big and littles! ccw? bogart?? TRUE FORGED!!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
damn sgt D, you must be making some big bucks buying custom TF's!

are you coming home from deployment??? if so welcome back!

manOwar

Established Member
Bogart makes some nice wheels and not everybody has them. I do see more CCW where I'm at, but I would've rather bought some Bogarts and also benefitted from how light they are. Those seem heavy for drag wheels which is the main concern because typically a 16" rim in the rear with an 18" in the front won't look particularly good no matter what the spokes look like, so going for the performance would be 1st on my list when considering drag wheels.

Edit: I guess you edited out what you wrote just as I clicked "quote"? lol

It would have been easy to get the Bogart's everyone is running on GT500's, but they are not DOT approved and not recommended for the street. I've spoke with Bogart and the stress put on the wheel could case fatigue and the wheel to crack. It would have been nice to run a 17" front but with the weight of the 5.4 up there, I would rather have a 6 ply tire carrying it than a 4 ply which is all that's available in a 17" front runner.

Bogart 17 x 5 for the GT500 is 16.4lbs and the 15 x 10 is 12.5 - 13lbs
M&H 4.5/26-17 are about 12lbs and MT 28/10.5-15 are 24lbs

Front = ~28.4lbs
Rear = ~37lbs

TF Retro 18 x 5 for the GT500 are 20lbs and 16 x 9.5 are 18.6lbs
MT S/R 6ply are 18lbs and Hoosier 28/10-16 are 23lbs

Front = ~38lbs
Rear = ~41lbs

A difference of ~23lbs and even less for sgt d..... and 23lbs in the big scheme = what??? .02 seconds???? I think I can live with that!!:thumbsup:

firebird1999us

Established Member
It would have been easy to get the Bogart's everyone is running on GT500's, but they are not DOT approved and not recommended for the street. I've spoke with Bogart and the stress put on the wheel could case fatigue and the wheel to crack. It would have been nice to run a 17" front but with the weight of the 5.4 up there, I would rather have a 6 ply tire carrying it than a 4 ply which is all that's available in a 17" front runner.

Bogart 17 x 5 for the GT500 is 16.4lbs and the 15 x 10 is 12.5 - 13lbs
M&H 4.5/26-17 are about 12lbs and MT 28/10.5-15 are 24lbs

Front = ~28.4lbs
Rear = ~37lbs

TF Retro 18 x 5 for the GT500 are 20lbs and 16 x 9.5 are 18.6lbs
MT S/R 6ply are 18lbs and Hoosier 28/10-16 are 23lbs

Front = ~38lbs
Rear = ~41lbs

A difference of ~23lbs and even less for sgt d..... and 23lbs in the big scheme = what??? .02 seconds???? I think I can live with that!!:thumbsup:

You could eat lots of high fiber foods and improve your times too:shrug:

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
The wheels do look nice but id prefer the bogarts personally. I know Steve and the True forged guys are a big part of this site but just not really into any of his wheels. Good luck at 2k10!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
these arent a true "drag wheel" like bogarts but the point of these is that you dont have to haul an extra set of wheels to the track with you and then swap them out when you get there, and before you leave. OR drive the 10, 20 miles, or more, and risk breaking one of your $600 featherlite wheels.

these are perfect for the occasional weekend warrior who wants to drive to the track, have fun, and drive right home. no hassles. its one reason we've been doing a lot more 17s for Lightnings lately.

now if you have a Nick Owens type car that does wheelstands and the 1320 in 7 seconds, then yeah, go with some Bogarts. but then you also will be trailering your monster to the track anyways :burnout:

and if you dont like the wheels/designs, that's ok too, not everyone likes everything :p

we're just presenting more options for folks. especially those who like to look good while going fast :coolman:

and thanks to Mano and Sarg for giving them a shot :beer:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member

Not too sure what you said since you edited your reply to my post, but a few pounds DOES matter no matter what power level you're working with. There is a huge difference between a 8lb front runner and a 20lb front wheel. As I'm sure Steve at TF knows, you have to keep in mind with wheel and tire weight, that EVERY single ONE static lb of mass is like 3.3lbs when converted to rolling mass. So you can't just say "well so what they're 12lbs heavier each..in reality they're a lot more than that. I will say in my old 89 GT five liter I went from 14.10s every pass to 13.90s every pass doing nothing but going from 17x9 Cobra Rs to 15x3.5 Draglites (Welds heavier street wheels) in the front.

I'm not knocking these new TF wheels at all, because as Steve had mentioned, similiar to our new Weld R/T wheels, they are a street design, and you don't have much choice but to sacrafice some weight when building a drag wheel for the street. They do look amazing by the way!

forcefedcobra

Established Member
cool. I had been working on him to make a 16x10 and 17x4 combo for me for a long long time but he said he couldnt do it

61mmstang94

Established Member
How muh do they cost?

I get the point of being tougher for the street and not bending, but I don't know many people who will leave skinny 18s on the front with 16s on the back full time anyways...so you still end up swapping them out for a true set of street wheels every time you get back from the track. They look good, though...especially the mach 5s (?).

Edit: How big are the front brakes on a GT500?

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
sinister, if i can find a driver for the shelby then i will take both but there is no way after waiting for this build that i could not drive the coupe..lol..

I hear ya, I'd have to take the coupe too. If I didn't have my truck I'd drive the shit out of the Shelby for ya lol.

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Those that are worried about the size offset must have never seen the Livernois Mach 1 from a few years ago, smaller rears allow more meat an add so much more intimidation to a drag setup... Sinister!

New - Livernois Motorsports - Dennis' 2003 Single Turbo Mach I

gal-63-p-661-large.jpg

gal-63-p-1776-large.jpg

Last edited:

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I like the style, but I'm not a fan of having bigger wheels upfront. Those would look sick as 16s all around though, (JMO).

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
thanks manOwar, i got too tired last night to finish finding that info:beer:

at best i am a weekend warrior so these wheels will be more than perfect for me and are a ton lighter than my 20" chicanes. i justed wanted to share another option for those out there in the same scenario as me:beer:

i will get them mounted and show everyone and as another said i would rather give up the weight for a wheel i do not have to worry about bending!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Great alternative for drag wheels! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't put a set of Bogarts on my car if they were free! They are junk! I have seen WAAAAAAY to many break and crack to take that chance.

Good job Steve! :rockon:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Great alternative for drag wheels! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't put a set of Bogarts on my car if they were free! They are junk! I have seen WAAAAAAY to many break and crack to take that chance.

Good job Steve! :rockon:

You're not susposed to drive them on the street. I always get a kick out of people complaining about their broken drag wheels. Have I drove on the street with my 17" Alumastars? Yep. Will I cry if I break one? Nope. I know the consiquences for driving a light weight drag wheel on the street.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
it is nice to be able to do it and not even worry about it though.

steve did a good job with this set up in my mind and i will continue to buy his product. to each his own:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread