitrous kit on my 92 lx hatchback. My brother had recently purchased a calypso green 93 notchback that had a compucar kit installed. He gave me the kit for free and I was so excited to try it out. After a few hours for install and a trip to the local speed shop for a bottle refill, I was ready.

The car was running 12.4s at 108mph on motor and i decided to start out with the 50hp jets. On the first pass it damn near lifted the front tires and went 11.6 at 116mph. Nitrous is the greatest invention ever!

The car had dropped .8 and picked up 8mph on only a 50hp shot...then what would the 90hp jets do? I let the car cool down in the pits and swapped out the jets.

I get to the beams and put the car up on the footbrake at 1500rpm. The lights go down and I put the pedal through the firewall...the cars bogs down. BOOOOM!!! The car back fired and sent my cobra intake into orbit. The intake punched through my freshly painted Cervini's 4" cowl hood and driverside fender. It tacoed the throttle body, destroyed the maf, and mushroomed the air filter all while catching on fire. The crew at Cecil county put the fire out with 2 fire extinguishers and pushed the car off of the line.

When it was all said and done the cost of not running an RPM window switch was about $3,000. That includes the tow home and engine tear down for inspection. A year after the incident I went back to an NX kit with all of the necessary safeties. I went through hundreds of bottle refills with no issues to report.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Replacing a pilot bearing, had it about halfway out and decided to grab a set of channel locks to wiggle it out the last bit. Obviously didn't have a puller, was doing "the bread trick", which by the way works. Well when I feel it almost out, on the last rotation towards my face, im lying on my back sideways to get leverage, the pilot bearing comes out and the channel locks slap my left eyebrow.

Blood everywhere and you could see the bone of how far separated the skin was. Well, gobs of Vaseline later, the blood stopped enough for me to finigh the clutch install and then head over to a family members house, who is a nurse and she stiched me up in about 15 mins.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Opened up a set of cargo doors on a big truck. A 1/2 inch plate fell like a guillotine on my foot. I drove home took off my blood filled boot and sock. My middle toe was hanging on by the lower skin. I told ER to just amputate, but they said it would really affect my balance. They ended up saving it. It never really hurt.

blk02edge

Established Member
Removing slave cylinder with no goggles like an absolute moron and got a full money shot of brake fluid on my bare eyeball. **** did that ever suck for about 12hours

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had an ALMOST catastrophe back when I was a senior in high school. I was working on my car and used a sub-par scissor jack to jack up the rear on the dirt part of our driveway. You can probably see what's coming. I took off the wheel, slid under the brake drum with the drum directly above my face, when I sensed the jack slipping. I instinctively quickly rolled out from under the car and 2 seconds later, down came the car, with the brake drum digging a 2 inch rut in the dirt. Had I not moved when I did, I would not be typing out this post. :eek:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Oh about 26 years ago my dad had just got a 77 Acric Cat panther 440 with only.a 100 miles on it. it matched the 340 cheetah I had at the time. Well after a day of riding around my dad said take the 440 for a quick spin. Back then a 440 was a pretty good sized sled as the big sleds in the mid 80s were 500s for the most part...and being a boy I sorta had to see how fast she was. I remember hitting 75ish and just then I hit something and went up on one ski then I went face.first through the windshield and that's all I remember of that sunday afternoon.

No helmet, didn't break a bone. One big old shinner and a sore body I went to school the next day

Machdup1

Established Member
Installed fuel rails on my vette and fail to notice on of the AN connectors was bad. Turned the car on and it was running rough, Tom a peek and there was a fountain of gasoline spraying all over and I shut it down. I was lucky it didn’t ignite as I realized I had no extinguisher on hand. Took me hours to clean up.

cammed 2v gt

Established Member
Lit my carpet in my fox on fire whie heating up a nitrous bottle hidden behind the passange seat with a torch. Panicked when i saw flame and slapped that sucker out with my hand resulting in a pretty bad burn covered in melted 30yr old carpet.

Noticed a fuel smell while driving my beater xj cherokee and proceeded to ignore it for a couple days until the smell was so bad I could barely breathe. Opened the hood while it was running and got sprayed in the face by a very badly leaking fuel rail. I can't beleive that thing didnt burn to the ground.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Using a cutoff wheel removing rotors off an Expedition that still had the original rotors after 100+k miles. Cut the driver side off no problem but got to the passenger side and a piece of rust kicked off the rotor, struck me UNDER my safety glasses and embedded itself into my cornea almost into my iris.

Spent 2 days wondering why my eye was itchy. Finally woke up the morning of the 3rd day with this horrible smelling fluid on my pillow and a severe amount of pain. Rushed to the emergency room, they put my face under this creepy vision microscope and found the rusted piece of metal embeded into my eyeball. They then had to extract the piece of metal from my eyeball using some clamps and a scalpel. Doctor said if i had waited another day or two i probably would have lost my vision from damage.

One eye is definitely worse for wear in the ability to see at distance. Will never grind/cut again without a face shield.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Years ago I was putting a new motor in my 89 Coupe. My fuel rails wasn't seated on the injectors good and somehow we forgot the #1 spark plug was removed from the head but plugged into the wire. Turned the car over and immediately set the engine bay ablaze. Burnt my whole engine harness and ruined the fresh paint on my upper intake. Will never forget that lesson.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Using a cutoff wheel removing rotors off an Expedition that still had the original rotors after 100+k miles. Cut the driver side off no problem but got to the passenger side and a piece of rust kicked off the rotor, struck me UNDER my safety glasses and embedded itself into my cornea almost into my iris.

Spent 2 days wondering why my eye was itchy. Finally woke up the morning of the 3rd day with this horrible smelling fluid on my pillow and a severe amount of pain. Rushed to the emergency room, they put my face under this creepy vision microscope and found the rusted piece of metal embeded into my eyeball. They then had to extract the piece of metal from my eyeball using some clamps and a scalpel. Doctor said if i had waited another day or two i probably would have lost my vision from damage.

One eye is definitely worse for wear in the ability to see at distance. Will never grind/cut again without a face shield.
Wow, Kevin, you were fortunate you got medical help in time. I have to admit that I forego safety glasses sometimes. I hope I'll be more inclined to wear them going forward.

Sleezy T

Established Member
IMG_0604.JPG
cut myself shaving

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Back in the day... When I had the Exploder... Had to replace the fuel filter. Easy job, figured I’d knock it out in the Autozone parking lot.

Get under the SUV to proceed and try to unhook one of the 2 connectors. For some reason, the first connector was not coming undone, figured I’d try the other one. As I was working on the second connector, the first one became undone and sprayed a little fuel out. I quickly turned my face to protect my eyes. Turns out, you ear drums are pretty vulnerable too.

Yep, got fuel in the ear and into the drum. ****ed me up. I have never been knocked out, but that was the closest I have ever came. Very intense pain.

It was fun finishing the install after that.... lol.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Spit a spark plug out of my ‘99 GT
Spent the winter replacing the head, taking my time and working casually.
Finally had the whole thing rebuilt and started routing my belt in a hurry, was going to a rehearsal dinner real shortly.

Apparently, I went OVER the idler pulley instead of under.

Cranked motor. Snapped pulley and a chunk if timing chain cover right off.

There was a tapestry of curse words that to this day, can still be found hovering iver Lake Michigan...
(Bonus points if someone knows that reference)

Users who are viewing this thread