Best sparkplug and gap for 22 lbs boost on a 2003 Cobra w Kenne bell 2.8

Banshee06

Established Member
What are your recommendations for brand a heat range of spark plug for a 2003 cobra with 22lbs of boost with methanol injection.
And the gap size too.
Thanks for info.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
NGK TR6’s gapped between .26-.28 are the go to for our cars. Plenty of threads on which plugs to run.

Ultimately I’d ask my tuner and go with what they recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Banshee06

Established Member
My installation guide that came with my Kenne Bell 2.8 LC super charger says one cold range lower denso iridium it20.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I use to run the br7ef out of box gap, it's probably the most shrouded. But I switched to TR6 .026~.028 for several years now. I think it runs slightly stronger, idles slightly better on the TR6 and I've stuck with them for 6 years. 22psi on E85

Most will not run iridium high boost, too exposed and too fragile looking of a tip has been the warning. My car runs and idles so good on the $2 TR6 I see no need to change. Especially changing plugs once a year. $18 isn't too bad

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Ideally, you want to run the biggest gap possible without spark blow out.

I have tr6 gapped at .028 on 21lbs and e85. I was remote tuned this way, and all my data logs looked good.

There isn't a straight up answer for this, only a ball park range. Every car is different when it comes to type of plugs and gap. On the cobras that is.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
This pic was back in 2013 when I switched, I took the br7ef out and layed it out against the TR6. Quite different. I made no other changes, nothing, even had the same batch of E85 in the tank, identical tune. I datalogged the BR7EF back to back with the TR6......the car leaned out .3 on the AF. 04sleeper tweaked the tune with the new data.....been running it that way ever since

IMG_0912.jpg

I think broke7 had a ton of data from track passes where he picked up power and mph TR6 over br7ef. But I will say, he was on excellent C16 race fuel or E85. If you're looking to run 22psi on pump gas plus meth .....you had better take every precaution available so not too many would find fault running the BR7EF. But if you're on the liquid gold insurance plan......TR6 all the way! lol

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
What about high compression? I run BR7EF's with 16psi, 10:1 Compression, E85 and 890rwhp lol. Def everything needs to be on the safe side.. hell I run Ignite E85 at the track for safety too.. Just curious on plugs now.. Not gonna try it. but still curious.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
What about high compression? I run BR7EF's with 16psi, 10:1 Compression, E85 and 890rwhp lol. Def everything needs to be on the safe side.. hell I run Ignite E85 at the track for safety too.. Just curious on plugs now.. Not gonna try it. but still curious.

Give em a try....run her up to 5500 see if any thing rattles apart lol

No, I agree, stay safe on that setup. It would be interesting to see, tho. Bet it would eclipse 900 wheel

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Give em a try....run her up to 5500 see if any thing rattles apart lol

No, I agree, stay safe on that setup. It would be interesting to see, tho. Bet it would eclipse 900 wheel
Oh yea. It's already made 910rwhp.. On pump E85 and 19* of timing. Backed it back down to 18* to be safe. Since I'm running Ignite most of the time I was thinking of adjusting the tune to see how she responds. It's a night and day difference going down the track between pump and Ignite with zero changes. The car runs so much smoother. But ya it should be rowdy on 22* of timing and the Ignite I would think. It's plenty fast enough now though lol.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
BR7EF gapped at .028 I have a whipple 3.4 @19lbs

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread