best tuner in kc OR stl?

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
im equally in the middle of st. louis or kansas city. hell, even springfield isnt much further away. so, if there are any local guys out there, who have experience with anyone in these areas, who would you use? i havent exactly heard the best things about some of the stl tuners, but i havent heard ANYthing about the tuners in springfield and kc...so, who would you use?

its not a heavily modded car, just gonna put a ported blower and fuel/maf upgrades on, along with basic bolt ons. but id like to make about 500rwhp, which shouldnt be a stretch even with the few mods i have. and i want someone good to do it, without doing a remote tune, because id like to have it dyno'ed at the same time.

thanks for your help, in advance fellas

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
Ben Craven, at Craven Performance is a good tuner out of St.Louis. HE did my Cobra 2 years ago, and did an awesome job. The car was tuned in December in St.Louis, then I moved to Houston 2 years ago, and it still makes just as much power as it did the day it was done. Mine is a Stage 4 ported, 2.8 upper, intake, maf, catback only car and made 487 on 93, then gave me a 110/93 mix tune that did 501.

pickup_man06

Established Member
sweet man, thats pretty much the exact setup ill have, plus an 8# lower and a full 2.5" x piped o/r system.
those are really good numbers with your setup too, bet its a blast!
whats he charge per hour? and what did he set the A/F at?

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
sweet man, thats pretty much the exact setup ill have, plus an 8# lower and a full 2.5" x piped o/r system.
those are really good numbers with your setup too, bet its a blast!
whats he charge per hour? and what did he set the A/F at?

Hmm not sure whathe charges now, when he tuned mine he was working for a shop, but now he own's his own shop. Air fuel was in the 11.5-.7 range iirc (I don't have a afr gauge), and that is on 100% stock fuel system.

pickup_man06

Established Member
thats about where id like it to be, honestly. and i found out its about 125 an hour, which isnt too bad either!

Rambro

Established Member
I hear a lot of positive things about Craven but he did a not so great tune on my buddies whipple cobra. He did a couple extra things to his car without telling him, like a 100$ spark plug change. I know that's not really a huge deal but I think he should have called and told him. The car had some driveabillity issues when my buddy got it back as well and Ben wouldn't return my buddies calls.The car also melted a plug at the track. The guy you should really take it to is Bob Monks (Bobcat) of STL mustangs in High Ridge, MO. I've not heard one negative thing about his shop and people rave about his tuning. You won't get a dyno sheet though as I hear he street tunes.

pickup_man06

Established Member
well street tuning is better, the car would get better air flow and is tuned for the real world conditions. i may hafta look him up as well. i like having choices honestly, then i can narrow down who i want. just really wanting to hear the opinions of people who have actually used them.

and if someone put $100 worth of plugs in my car and didnt ask/tell me, then expected me to pay for it, you can bet it would be their dime. thats disrespectful. all ya gotta do is ask!
and i do want good driveability, as its a street car! i might hit the track twice a year? its just too expensive to drive down and back in a hopped up car, and pay to race for a couple hours at a crowded track. and its the only one within 2-300 miles at least. so good street manners are a must, which is why i favor street tuning

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Personally, I'd rather be tuned on a dyno properly to get the most out of my setup along with being tuned for driveability. My car has been tuned for two different setups on a dyno with 0 driveability issues.

I go to Matt Cruise at Mustang Muscle in High Ridge, MO. I have a few buddies that use him as well.

quick95gt

Established Member
Bob monks is the only person I trust in Stl. He's located in desloge mo near mineral area college. He has more experience with modular mustangs than anyone in missouri.

pickup_man06

Established Member
awesome, thanks fellas! at least now i have some choices, and no one has really told me anything terrible. although no one from the springfield or kc areas has said anything, i was probably looking towards stl anyways. too bad no one around here does any tuning. or anything reputable i should say.

pickup_man06

Established Member
is there any way i can get ahold of bobcat? i dont really wanna join another form JUST to contact him. a phone number would be great, or a email would be second best. i found him on here, but with 4 posts since 2007, im gonna say he doesnt get on here much!

STREETREBEL

Established Member
Justunes. KCMO... ( Justin ).
Came down to Springfield from KC to street tune my car.
Did a great job! I have, KB, Accufab, ect,ect.
Google him. You'll find lots of people use him for tunes.
You can find him on the SCT web site.

Grey03Lightning

Snail Power
Established Member
Personally, I'd rather be tuned on a dyno properly to get the most out of my setup along with being tuned for driveability. My car has been tuned for two different setups on a dyno with 0 driveability issues.

I go to Matt Cruise at Mustang Muscle in High Ridge, MO. I have a few buddies that use him as well.

Take this mans advise

Bob monks is the only person I trust in Stl. He's located in desloge mo near mineral area college. He has more experience with modular mustangs than anyone in missouri.

And do not take this mans advise

I have been to both and Matt Cruise is the only option in the St. Louis area.

halstead9009

there is a guy who does custom dyno tunes in springfield. and from what ive heard he knows his shit. I haven't been to him yet im still planning my build. but that's where ill be going. I called and spoke with him he seems legit. plus stl is 3 hours an kc is 5 from me. the guys name is wes and his shop is called sho me speed. phone num is 417-724-1320 good luck.

and let me know who you end up ging with if you don't mind

Rambro

Established Member
Take this mans advise

And do not take this mans advise

I have been to both and Matt Cruise is the only option in the St. Louis area.

I don't know if I would take your advice either. A buddy of mine took his two valve to mustang muscle for instillation of cams. The car left the shop on a flatbed with bent valves and damaged pistons. What bad work do you know of that came from bobcat. Not trying to be a wise ass as I'm looking for a shop to tune my car in the future. I have friends that for sure weren't happy with Craven and mustang muscle so I had ruled them out. I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with Bobcat.

4601S/C

Established Member
I'm in the STL area, and when I'm ready to get my car tuned I'll be going with bobcat. Heard nothing but good things about him. Lots of people like to post negative experiences, but it says something when people go out of their way to post as much positive feedback as I've seen for bobcat!

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I don't know if I would take your advice either. A buddy of mine took his two valve to mustang muscle for instillation of cams. The car left the shop on a flatbed with bent valves and damaged pistons. What bad work do you know of that came from bobcat. Not trying to be a wise ass as I'm looking for a shop to tune my car in the future. I have friends that for sure weren't happy with Craven and mustang muscle so I had ruled them out. I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with Bobcat.

The first thing to point out here is that the OP is not looking for work to be done on his car he is looking for a tuner. The second thing is that I'm not here to bash on anyone but I do know of a friend who had transmission issues with bobcat. The supposedly good transmission he purchased was no good. In any case I'm not hear to compare bad shop experiences either...bobcat doesn't have a dyno plain and simple. This is a vital tool to tuning and getting the most out of your combo by seeing true results unless you don't care to get the most out of your tuning money. Matt Cruise at Mustang Muscle will tune for street driveability AND power. Everyone's opinion on this is going to vary so go with who you trust. You'll never find a company with a perfect record...there will always be bad experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread