Best way to accept credit cards? catch: must be mobile...

jf4boogie

Established Member
I'm trying to research the best (and when I say best I mean easiest, safest, cheapest) to accept credit card payments while being mobile.

Basically, as long as its fast, safe, and a reasonable expense we can probably work with it.

Suggestions from those with experience??

Thanks fellas :beer:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my buddy runs a small bike shop and he has it set up where he can do CC transactions on his PHONE! no equipment to buy. when i was shopping for a CC machine they had wireless versions and they were $$.

txyaloo

Established Member
There are quite a few scanners that plug into the bottom of iPhones. The Apple stores use these for checkout. I know Engadget reviewed one 3-4 days ago.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As Txyaloo said, there are quite a few available that plug into the bottom of the phone. Here is just one of those. .. https://squareup.com/

Just do a Google search on 'mobile phone credit card scanner'. Lots of links.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Interesting. Thanks for the tips fellas.

I'm still loving my droid x, but if this is something exclusive to the iphone I may have to jump ship.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
wow that shits nuts! nothign for blackberry?

my buddy has a samsung phone iirc and not an android one. so im sure there special aps for the most popular types of phones. with his, iirc, he takes a pic of the card and the software does the rest.

txyaloo

Established Member
my buddy has a samsung phone iirc and not an android one. so im sure there special aps for the most popular types of phones. with his, iirc, he takes a pic of the card and the software does the rest.

It'd make me weary having someone take a picture of my card, but the other hardware could easily skim and keep the credit card numbers.

Here are some of the iPhone options:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Credit-Card-Solution-iPhone/dp/B0042FZ1LC]Amazon.com: Complete Credit Card Solution for iPhone 3G/3GS: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

Square Ends 15¢ Fee for Swiping Credit Cards | It's All Tech

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Interesting. Thanks for the tips fellas.

I'm still loving my droid x, but if this is something exclusive to the iphone I may have to jump ship.

It works on Android as well. I have one. I have a friend that works at Square. The scanner plugs into your headphone jack and transfers the info that way. Coupled with the app you download you can take credit card transactions, take a picture of the customer and email them the receipt. Or you can send it to them via txt message. Square now charges 2.75% per transaction and a little more if you have to manually enter the card.

Almost forgot..The scanner is free.

Last edited:

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
We have a portable credit card machine. You charge it up like a cell phone the night before and take it where ever you need to.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Square is a fantastic option, like others have mentioned already. I got one just to see how it works. They send you a free one in the mail and you can have the money directly deposited into a bank account of your choosing. You can automatically send them an email or text with the receipt. They obviously charge a small fee for each transaction, but you don't have to pay a subscription fee or buy any expensive equipment.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Question for those who use a scanner on their phone. Is there a minimum amount you must charge each month?

jf4boogie

Established Member
We have a portable credit card machine. You charge it up like a cell phone the night before and take it where ever you need to.

Interesting as well.

Any more info? Who makes it? Costs involved?

I think potential customers would be a little less concerned if we had a dedicated cc machine instead of using phones as a main method.

5.0 Ford Power

*derp*
Established Member
07nnzpaxerw8org

SpectorV

Established Member
make sure what ever route you go its certified to do so... you would be amazed at the amount of certifications software/hardware have to go through to allow them to take CC payments... I wrote a credit card module for our software and we ended up not using it due to the tons of money its costs to become certified and the amt of crap it takes lol.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
make sure what ever route you go its certified to do so... you would be amazed at the amount of certifications software/hardware have to go through to allow them to take CC payments... I wrote a credit card module for our software and we ended up not using it due to the tons of money its costs to become certified and the amt of crap it takes lol.

This is good advice.

My wife is currently looking into the phone reader system for her retail store when she attends craft shows and such. She uses a wireless base at her store, cost her a good amount. (not sure how much, just remember her complaining about the security certificates and cost of the hardware) However, she is not home to give her opinion on the matter. :shrug:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Jf4Boogie. We have a company we deal thru the bank with. Send me a pm if you need their toll free number to ask what they have and would suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread