Best Tires for Everyday

backinastang

Established Member
I recently bought some Mich Super Sports for my GT500. I read and pondered for hours at Discount Tire before paying more for the stock sizing. I think I made the right choice. I could have gone 295 in the back and 275 in the front but figure ford would have gone larger in the 13 if it was a performance boost.

I recently got on it hard in second and did not spin. The car pulled hard to 6k where I shifted. First gear is still tough but these tires are hands done better than the GY's than came stock.

On another note. Does anyone else think 20's look to big for this car? I really want to get a 19 for the rear. After hearing that my tire warranty is cut in 1/2 b/c of the staggered fit, I want to go with a 19 all the way around.
The Good years were gone by 10k miles. I'm hoping I can get 20k out of these. $1850 a year on tires is a kick in the pants.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have 19's with Michelin ps2's. I don't think they make them anymore but I really like them for all around driving. I also have a staggered fitment and my car isn't my DD so it doesn't bother me. Not many people running equal sizes in these cars unless they are tracking it with wide tires on all 4 corners

The issue is if you want equal widths you have to choose. Smaller width or more $. You could run a 275 on all 4 corners for a cheaper price then 295's all around but won't hold as much power. I run staggered for that reason, save money on the front tired and get more grip out of the rear

In your case can't have your cake and eat it too

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
Are you asking or telling? :)

I think you made the right choice in the PSS for everyday assuming you don't winter drive your Shelby.

I switched to the PSS last summer and they've been great. Better than the stock GYs both in warm weather bite (as you've noted) but also much, much better in the wet.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Sounds like your pretty happy with those tires. For a DD car I still don't think anything is better than the continental dw or dws depending on if the car will see a light snow ever. I think bigger tires look better but don't hook as good. I run my 19s in winter and they do look better, 18s in summer but that's what gets traction, having more sidewall.

backinastang

Established Member
Car and Driver recently had a test and these won. They ran the top 10 and the Pilot SS won over all. They were tested on a 335 BMW with 225 or 245/18s. All of them did well.

I did notice an improvement over the GY in winter and wet driving. If these don't last I might go with the PSS A/S that rated at 45K miles. Then again, I might get another set of rims for the back so I can run a drag radial to beat on. I don't know. Just wanted to share how much I like these tires and the added traction. I think the older guys that posted to stick with the stock widths were right.

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Michelin PSS FTW!

I put mine one last summer and boy they made a big difference when you get on the gas starting at lower speeds. No more fish tailing trying to find traction. Also felt alot more confident in the rain

FWIW, I plan on running 18x10.5" all around when I finish my track build. Still in the air on tires but having done ALOT of research on tirerack if I want anything R-compund in the 315/35/18 range (and have high enough load capacity for our heavy cars) it's either Toyo R888 or Kumho Ecsta V710 (leaning towards the Toyos maybe shaved)

Sorry to take the post off course a little....

IA Shelby

Established Member
Michelin PSS FTW!

I put mine one last summer and boy they made a big difference when you get on the gas starting at lower speeds. No more fish tailing trying to find traction. Also felt alot more confident in the rain

FWIW, I plan on running 18x10.5" all around when I finish my track build. Still in the air on tires but having done ALOT of research on tirerack if I want anything R-compund in the 315/35/18 range (and have high enough load capacity for our heavy cars) it's either Toyo R888 or Kumho Ecsta V710 (leaning towards the Toyos maybe shaved)

Sorry to take the post off course a little....

Are you installing the Griggs 315 kit? Otherwise that is going to be tough to run 10.5 up front.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I run 10" wheels up front with plenty of room. With the right offset, a 10.5 should fit fine. I used to run 18x10's with 295's, now I'm running 20x10's all around with no issues at all.

scoutdriver

Texas Techsan
Established Member
I'm going to check out the Michelins. My F1s are already pretty worn with only 3200 miles on the car. Not sure if they'll pass inspection this June.

Kenneth

Established Member
Thinking about trying the Falken FK452's for the fronts on my car pretty soon.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Size I'm looking at are 275/40/19

Users who are viewing this thread