Best way to get rid of those miniscule scratches left over from car washes?

j0hn

Established Member
Search doesn't seem to be working, at all.. =/

Anyways, I've always noticed that my L has those tiny little scratches that I can only assume are left over from a car wash. I hand wash it, always, so I'm also assuming the previous owner took it to a car wash frequently.

I tried waxing and a buffing wheel to see if that would take them away, but it didn't. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
Polish...and a buffing wheel....

Wax is wax, polish is polish...polish first, then wax

96grimreaper

Established Member
You will have to use a fine cut polish to remove tiny little scratches. After, use a nice cleaner wax will make the paint look like a mirror.

Many ppl say "polish" but there are hundreds of polishes and most of them are a total waste of money IMO. The HIDE imperfections, and make the paint shiny until it is washed, then the polish is gone. Yea, you can wax over the polish but its a waste of time. Ive been detailing for years and rarely use polishes except to remove scratches. Just trying to throw in my 2 cents.

j0hn

Established Member
I bought all of the above, and all of the applicators. Thanks a lot for all of the help guys.

My arms are going to be dead tomorrow.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Two words bro: Chris Nelson.

Here's what Chris did for me and my paint....

Before...
PPLeftfenderbefore2.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After...
PPLeftFenderafter1.jpg

And for some ugly oxidation pics....

Before and after...
smallRightsideangle1.jpg
smallRightsideangle4.jpg

Stewart

PS - The spider swirls shown in the top pictures of this post were hit very quickly for about 10 minutes or so. I went back and completed the job later, making the while fender look as smooth as black glass.

Last edited:

j0hn

Established Member
@ Stewart:

WOW. The swirls on mine aren't that bad, but that would be the look I'm trying to achieve.

Looks good.

Banned
I have seen some pretty half-ass car washing being done in driveways. I'm sure it doesn't help the paint too much. A Sheepskin mit is the way to go. Use warm water with a quality soap. Take the time to fill up a fresh water rinse bucket and rinse the fricken mit, don't keep sticken it the dirty water.

There are different stages of Machine polish for swirls. I use Griots Garage products. When I bought my 94 SHO last year I spent 2 days polishing before waxing it. This month I will be using a polish with a little more grit in it to remove more of them. What I used last year was to mild. It looks awesome now, it could look a little better. With winter coming it's always good preventive maintenance.

j0hn

Established Member
I'm in mid-polish phase right now. I can already tell a difference.

Who is Chris Nelson, and how do I get a hold of him?

Users who are viewing this thread