better heat extraction hood

nonliberal

Established Member
Between a 2013 GT hood with the 2 heat extractors on the sides of the hood towards the rear, or the 2013 Shelby gt500 with the big single extractor in the middle. Which do you guys think is more functional?

I have both hoods and care more about function than anything so I'm trying to make a decision between the 2.

To be honest I even considered going custom and having the GT500 extractor added to the GT hood to just have all 3 and not thonk about it again. Lol

Last edited:

beef97

Established Member
how well do your heat extractors work on your '13 hood? I have a '12 and wonder if they could be added to my hood?

nonliberal

Established Member
They seem to work pretty well. Even whenen I park the car I can feel the heat streaming out of them pretty good, I'm sure while the car is moving the siphon effect pulls a good amount out.

I run a TVS blower so the more heat I can pull out the better.

Jabooh1

Established Member
When sitting in traffic I can see the heat rise from the vents in my '13. When taking off it doesn't take long for IAT and Cyl Head temp to drop.

I am saving for the tiger racing hood.

CSG

Established Member
GT500 should work better do to placement of the vent and the "lip" at the leading edge of it. Adding that vent to your hood will help but it will not have the lip which creates a low pressure at the vent. I have an extra 2011 GT500 vent for sale if you want to go that route.

thekanezzi

Established Member
I have the Roush and I'm looking for an upgrade as well. Not to thread Jack, but are there any hoods that can come close to the tiger racing seeing as I'm not a fan of it looks wise.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I don't know much about the aerodynamics and flow of it, but the design of the Trufiber A53KR and the A72KR hoods seem to satisfy your concept pretty well. I would think that the ram air function of them letting cold outside air come in would lower intake temps, plus the 2 vents behind them would vent excess heat as well. Cervinis also makes really good hoods that have ram air and heat extractors too.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The vents in the 2013/2014 factory hoods are not designed to be heat extractors, but more of a heat vent. I'm sure it does extract some heat from the engine bay as you move down the road, but it doesn't create enough low pressure to truly extract like the GT500 hoods do.

With that said, if you really want to allow those vents to breathe a lot better, trim the entire hood carpet under the vents out, and you can watch heat rise from the engine bay like a furnace while sitting at a stop light.

Voltwings

Established Member
With that said, if you really want to allow those vents to breathe a lot better, trim the entire hood carpet under the vents out, and you can watch heat rise from the engine bay like a furnace while sitting at a stop light.

My concern with this is messing up the paint by removing the liner, granted its something i really want to do... Plastidip has a heat rating of like 260* if i remember correctly, so i may just plastidip the bottoms as a "protection" of sorts, and then cut the liner out.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
My concern with this is messing up the paint by removing the liner, granted its something i really want to do... Plastidip has a heat rating of like 260* if i remember correctly, so i may just plastidip the bottoms as a "protection" of sorts, and then cut the liner out.
I didn't remove the entire hood liner. I just cut away the part of the liner that sits directly underneath the hood vents, the part that catches water when it rains.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Here are pictures of what I'm trying to explain.

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

Voltwings

Established Member
I didn't remove the entire hood liner. I just cut away the part of the liner that sits directly underneath the hood vents, the part that catches water when it rains.

Ahh, i wasnt clear on what I was trying to say lol, i meant just messing up the paint on the vents. How long have you had yours removed though?

Users who are viewing this thread