Beware of WeaponX Motorsports

Fastang77

There is apparently a bunch of BS going on at WeaponX. I sent coils to get fixed to WeaponX Motorsport, (www.weaponxmotorsports.com) and apparantely they are a dummy corporation meant to steal customers away from WeaponX Performance (www.weaponxperformance.com) . WeaponX Performance had been in business since 2001 selling the ignition coils, and WeaponX Motorsports opened in 2012, who sells GMS, and MSD ignition components. You do the math. There is no business relationship at all between the two.

Fn shady business tactics if you asked me. Apparently Mark over at the real WeaponX told me they had been sending cease and decist and fighting a trademark battle in court for 6 years but decided this year that the inability to advertise and customer confusion wasn't worth the fight any longer. Apparently, lawyers doing what lawyers do best, take money and drag out the process as long as humanly possible. Doesn't surprise me.

I just wanted to warn others, and if you want to get ahold of the real WeaponX, it is www.weaponxperformance.com, or as of their new name, www.missionignitionsystems.com

Fastang77

Shady..... thank you for posting!

Glad to help out anyone else who goes through this. Dummy me just went and sent the coils to the fake "WeaponX", and they weren't very helpful. They right out refused to forward the coils. I will be happy just to get them back. Who opens a business under the same name as a competitor? Just pure upset about this! smh

Good to know. They should just change there name. Would be cheaper

Me32... looks like they did. Closed up "WeaponX" and are now "Mission Systems". That is why I was confused. The coils are still branded under a WeaponX product line, but the company name is different.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Glad to help out anyone else who goes through this. Dummy me just went and sent the coils to the fake "WeaponX", and they weren't very helpful. They right out refused to forward the coils. I will be happy just to get them back. Who opens a business under the same name as a competitor? Just pure upset about this! smh

Me32... looks like they did. Closed up "WeaponX" and are now "Mission Systems". That is why I was confused. The coils are still branded under a WeaponX product line, but the company name is different.

My mistake thank you for the clarification

Fastang77

I never had luck with real WeaponX coils, tried two different sets. The stock always performed better. I'd avoid on mod motors.
I found most peoples stories and "claims" unfounded when it comes to WeaponX coils. I run twin T76 turbos, at 946whp, and have the gap with my WeaponX coils set to 0.030". The stock coils I had to gap at 0.016" Mark told me if they didn't work, he would pay for the shipping and refund me in full. That was enough. Apparantly the Shelby 1000 uses the WeaponX coils as OEM parts.

Fastang77

If you're used genuine weapon x coils in the first place you're misinformed. Oem for the win.
I bought a brand new GT my friend. The coils were OEM. Pauls High Performance did my friends GT... with the same turbos... and had to switch coils because I was +80hp up on my combo.

But anyway... I know this is going to turn into a he said, she said pissing contest when it comes to coils. I just came to inform people of the company issue. If you don't like the coils... fine with me. I am aware of the mindset online, and what all coils are capable of, thank you for your input though.

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I found most peoples stories and "claims" unfounded when it comes to WeaponX coils. I run twin T76 turbos, at 946whp, and have the gap with my WeaponX coils set to 0.030". The stock coils I had to gap at 0.016" Mark told me if they didn't work, he would pay for the shipping and refund me in full. That was enough. Apparantly the Shelby 1000 uses the WeaponX coils as OEM parts.
My 'story' isn't a claim. I tried WeaponX when they first came out in 2006 and they sucked no matter what gap, massive breakup. Years later I emailed Mark, he said $100 and he'll send me a new set if I send my old ones back. I tried them again and same thing, even when I turned the dwell up according to his numbers provided. I run twin 6766's and made 1230 wheel on stock coils through a turbo 400 and am likely approaching 1400 now. Running IGN1A coils now

Fastang77

My 'story' isn't a claim. I tried WeaponX when they first came out in 2006 and they sucked no matter what gap, massive breakup. Years later I emailed Mark, he said $100 and he'll send me a new set if I send my old ones back. I tried them again and same thing, even when I turned the dwell up according to his numbers provided. I run twin 6766's and made 1230 wheel on stock coils through a turbo 400 and am likely approaching 1400 now. Running IGN1A coils now

Thats nice... I bought a brand new 5.4 GT and the first thing I did was replace the Eaton with TT 76's and the OEM coils didn't do the job. Even at 1600 engine Hp, the WeaponX coils keep the mixture lit with the OEM ECU. It is obvious you are running an aftermarket ECU with IGN1A's, because they won't work on the OEM ECU... what isn't obvious is what you were using for igniters. To be completely frank... you aren't being forthcoming with your setup since you can't run the WeaponX coils without a high output igniter on an aftermarket ECU.

