Big power on blowers.

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
Good afternoon everyone! Just looking to get some info on the power levels of big blowers. I am planning on doing a motor build next few months and My original thought was to do twins seem to make power more efficient and have more room to grow. However I love the idea of a big power blower build on a blower. My goal is to make as much power as possible on e85 cams and built motor. Is it worth it to go big kenne bell or whipple? My goal would be 1000 or as close as I can come. (worried the blower wont be close enough) Or does everyone end up going turbo sooner or later? Current setup is a 2.9 on a stock 120k motor makes a hair over 600hp on pump and will be on e85 in the next few weeks.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
If all you want is a dynosheet that says 1000hp then go turbo. It’ll be the quickest route. Or get a mammoth KB or 4.0 whipped. Both would get you there with cams and such.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
If you’re set on 1000hp, turbo. You’ll run into many obstacles trying to get to 1000hp on a blower. It can be done but it will cost you. There was a member here who had a fully built engine and a 2.9 and broke 1000hp on C85. Ive heard of stock engines making 1000hp on a turbo setup. They don’t have hood clearance issues, belt slip or heat soaking issues either.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you’re set on 1000hp, turbo. You’ll run into many obstacles trying to get to 1000hp on a blower. It can be done but it will cost you. There was a member here who had a fully built engine and a 2.9 and broke 1000hp on C85. Ive heard of stock engines making 1000hp on a turbo setup. They don’t have hood clearance issues, belt slip or heat soaking issues either.

and dont snap crankshafts like big PD blowers

Brian Kuntzman

Terminator_mk6
Established Member
I knew that going turbo would be the easiest thing. It is good to know that it can be done if I do decide to go that route. I just love the idea of a big power blower car. Esp since thats kinda what makes the terminators special imo. One big thing for me is I can not go stupid compression on a motor cause I still wanna be able to run 93 on long trips. So I like the idea of turbos just being able to switch boost levels on the fly with no Pullies or such. So turbos seem to be the best bet for me

stangfreak

Established Member
I know some shops make a million hp with a twin screw. They tell you in runs cold, compression is 20.1 and you are stuck using e85. If you really really want 1000rwhp, turbo. All we keep doing is by the next best bigger blower to only make a litte bit more than what we have. buy sell buy sell. Then when you want to make crazy power with a twinscrew, 4.6, you have to do a radical build. For me, thats radical. For others, its not a big deal. Maybe im crazy.

Twin turbo. You can go from pump gas to race gas to e85 with one button. Make crazy power more efficiently. Turbo is where its at. You also have to remember high compression motor with a decent amount of boost is on that fine line. and the motor runs hot. I have no idea how the e85 works or helps with that. But you are stuck using e85 with a high compression motor and a big blower. Those two are just recipes for crazy heat. Its just my opinion. I guess people on the internet make it happen so you can copy one of those. For me, practicality, easier setup, different fuel options, and want to make 1000 or even more, 1200 1100, its turbo.

My buddies cobra makes over 1100rwhp. Twin turbo, nothing crazy. All he did was pistons and arp studs. The rest is all stock from ford. Its not a crazy build and he can drive the car from new york to florida with no problem. and he beats the shit out of that car at the track .

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My experience was high compression motor (10.5), ported heads, cams etc. and a 2.9 whipple @ 30 PSI to make over 1000 whp. The problem was high CR motor and big blower means lower crank pulley dies. I mean like every 400 miles. It was worthless. I broke at least 6 setups including custom made setups before giving up.

So my suggestion would be high CR and a 2.3 blower of your choice. The lower crank pulley lives and you'll make dangerously close to 1000 (depending on how all out you go) but not quite. The car will be crazy fast, have instant torque down low in such excess amounts that tires, suspension and traction are going to become a big deal. A lot more so than you've ever dealt with.

If you really just chasing a number though like 1000 whp and want the car to be halfway reliable and not cost a fortune then go turbo.

Becomes a personal choice. I've built/had both single and twin turbo cars, 4, 6, and 8 cylinders as well as blower cars. I just love the blower experience which is why I'd rather give up the top end and keep the blower.

Users who are viewing this thread