Best way to spend money on cooling

sharke

Established Member
Right now my only cooling mod is the AFCO HE. With the '13 TVS, that is not cutting it anymore. My MPH at the track is absolutely awful even though my car put out good HP on the dyno. So now I want to spend my next mod money on cooling. So far I am considering an upgraded heat exchanger, bigger resevoir, and the 170 degree thermostat. Am I missing any options? Which one will give me the most bang for my buck with the knowledge that I already have the AFCO?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
170 t stat and bigger reservoir are a good idea, that along with my shelby/c&r HE and I have to really beat on my car to suffer any heat soak. Does your HE have the fans, if it does I don't think switching brands will be worth the cost. Another trick is to swap your coolant with some water/coolant boost in the summertime, that will help things run a little cooler as well.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I use the Afco Pro Series heat exchanger (fans), 3x rez and 100 pct water with a bottle of Royal Purple Ice. Nice and coooool.

Kevin P

Established Member
170 t stat and bigger reservoir are a good idea, that along with my shelby/c&r HE and I have to really beat on my car to suffer any heat soak. Does your HE have the fans, if it does I don't think switching brands will be worth the cost. Another trick is to swap your coolant with some water/coolant boost in the summertime, that will help things run a little cooler as well.

I have the same setup, and about the same power, and I have same results. I get no heat soak at all, even if I make back to back passes down the 1/4, with less than 5 minutes between them. Now, cooler air makes the performance better, but on any given night, my car runs very consistently regardless of engine heat, etc.

JimIII@jdm

Right now my only cooling mod is the AFCO HE. With the '13 TVS, that is not cutting it anymore. My MPH at the track is absolutely awful even though my car put out good HP on the dyno. So now I want to spend my next mod money on cooling. So far I am considering an upgraded heat exchanger, bigger resevoir, and the 170 degree thermostat. Am I missing any options? Which one will give me the most bang for my buck with the knowledge that I already have the AFCO?

I would do the 3x Capacity cooling tank The Afco heat exchanger is very efficient, I wouldnt change that for anything else your not going to see much differecne since you already have an aftermarket HE. I would add the 2013 GT500 intercooler core upgrade Its better flowing and helps cool the air after it exits the Supercharger!

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
How big of a change is the 170 t stat? Is anyone still running motorcraft 5-50 with the 170 t stat? I just received my 170 from VMP but am hesitant to install it because the Rieche instructions call for different oil. I live in California and my area stays in the 70s and 80s for most of the year and 50s and 60s in the winter with rare days in the 40s.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
How big of a change is the 170 t stat? Is anyone still running motorcraft 5-50 with the 170 t stat? I just received my 170 from VMP but am hesitant to install it because the Rieche instructions call for different oil. I live in California and my area stays in the 70s and 80s for most of the year and 50s and 60s in the winter with rare days in the 40s.

Easy fix, run 10w30 unless you road course the car then run 10w40. My coolant temps on the stock t stat would be near 200 in summer, now it never goes above 176. The 170 t stat works very well and is a easy mod.

Users who are viewing this thread