Best way to align alternator?

cobra-k

Established Member
So today I managed to align the alt pully with the crank pully by simply shimming the bracket, and now my belt rides better on the lower idler/crank, but I'm still having issues with the top 2 idlers the belt just doesn't want to come in and it's still riding wayy to close to the motor.. Any ideas ppl? It's getting pretty frustrating.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
"Jefe" posted two good and interesting links (post #17). I got under my car this weekend and noticed my alt was a bit mis-aligned as well just to the naked eye. I bought my car from a second owner so I don't have any of my stock alternator parts that I am aware of? so I am not sure what are the correct parts? I will try this 16mm shim and maybe aligning the alt if the weather holds up this week and possibly order the Dayco alignment tool.

This craps is getting really frustrating.

cobra-k

Established Member
This might sound a bit silly to some but I'm wondering... Well I went and played some more today with the alignment, I got the alt lined up as best as I possibly could by eye balling and now the belt rides right in the middle of my lower idler. Progress was made, before it was walking off the back before I started messing around. But I'm still having the issue on the top idler pullies there is a tiny fraction of the belt still walking off the back. Now...
1. My current belt is definitely too small my tensioner is nearly notched out and it was a nightmare getting the belt on it was sooo tight. Is it possible that cause the belt is so tight it's sucking to the back of the pullies?
2. Or my tensioner is effed and it's flexing causing it to walk? How would I diagnose a bad tensioner?
I don't think messing with the alt alignment will fix the upper issues as it's already spinning perfectly on the lower idler.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I talked to Rick and Sandy at METCO a week or so ago and they told me if we run too tight of a belt it will definitely cause an issue with the walk as well as possibly cause bearing failures due to the excess stress. I would've thought a tight belt would keep them in the groove at least? I can see causing harm to the bearings though.

I am stumped on your upper issues cause their is nothing adjustable in that area everything is fixed unless you have a bad idler or bouncy tensioner? You said you have yours riding in the middle of the lower idler, which is weird in my case, cause mine is riding at the very back edge of my lower DB idler but yet mine rides forward to the edge of the crank and strips one entire Rib.

I might have to breakdown and get this laser alignment tool once I start messing with the alternator spacing this weekend?

cobra-k

Established Member
I'll report back once my correct belt size comes in. I'm thinking it has to be the issue (or I'm just hoping it's the issue) my tensioner isn't super bouncy and the tensioner was at 90% when I had the belt on nor are the idlers shot they are Brand new.
It's weird that you're belt is riding forward on the crank but backwards on the idler.. I just strictly had issues with it walking towards the motor. It was riding slightly off the lip of the lower idler (also my upper idlers) so what I did was just loosened the alt didn't have to take it out or anything. Loosened the alt bracket and ended up throwing 3 washers in between the lower part of the bracket. After I tightened everything back up you could see by eye that the alt was looking better. Put the belt on started it up and boom it was riding right centre in the lower idler.
It's kinda strange why you're having the belt walk forward on the crank and backwards on the idler. I'd throw some washers in that spot and go from there.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I am definitely going to see what can be done about the alt. alignment once I get a chance, its weird how these belt issues come in so many different ways? Keep us posted bud.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I just ordered the alignment tool, I actually went to a car show yesterday with my one stripped rib, like I said ironically it runs great on 6 ribs :shrug: watching football all day today didn't feel like messing with the car. Iam going to try and check it tomorrow? post up my results when I get it done.

cobra-k

Established Member
So a little update... Belt came in I believe it's the correct size. It wasn't a huge fight to get on and seems to hold the tensioner 30-50%. Still no luck with upper pullies, belt seems to want to ride right on the lip of both upper pullies. As for the lower it rides right centre still... I don't know what to do anymore. I can't adjust the alt anymore as it'll throw the belt alignment off the lower.

cobra-k

Established Member
Heres some pictures maybe someone might have a better idea of my issue.

GuyWs5.jpg

ix9y0M.jpg

foDZmZ.jpg

aGbNgb.jpg

Anyone have an idea why its off on the top and not on bottom?!

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Mine looks exactly like yours except none of mine look centered all ride at the rear edge but walk forward towards the radiator? Are you not using a snub/idler at the top? It shouldn't make much of a difference just helps grip the blower pully better. Just to clarify yours is jumping of the blower pulley?

I actually took mine apart this weekend and discovered I was missing the top alternator bracket bolt. I thought for sure I found the problem, bought new bolts replaced with a more affordable DAYCO belt (green belt on standby) just for test purposes and the problem still exist?

Took it apart again, decided to shim the bottom left alternator bolt, it looked like it actually straightened the alt by aligning a bit forward, cranked the car and the belt jumped on the forward edge of the crank at idle? I am stumped? I removed the shim and it remains centered on the crank until I blip the throttle to 4xxx rpm then it moves forward?

I feel your pain in this situation, feel hopless but hopefully my alignment tool comes in this weekend and I have a better idea of what is causing this issue?

ttk53

Established Member
what blower pulley do you have?

What blower do you have?

Looks like blower pulley is pressed on too far.

cobra-k

Established Member
I'm not using a snub idler cause I figured it was not needed I use a 3.5" upper pulley it's on a 2.6 Kenne bell. I wouldn't think that it would be pressed on to far as it bottoms out on the back of the shaft... Is that a possibility of it even pressed in too far? As for where the jumping was occuring I'm still unsure if it was the crank or the blower.

I shimmed the lower part of the bracket almost 1/2 inch I used 3 washers. And that put the belt centre on the lower idler. I did also Rev the car up and watched for walk, I did not see any walking occuring. But I still find it very odd that the top part is still riding on the back lip of those idlers. And I am stumped.

Stage, I don't know why you're belt is walking forward that would mean that you're alignment is To far forward you would need to find a way to push you're alt inwards and see how that works for you. Can you post some pictures? Definitely let me know how things go for you once you get that laser in!

I haven't taken the car out at all but I think I'm going to and see what happens.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I am running a 3.75 upper pulley on a 2.6H KB. I understand why your not using the snub. Mine and your setup are jumping on totally opposite areas? Yours is jumping rearwards on the upper pulley and mine is jumping forward on the crank pulley?

What's really weird is that my belt rides at the very rear edge of the idlers but walks forward? Your are centered and go backwards?

The only other way I would be able to push my alt back is to grind the ears down a bit? I read somewhere on here that someone had done that to fix an issue with belt walk? But where will my belt ride? Its already at the rear edge of the idlers?

I don't know how to post pics on here? Going to try and get a photobucket account and see what I can post? Never done it that way either?
Thanks for the info bud hopefully we can get this figured out?

cobra-k

Established Member
Yeah my belt isn't jumping forward it was jumping backwards. I could tell by the rear of the belt being chewed up. I haven't drove it since iv tinkered around cause the belt is still riding on the rear of the upper idlers. Another thing I checked was my crank pully, got under with a hex bit and a breaker bar just to see if maybe the crank bolt was loose cause that would cause it to be all outta wack too, in my case it was tight. So I'm back to being out of ideas right now.

As for you're alt situation have you tried tightening all the bolts as tight as you can? It might suck it in a little more. I know what you're saying tho if it's riding on the rear lip already pushing it in further will likely make it worse. I would hold off on the grinding until you absolutely know that it's the issue cause if you go ahead with it, it might cause more issues than you have now. How is you're belt riding on the bottom idler? Cause if it's on the rear of it (like my case) you would need to bring the alt forward.

As for picture posting just google "how to post pictures on svt performance" there's a thread there that explains in detail. It's quite simple.

We'll figure it out...

Stage 4.6

Established Member
This really has me frustrated, I am out of ideas, I have read just about every thread i can find on this plus read my METCO instructions up and down, I have checked every spacer and replaced every idler, tensioner and even replaced the upper snub idler to make sure everything matches METCOS other parts.

The only thing I have not replaced is the lower 4lb crank pulley. I cant verify if that lower is a METCO piece even though it looks exactly like every other 4lb lower I've seen. I am debating on buying a whole new lower kit, but just cant justify spending almost $500 bucks for something I have and have bought piece by piece. The previous owner had the 4lb lower installed but did not have the supporting brackets which is why I thought this was the root cause of my belt issue, Ive replaced with all necessary hard ware and still have the belt issue?

I read somewhere that someone said to move the lower idler to the top hole on the idler plate, according to the METCO instructions the lower hole on the idler plate or "Y" bracket is for 2 & 4lb crank pulley the upper hole is for 6-8 and 10lb crank pulley. can anyone verify doing this and working?

Last edited:

Vr4me

Senior Lurker
Established Member
Get the belt alignment tool and take a look at this video. Ironically the car in the demo video is a Cobra.

Gates Using The LaserAlignment Tool:
https://youtu.be/Xv5JfVyTqhc

The root of my problem was caused by angular misalignment of the alternator. I had to add washers behind the alternator to push it out and to correct the angular issue. I also had to add washers behind the tensioner.

Tips:
- You will not get it perfect by eyeballing it
- Don't assume something is right because its stock
- You might want to make sure the pulley isn't pressed onto the blower too far. I had that problem once upon a time.
- Verify the tensioner doesn't have excessive play. My fancy aftermarket pulley is a paper weight now.
- Put the idler in the upper hole on the Metco bracket. No real negatives to having more belt wrap.
- Make sure you don't have play in the idlers. If you do replace the bearing. If the bearing doesn't fit tight you will need to replace the idler.
- Nothing wrong with a tight belt but if its tight and not aligned perfect you will have problems

All of the tricks online will help mask the problem. I tried all of them and replaced every part single part in the process. I almost sold everything to go with a turbo setup. Its not that hard to figure out but you will need the laser to do it right. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

cobra-k

Established Member
When you had the issue with the blower pulley being pressed in too far did it cause damage to the shaft or did you simply just loosen it?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
"Vr4Me" thanks for the info that's a pretty informative vid, that alignment tool is a little different then the DAYCO tool.

I didn't even mess with my car this weekend just frustrated with it! if the weather holds up this weekend ill move the lower idler to the top hole and re-check all idlers although they are all new.

I kind of remember one of them fitting a bit loose? but once the allen screw was tightened it was fine ill check the distance on the shaft on my alternator as well although my situation is opposite of cobra-k belt strip.

Users who are viewing this thread