Better way to clean a K & N filter?

RJCobra

Established Member
Is there any better way, besides spraying on the cleaner and rinsing it? I can never seem to get it clean enough. Still seems pretty dirty after all that. Anybody ever soaked it in a bucket overnight?

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
Never really had a lot of trouble getting mine clean. I do use a little bit of water pressure to push out the dirt - just make sure you rinse from the inside out.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
I don't think it's possible to get it white once it's already been used. The oil has a red/pinkish dye to it so you know where you're applying it. I don't think it's possible to wash that out. What I do is rinse from the inside out with a water hose. When the water coming out of the filter isn't brown anymore and is clear, then I'm done.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
thats why i love my AEM synthetic no oil filter :D best filter ever! never needs replacing, and even better no oil! All you need to do is put some filter cleaner, wash it out really good, and i throw mine in the washing machine and im set.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, cleaning the filter will not bring back that "new" look. Which is why I personally never cleaned my Steeda filter. I preferred to buy a new filter (they aren't budget breaking cost wise) because I showed my car often and wanted the "new" look. Just a personal preference.

RJCobra

Established Member
thats why i love my AEM synthetic no oil filter :D best filter ever! never needs replacing, and even better no oil! All you need to do is put some filter cleaner, wash it out really good, and i throw mine in the washing machine and im set.

Do you have a link for that one? What's it made out of?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
AEM calls their filter a DryFlow. http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=32

What is DRYFLOW?

A revolutionary lifetime air filter media that delivers industry-leading filtration by using a non-woven polyester-based media that does not need filter oil to trap dirt and particulates. DRYFLOW is easier to clean, more durable, will not degrade with servicing and has a higher filtration efficiency than all of the cotton-gauze filters we tested.

Element is cleanable and is guaranteed for the life of your vehicle DRYFLOW air filter will NOT void your vehicle’s warranty. Delivers up to 99.52% filtration efficiency, based on independent SAE J276 JUN93 FINE DUST Air Cleaner Test Code procedures.

PLATIADO

Established Member
Not to steal the thread, but does any one know which of these filters is a correct replacement for the K&N FIPK or what part #.

SlowSVT

Established Member

This appears to be more marketing hogwash. They claim it filters down to 1 micron and does not experience pressure drop across the media. The fiber media in my fuel filter filters down to 10 micron which is 10 times bigger and will be moving 1/100th the volume of fluid the air filter. How can the airflow thru the filter be unaffected as it gets dirty? It will capture and hold dirt particles which then clog that pore and the air will have to find a different path past the media. The finer the particals it can stop means it will trap more and clog quicker. Although I can see what the media looks like from the photo it appears to have the same structure as the factory paper element.

The K&N's breath soo well because the media has very large porous holes that will allow a portion of the dirt past the filter. Hold one up to the light, look through it and you will see what i mean

The bottom line is, there is no free ride here. If you want a filter that is very effective at what it's designed to do it will not flow air very well. If you want a filter that has the lowest pressure drop across the media you will have to give up some filter capacity. You can't have both.

I run a foam filter element which probably traps more dirt then a gause type filter but is a bit more restrictive.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
:lol: Thats why I buy the amsoil air filter, and will buy a new one when needed. I ain't even going to attempt to wash it, not when I payed only 55 buck for it.

RJCobra

Established Member
AEM calls their filter a DryFlow. http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=32

What is DRYFLOW?

A revolutionary lifetime air filter media that delivers industry-leading filtration by using a non-woven polyester-based media that does not need filter oil to trap dirt and particulates. DRYFLOW is easier to clean, more durable, will not degrade with servicing and has a higher filtration efficiency than all of the cotton-gauze filters we tested.

Element is cleanable and is guaranteed for the life of your vehicle DRYFLOW air filter will NOT void your vehicle’s warranty. Delivers up to 99.52% filtration efficiency, based on independent SAE J276 JUN93 FINE DUST Air Cleaner Test Code procedures.

Will these fit the K & N FIPK?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
yeah, bump... and one more question, should i keep that chrome steeda intake shield on over the k&n filter?

***edit*** found that part # for the k&n replacement: RC-5046
Not to steal the thread, but does any one know which of these filters is a correct replacement for the K&N FIPK or what part #.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread