Best way to go about adding OR X/H, and not changing tune?

02_Lightning

Established Member
I want to replace the section with factory cats and retain the stock exhaust. I don't want to change the tune in the car, but know going catless with throw a light. What options do I have?

Recon

Established Member
The light WILL remain on until you get a tune. There is a possibility it'll not run good. I've seen some that run terrible with a non tune cat delete and some than ran just fine. Roll of the dice on that one.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Could also run lean. My advice would be either don't do it or get a tune to make it run correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UFGatorGuy20

UFGatorGuy20
Established Member
I had many conversations with a local, yet nationally reputable tuner specifically about this topic. I was told, and saved emails confirming, that they did not care what kind of mid-pipe was on the car and that they will not modify any emissions related components to compensate for cat deletes. Meaning... you will still have a check engine light even after a tune from them. I was told national EPA regulations have made it too difficult, even though states have local policies. I also asked about running lean without cats and no tune, and was told it was simply not true. I found feedback on other sites that you would actually run rich because the car will dump more fuel to "cool the cats that are no longer there."

Having said all that... forums are the place to discuss things like this so I'd like to hear feedback from others.

RBB

Established Member
It's no big deal, just swap the pipe out, no tune needed. If you can't stand having the light on, then get it turned off. There are still plenty of reputable tuners out there who will do this for you.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Just know, that if you get a tune intended for off road use, its INTENDED for off road use. Liability for bypassing emissions equipment for on road use is acknowledged to be on the end user (you). If you trailer to a track and run without cats, thats perfectly legal... Some make their cars track ready and drive to the track.

There are plenty of areas around the country that do not have emissions laws. Here in Arizona, only Phoenix metro and Tucson metro have emissions laws. Many counties in Texas also do not have emissions laws. Hell, when I lived in California, there are certain counties and even zip codes in some counties that only require 1 smog check when 1st registering the vehicle in your name or upon sale to a new owner.

I believe there are certain Ford tuners out there that have developed a relationship with the factory, and as such cannot knowingly offer tunes that bypass federal emissions compliance. Doing so could risk that relationship. At one time, that wasnt the case for them but it appears so now.

There are other tuners out there that specialize in cars used for off road use or cars that are in non emission counties.

As for running an off road mid pipe with the factory tune, it will work just fine. The upstream A/F sensors do not know if there are cats installed or not. The rear o2s will tell the ECU that there is an efficiency issue. It shouldnt effect the operation of the engine or fuel trims. Monitoring with a married Flash tuner or dedicated set of A/F gauges would be ideal.

02_Lightning

Established Member
The goal of this was purely to get the right sound out of the car - no performance increases necessary. I will not modify the factory tune in any form as my goal is solely sound. With all this said, there are zero ways to go catless and keep the check engine light of???? I swear that this was discussed a while ago, but I can't seem to find where I saw that. I have no concern with government regulations, so i am free to do this. I just want the cel off. No way to accomplish this?

Pmbrown

Established Member
This may be a dumb question, but how do you even get a tune? Do you need some type of Engine Management or Access Port or anything? Or can it be tuned off the stock ecu with no hardware needed?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
New cars ECU may be too sensitive to MILs. You can also get a tune from Lund that is the stock tune with just the catless codes turned off in tune.
Still I've done Lunds 93 street tune and it disabled clutch protection and all around was a much better driving experience.
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I'm running a Lethal ORX with a Lund tune. The clutch protection thing is that something I have to mention to Lund so they can remove it from the tune or do they just do it automatically when you get a tune from them?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It is something I would confirm they will do, but think that's something they do automatically now I believe.
-J

mavisky

Established Member
So no way around it without a tune that disables the rear o2's? VMP has said that they will no longer tweak the tune for an offroad x-pipe so I'm just stuck with a light on my dash? I mean I can live with that, but if MIL adapters won't do it I'll be fine for the events when I run the cat delete.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Some cars get the light and some don't. I have a recent VMP tune with an off road set up and have never got a check engine light. Roll the dice and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running a OFR X pipe on my factory tune, I just run 02 sensors foulers on the rear 02 sensors. No issues at all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170829-173741.png
    Screenshot_20170829-173741.png
    785.8 KB · Views: 175

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice Steve, always wondered if those helped and worked as advertised.
Need some more pics of that sweet silver steed :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread