Best way to loose 300lbs

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
like the title says... with out any visual signs of cource.

I think i would like to keep the IRS too.

Thanks

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Here you go....Tried and true:

03' COBRA DRAG STRIP WEIGHT REDUCTION
Spare tire...................................-26.4 lbs
Jack/crow bar..............................-6.6 lbs
Trunk pad...................................-6.0 lbs
Mott bar (under diff).....................-7.8 lbs
Front sway bar/brackets................-12.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom.........................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back.............................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest.......................-5.6 lbs
Magnaflow Catted Mid Pipe.............-22.6 lbs
Odyssey battery/bracket................-22.2 lbs (stocker=37.6, Odyssey=15.4)
Front 15x3.5" Bogarts/ET Front........-53.2 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Skinny setup=23.2 each)
Rear 16x10" Bogarts/Hoosier FS.......-26.8 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Rear setup=36.4 each)
UPR K member kit.........................-65.0 lbs
Front Passenger Seat.....................-43.0 lbs

Total......................................-334.2 lbs!!!

Plus, with the above, you'll get excellent weight transfer and traction as side benefits. :beer:

IronTerp

Dwight,

Your list does not include slicks and skinnies. Please ammend.
Oh yes it does Hayden! :beer: They're like an Amercian Express card for Terminator drag racing.....Don't go to the track without em!!!

Front 15x3.5" Bogarts/ET Front skinnies........-53.2 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Skinny setup=23.2)
Rear 16x10" Bogarts/Hoosier Full Slicks.......-26.8 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Rear setup=36.4 each)

Digital

Established Member
like the title says... with out any Visual signs of cource.

I think i would like to keep the IRS too.

Thanks

Rear seat bottom.........................-11.0 lbs - Visual
Rear seat back.............................-25.6 lbs - Visual
Rear seat head rest.......................-5.6 lbs - Visual
Front 15x3.5" Bogarts/ET Front........-53.2 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Skinny setup=23.2 each) - Visual
Rear 16x10" Bogarts/Hoosier FS.......-26.8 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Rear setup=36.4 each) - Visual
Front Passenger Seat.....................-43.0 lbs - Visual

Plus, with the above, you'll get excellent weight transfer and traction as side benefits. :beer:

Actual Savings for that list: 169

It is almost impossible to remove 300 pounds off the car without VISUALLY altering the outside or inside look and you sure as hell arent going to keep the IRS if you want to do it with the stock interior and exterior.

Last edited:

IronTerp

It is almost impossible to remove 300 pounds off the car without VISUALLY altering the outside or inside look and you sure as hell arent going to keep the IRS if you want to do it with the stock interior and exterior.
Well....actually it's not. Removing the front and rear bumper supports will get you about 55 lbs, scraping the sound deadening material will get you another 15 lbs or so, removing the rear seat belts, (a little visual, but I betcha nobody will notice...), will get you another 12 lbs.

And then, (drum roll.........) the coupe de grace: Putting in a new motor with an aluminum block will get you that last 70 lbs!!! Awesome for weight transfer too! :banana:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
so basically, if you go SRA, 15" drag wheels, tubular k member kit, toss the rear seats,passenger seat, everything in the trunk and swaybar, lightweight battery, and aluminum block. You just saved 500lbs, the car weighs in at under 3200, and you have an excellent foundation for racing.

IronTerp

so basically, if you go SRA, 15" drag wheels, tubular k member kit, toss the rear seats,passenger seat, everything in the trunk and swaybar, lightweight battery, and aluminum block. You just saved 500lbs, the car weighs in at under 3200, and you have an excellent foundation for racing.
Yup....With 500 RWHP, a 1.60 60' time, and rowing thru the gears "reasonably" well, you're looking at 10.50-10.70's with an Eaton all day long.......

GodStang

Established Member
What about speakers and amps in the trunk and electronics under the drivers seat and make it manual. Thought both where heavy?

Jroc

Established Member
Well....actually it's not. Removing the front and rear bumper supports will get you about 55 lbs, scraping the sound deadening material will get you another 15 lbs or so, removing the rear seat belts, (a little visual, but I betcha nobody will notice...), will get you another 12 lbs.

And then, (drum roll.........) the coupe de grace: Putting in a new motor with an aluminum block will get you that last 70 lbs!!! Awesome for weight transfer too! :banana:

Also CF hood and body panales. IDK if they make CF body panels with stock dimentions though. I know they make CF widebody panels to fit bigger wheels up from though.
Tiger-Racing

Also Kenny Brown claims that converting to their tubular control-arms and C/O's takes 45 lbs off of the IRS, and I'm pretty sure that thats unsprung weight.

http://www.kennybrown.com/motorsports_csrot
On 99-04 Cobras, we "hard-mount" the IRS carrier to keep it from moving around and literally cut off all the suspension pick-up points and weld them back on to reflect the new geometry I worked out on the computer. Included in the geometry change is a Rear-Steer kit (a KB exclusive) that helps reduce the unwanted effects of rear roll steer, which can be pretty unsettling in the middle of a fast turn. The combination of converting to Tubular Control Arms and Coil-over Shocks takes about another 45 pounds off the rear IRS assembly.

Last edited:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member

Rear seat bottom.........................-11.0 lbs
Rear seat back.............................-25.6 lbs
Rear seat head rest.......................-5.6 lbs
Front 15x3.5" Bogarts/ET Front........-53.2 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Skinny setup=23.2 each)
Rear 16x10" Bogarts/Hoosier FS.......-26.8 lbs (OEM Chrome w/ F1's=49.8 each, Rear setup=36.4 each)
Front Passenger Seat.....................-43.0 lbs

not for a convertible, lol. add weight for the rear seat delete.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
just out of curiosity...is there like an equation or something on how much faster a car really is for every 100 or so pounds that you lose?

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I will never get rid of the IRS. That car handles and rides unbelievable. A solid axle will make the car feel like and old fox body. Why would you want to do that? I got rid of both my notchbacks and bought my 04 Cobra.

SVTSonicCobra

Nasty Sonic Cobra
Established Member
With my rear swap to a solid, QA1 k-member, A-arms, Coilovers, No front sway bar, stock rims and full interior, mine weights 3600 with me in it... And I am getting 1.50 60fts with drag radials...

Users who are viewing this thread