BIG Procharger or Turbo?

13 GT/CS

Established Member
Currently have a Vortech JT and its just not enough and its time to upgrade. Aiming for the 1,000rwhp-1,500 range and was leaning toward a twin setup but then after talking to some people I started looking into a F1R or other similar head units. Which would be better, any pros or cons of each? Any input would be awesome, kinda stuck right now. Thanks!

Last edited:

11redGT/CS

Established Member
I'd say if you got the JT and it ain't doing it for you no more then I'd go turbo don't think the procharger is going to do it either!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
What power/times are you putting down with the JT?

+1.. need more info on your current set up? Might make sense to stay with your current set up just with a larger head unit.

Moving to turbo will mean completely redesigning your setup and some parts will no longer be usable (headers).

Bgoins

Established Member
1000-1500 is actually a pretty wide range. Are there certain race events u want to run in? Any particular times you want to run? If you are ok with making right at 1000 I'd probably stick with the centrifugal. If u are leaning more towards 1500 I'd say turbo is the way

13 GT/CS

Established Member
+1.. need more info on your current set up? Might make sense to stay with your current set up just with a larger head unit.

Moving to turbo will mean completely redesigning your setup and some parts will no longer be usable (headers).

Built Motor, sleeved, built auto, the works. Return fuel system, full suspension, and full exhaust with longtubes which like you said I would have to get rid of if I went turbo. Another reason why procharger looks like a possible option. But what head unit would be next and actually worth the money..?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Making around 800rwhp right now on 93 through a built auto. Havent tried e85 yet.
Havent been to the track because lack of proper wheel and tire setup. Hoping to run the 1/2 in May though.

You can make a little less then 1000rwhp with a JT on E85. Anything more then that you would have to change out the headunit to a YSI or go over to a big procharger. If your end goal is 1200-1500rwhp which is a huge number then maybe a turbo setup is better for you.

I personally would get a proper wheel and tire setup and take it to the track on the JT and see how it does and play with another pulley combo. You may be happy with what you have already.

On a Turbo setup If you want twins I would go with hellion and if you want a single I would go with a CPR kit.

13 GT/CS

Established Member
You can make a little less then 1000rwhp with a JT on E85. Anything more then that you would have to change out the headunit to a YSI or go over to a big procharger. If your end goal is 1200-1500rwhp which is a huge number then maybe a turbo setup is better for you.

I personally would get a proper wheel and tire setup and take it to the track on the JT and see how it does and play with another pulley combo. You may be happy with what you have already.

On a Turbo setup If you want twins I would go with hellion and if you want a single I would go with a CPR kit.

How much would it cost to switch to a YSI and what kinds of gains could I expect from switching?

Users who are viewing this thread