Biggest air filter I've ever seen

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
So my old 9" long, 4" opening S&B filter was a little torn up and I saw a thread on modular fords about a huge air filter off one of their diesel kits. So for a whooping $54 I had to try it.

My good lord the pics don't do it justice, its huge.

Not only that, it has deeper pleats for more surface area. Probably about 500 sq inches vs 1035 sq inches for the new one. Its THAT big and still fits great.

here are some pics

bigassfilter.jpg

bigassfilter2.jpg

bigassfilter3.jpg

bigassfilter4.jpg

Haven't had a chance to ring it out to see power difference, but it pulls pretty good regardless

Quadcammer

Established Member
no kidding. When I saw it I said no way, but it actually has decent room all the way around.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Hope like hell you don't get caught in the rain somewhere.. that thing is a monster

Quadcammer

Established Member
bigger filter to feed the 1400cfm+ blower.

haha, it weighs almost a lb I would say.

I'm not that worried about rain. I've driven it in rain before, and since this guy is an inch shorter, its less susceptible to splash up.

Also, since it has much more surface area, more water will be required to saturate the element.

I don't drive it in rain too much anyway, but if I get caught, I'm not overly worried.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
I'm thinking about doing the JLT CAI on my daily driver... It rains here often. Bad idea? I figured the splash guard would keep a lot of water off of it.

Solo500

Established Member
The RAI would be your best bet. I've personally known people who have had to buy new engines from going in dips with too much water. The couple horsepower you gain isn't worth it.

I'm thinking about doing the JLT CAI on my daily driver... It rains here often. Bad idea? I figured the splash guard would keep a lot of water off of it.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea.. There's probably 100,000+ mustangs with CAI and you see the OCCASIONAL hydrolocked engine because of this... I will eventually go the RAI way myself, but there's not much of a difference either way.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
I'm not worried about puddles that deep, but it does seem like driving it in the rain would soak the filter. Damn- I really wanted that setup.

edswhite99

Established Member

I'll have a white JLT CAI for sale in about a week thanks to a case of hydrolockitis.

SlowSVT

Established Member
What is the purpose of a bigger fileter?

A bigger filter will have less pressure drop (lower air velocity) thru the media. That is a good thing.

Quadcammer, I run a Uni-Filter foam air filter on mine. Use Bel-Ray foam filter oil which is the best. Nasty sticky stuff but you wouldn't believe the amount of grit it catches down to the consistency of powder. When I removed the Eaton the rotors they looked brand new with not a single scratch on them after 16,000 miles. Not crazy about gauze type pleated filters. They are less restrictive the foam filters but have lots of pin size holes and a thin barrier.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I'm not worried about puddles that deep, but it does seem like driving it in the rain would soak the filter. Damn- I really wanted that setup.

I ran the CAI on my cobra for almost 3 years in Florida with no issues.

I drove from Ohio to Florida nonstop and it was raining the entire time with no issues.

You just can't go through 1 foot of water. That's what trucks are for.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I ran the CAI on my cobra for almost 3 years in Florida with no issues.
I drove from Ohio to Florida nonstop and it was raining the entire time with no issues.
You just can't go through 1 foot of water. That's what trucks are for.

Its such a gamble. I have seen trashed motors in both cases. My personal rule of thumb, if your car spends its time in signifigant rain fall dont use a CAI, plus I'd like to see anyone feel or notice the different between 2 maybe 3 bhp...

Quadcammer

Established Member
A bigger filter will have less pressure drop (lower air velocity) thru the media. That is a good thing.

Quadcammer, I run a Uni-Filter foam air filter on mine. Use Bel-Ray foam filter oil which is the best. Nasty sticky stuff but you wouldn't believe the amount of grit it catches down to the consistency of powder. When I removed the Eaton the rotors they looked brand new with not a single scratch on them after 16,000 miles. Not crazy about gauze type pleated filters. They are less restrictive the foam filters but have lots of pin size holes and a thin barrier.

I'm not too concerned. I don't need the engine to last 150k miles. After 20k miles on this engine with a gauze filter, compression and leakdown are similar to numbers done at 2k miles.

I admit they let in more dirt and thats not good, but I'm not about to experiment with other types of filters.

Users who are viewing this thread