Last edited:

Ghost

Ghost
Established Member
I’m surprised you had a bad experience with WeaponX. A lot of guys in the LS community swear by them.

Thats nice... I bought a brand new 5.4 GT and the first thing I did was replace the Eaton with TT 76's and the OEM coils didn't do the job. Even at 1600 engine Hp, the WeaponX coils keep the mixture lit with the OEM ECU. It is obvious you are running an aftermarket ECU with IGN1A's, because they won't work on the OEM ECU... what isn't obvious is what you were using for igniters. To be completely frank... you aren't being forthcoming with your setup since you can't run the WeaponX coils without a high output igniter on an aftermarket ECU.

Total side note but I love Ford GTs and would love to see your TT car. Post up some pics for us all to drool over!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I've tried his coils with stock ECU and also with the Holley and the Holley coil drivers with more dwell. Neither worked, and I had odd electrical issues running them with my shift light going on at random times and other weird things. The mod motor platform is not their strong suit. You are the exception with these things, not the rule.

Fastang77

I've tried his coils with stock ECU and also with the Holley and the Holley coil drivers with more dwell. Neither worked, and I had odd electrical issues running them with my shift light going on at random times and other weird things. The mod motor platform is not their strong suit. You are the exception with these things, not the rule.

If you are getting odd electrical issues with your shift light and other randomness, that is a huge red flag for other interference related problems, not simply coils man. I am not seeing how I am an exception when I called up Shelby American to order the coils and confirm they use them on their 1300hp modular engines out of the factory, and they do, using the OEM ECU. If anyone is the exception it is you my friend. High Voltage Coils don't cause shift light issues, and other electrical randomness, unless there is an install problem, or some interference related issue.

I’m surprised you had a bad experience with WeaponX. A lot of guys in the LS community swear by them.
Total side note but I love Ford GTs and would love to see your TT car. Post up some pics for us all to drool over!

My point is to make people aware of the business change, and problems. I called up last week and they wouldn't forward my coils because I made a shipping error. Either way, I find it scetchy. Why open up under the same business name? Anyway, the thread is turning into a pissing match here, which is exactly why I stopped coming online several years ago. I think it's time to close the doors again.

Fastang77

They are junk, plain and simple. Avoid at all costs!

You are right, I conceed, the coils are junk. Shelby American doesn't know what they are doing, and neither does a company who designs ignition systems for the US military and NASA. Thank God I ran across someone who knows more then them on SVTPerformance.com to warn me. Thank you for your amazing input.

Fastang77

I am actually a long standing member... from way back. I just haven't posted in forever. I am sure the mods can validate it. Not sure why my post count is 7. I just haven't posted in years. Being pissed at a company made me want to warn others, and that was it. I said right from the hop this wasn't a pissing contest and I didn't want to talk about coils yet here we are. But if we are going to be honest bigmoose. I left these forums because of the massive ego trips from users like you and badcobra. You people completely ruin the scene, and walk around spending money on cars because your d#cks are small, and you need to feed your ego by pretending to be better then others, talking nonsense, and ripping apart the choices of others who are here simply to share and enjoy. But that is your choice. I wish you all well, but your behaviors are a complete joke for those who are here simply to enjoy and be positive. I read the signs, and the signs are that the forums are still full of big ego's and small d#ck men spending money on cars to further puff up their big heads. Good day. To those who just left the post without dropping their dicks on the floor about coils, I hope it helps them.

LightningLou

Established Member
WeaponX scammed me in 2011 and wouldn’t credit me back after multiple coil failures in my Lightning after only about 6-months. The owner was a total douche to me over the phone and acted like his coils were made of kryptonite and could not have possibly failed so soon... Ended up having to go through my bank to get a refund. Thanks USAA! Went back to stock coils and haven’t had an issue with the same set in almost 9 years making around 600rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread