Big HP streetable exernal fuel pump?

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
I'm stuck on what to do for my fuel pump situation. I'm currently running a Weldon DB2015-A pump (http://www.weldonracing.com/product/11-6/DB2015-A_(-12_inlet_and_-10_outlet).html)
with my return system, sump tank, -8 feed line -6 return, all aeromotive stuff etc.

I have plans for this car, soon it will be 5.0 stroker, ported heads, ported pullied Eaton, longtubes etc and sometime next year it will be 2.9 Whipple powered. So I have big power in mind, and I know this pump is maxed out around 550-600whp on E85 from talking to the folks at Weldon.

What external pump or pumps are you big power street car guys running? I looked into a bigger Weldon, maybe a 2035, anyone have experience with this pump on the street? It's big $$$ I know that... A search didn't really yield the answers I need... Thanks

Edit: I edited the original post since I later found out my fuel pump cut out issue was being caused by some jank wiring. Pump running strong now with no issues.

Last edited:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Magnafuel 4303 will support that, I drove my car to Mustang Alley this weekend in 90* heat for over an hour. No problems.

XCSEDAN

Established Member
why do you want an external pump over an internal?
externals tend to be more problematic than internals on street cars.
they definitely have their place, but i would much rather run twin internal pumps than an external setup on a street car.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
they definitely have their place, but i would much rather run twin internal pumps than an external setup on a street car.

I agree, except my system is already set up for an external pump. I'm thinking it would cost me a bit more to convert to a cobra tank, hat, pumps, lines etc than it would to upgrade my current pump. I plan to switch back and forth between 93 and E85 and this sump tank makes it super easy with a drain plug. I do like the consistency of this fuel system, and would like to maybe run a fuel cooler in the future.

svtshadow

Banned

Explain how they are problematic.

I have been driving on the street since 2009 with a sump tank and 3 external fuel pumps on the street for (Let me go check my miles since i put that system in) Thats right 48,541.2 miles and never had a single problem with my fuel pumps or the system. If a system is installed in a stupid way it will operate in a stupid way.

Last edited:

XCSEDAN

Established Member
I agree, except my system is already set up for an external pump. I'm thinking it would cost me a bit more to convert to a cobra tank, hat, pumps, lines etc than it would to upgrade my current pump. I plan to switch back and forth between 93 and E85 and this sump tank makes it super easy with a drain plug. I do like the consistency of this fuel system, and would like to maybe run a fuel cooler in the future.
yep, i can definitely see the benefits to it for you then, shame you cant add a flex fuel sensor and just tune the engine through that, i've got them on most cars that i put aftermarket ECUs in.
definitely run a fuel cooler if you plan on doing a lot of street driving, always better to safe proof yourself :)

Explain how they are problematic.

I have been driving on the street since 2009 with a sump tank and 3 external fuel pumps on the street for (Let me go check my miles since i put that system in) Thats right 48,541.2 miles and never had a single problem with my fuel pumps or the system. If a system is installed in a stupid way it will operate in a stupid way.

relax buddy, i work in a race shop, we constantly have issues with external pumps being exposed to the elements and debris, and over heating in summer on long drives or freezing in winter, there is nothing you can do about it, it's the biggest downfall of an external system. you can boot mount them which saves a lot of issues if you have a fuel cell, but then the heat becomes more of an issue. when you're talking about 8 second cars, having a pump heat up and drop fuel pressure even for a second is not an option.
they definitely have their place, but for constant street usage i wouldn't recommend it, for an EFI application i usually recommend a multiple in tank pump setup over a big external for street duties, for racing, external or belt driven.

Last edited:

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
yep, i can definitely see the benefits to it for you then, shame you cant add a flex fuel sensor and just tune the engine through that, i've got them on most cars that i put aftermarket ECUs in.
definitely run a fuel cooler if you plan on doing a lot of street driving, always better to safe proof yourself :)

That's interesting about the flex fuel sensor, I'm gonna do some searching and reading on that.

I've been in touch with Joe over at Kincaid about running a killer chiller unit plumbed into my return fuel line, along with a standard killer chiller unit for IC fluid, and he believes it would work great together. Talk about cooling the charge, I think that would do it and keep the pump/fuel cooler on longer drives no doubt.

I'm still looking around at pumps although I'm leaning toward the Weldon 2035.

XCSEDAN

Established Member
i don't know if you can add them to your factory ECU though, you'll have to look into that.
i use the haltech system, very simple and very accurate.

that's a smart idea with the killer chiller, i think it'd work very well, if you're running one already just add an extra coolant reservoir to it for the fuel system if you end up going that way. that way you have one reservoir plumbed to the intercooler and one plumbed to the fuel cooler, you could always just run one big reservoir with two pumps and lines as well if you wanted to go that route.

as far as pumps go, we mostly use aeromotive at work, seems to be the most reliable, on the big systems we use magnafuel

do you have a low pressure pump feeding a surge tank? if so you could also put the cooler between the low pressure pump and the surge tank safely. if you wanted to put it on the high pressure side it would want to be a well engineered cooler, which really should be no issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread