Best way to get more hp out of my newly acquired 01 lighting with 13000 miles

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I had a GT500 that had copious mods and dynoed out at 770 at the rear wheels. So I know a little bit about modifying a vehicle but not so much the lightning. What are the basic first mods I can do to increase horsepower but still keep the vehicle safe within its limits

I want to keep the stock air box so pulleys and a safe conservative tune and where will I go in hp and Torque ?

I drove my 07 GT 500 with Toyo R888’s for 3 years before replacing them so I drive all my vehicles extremely carefully

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
6# lower, catback, long tubes if the budget/mechanical skills allow/tune. I would say a throttle body, elbow, etc., but if you are set on keeping the stock air box I’m not sure you’d see big gains for the money at this point.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
6# lower, bigger mass air, tune, TR6 spark plugs and a catback if you want some sound. Throttle bodies/plenums don't make any real noticeable power.
A single blade throttle body though will help on acceleration.

Intakes are a giant waste of money just like on cobras. Purely aesthetic. I made north of 420 at the wheel on my Lightning and 600 at the wheel with my terminator swapped Mach1, both with a stock intake tube.

Long tubes aren't necessary at all as the stock manifolds are good till about 500. I did them because of the sound they produce, I bought them dirt cheap and because I'm mechanically inclined and didn't have to pay anyone to install them.

Valve bodies are always nice as they greatly improve the shifting of the truck. Google Punisher valve bodies, thats who I got mine from.

Everything past this just be sure you want to take it further and further.

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
6# lower, bigger mass air, tune, TR6 spark plugs and a catback if you want some sound. Throttle bodies/plenums don't make any real noticeable power.
A single blade throttle body though will help on acceleration.

Intakes are a giant waste of money just like on cobras. Purely aesthetic. I made north of 420 at the wheel on my Lightning and 600 at the wheel with my terminator swapped Mach1, both with a stock intake tube.

Long tubes aren't necessary at all as the stock manifolds are good till about 500. I did them because of the sound they produce, I bought them dirt cheap and because I'm mechanically inclined and didn't have to pay anyone to install them.

Valve bodies are always nice as they greatly improve the shifting of the truck. Google Punisher valve bodies, thats who I got mine from.

Everything past this just be sure you want to take it further and further.
I appreciate the good news thank you so much.

I know the internals of the lightning truck are not built their OEM from my understanding. Has anyone taken a 5.4GT 500 block and put it in the lightning and hooked all the accessory‘s to it from the lighting Back?

slow98cobra

Established Member
If you are going to consider pulling the motor, does a new gen 3 F150 coyote have a conversion kit? Those are straight nasty with a Whipple.

utlong31

Established Member
I think it would be a shame to mess up a low mileage clean Lightning like this. You paid I pretty hefty price for it and once you start modding it that will change everything. If this is what you want I would have kept the mustang or bought a Lightning that was already modded. That’s just my opinion from a guy that has a full bolt on lightning. Clean and low mileage trucks are getting very hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
I think it would be a shame to mess up a low mileage clean Lightning like this. You paid I pretty hefty price for it and once you start modding it that will change everything. If this is what you want I would have kept the mustang or bought a Lightning that was already modded. That’s just my opinion from a guy that has a full bolt on lightning. Clean and low mileage trucks are getting very hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

100% correct. I don’t plan to really mod this truck much, I think the horsepower gains are minimal compared with the Shelby GT 500 07 model which is what I had. The only difference is the new plan to drive this on a daily basis and I know that the Value will slowly drop

The question about the GT 500 block which is more out of curiosity than anything else

robvas

Established Member
As nice as the original powertrain would be, a super clean swap is just as nice IMO

shelbygt500_897hp

Established Member
Ya but if I did that, I eliminate a pristine truck with exceptional low miles ( for now )

I plan to take the drop spindle that’s on the truck now and replace it with OEM as well as the rear leaf springs.

I’ve ordered a Hotchkiss lowering kit that will actually raise the truck in front slightly and a inch or 2 in the rear

4a7191a

Established Member
Lol to the coyote swap...
But for sure the punisher valve body is imo the best mod the truck can get for the price. Makes a world of difference.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With the mods @FleeMan recommended, you'll have an extremely reliable setup going forwards. The extra 50+HP or so will guaranteed put a bigger smile on your face. I still remember when I did similar basic mods on my old '03 Cobra (with 2.90 upper vs. 4lb. or 6lb. lower) that made 457whp (72whp increase) and 480wtq. Safe tune. I literally did not want to park my Cobra on the way back from the tune. The 72whp difference was so noticeable. A Jokerz blower port might be the icing on the (safe setup) cake.

Users who are viewing this thread