Best Protein?

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Alright, so I've been working out for 6 weeks and only seen a slight improvement in muscle mass. I usually try and go 5 days a week and work on only my upper body. My workout usually lasts about an hour.

So, I got to thinking and realized my diet wasn't exactly good and thus contributed to the lack of muscle gain. I lack protein... I might only get half of what I should be getting.

So I walk into the local GNC and ask which protein is best. Well, the lady really couldn't recommend anything besides saying 'Whey' is the best. Wow, thanks that helps....

Basically, I want to know which protein tastes the best and is the best for someone who is looking for moderate muscle gain? I saw alot of proteins offering 40 to 80% daily value worth. Should I try something in between? Any help would be great.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Shes right, Whey Protein is the best. I have "Power Whey" by BioX, its Vanilla flavor. I mix it in a shake with glutamine and creatine, so it tastes quite good

ltv1

Established Member
I am shooting for 1.5 X my body weight in protein. It is difficult bordering on disgusting to eat that shite.

Egg protein is just as good IMHO. The bioavailability is what is important.

Isopure is the most expensive but the best. Some of the cheaper brands have Acesulfame - K , the cheapest sweetener you can get. It is a carcinogen, a mild one, but it defeats the purpose if you are trying to get healthy and don't even drink tap water, to ingest mass amounts (>200g day for me) of protein if it contains *any* toxins.

These are just mine and the guys I work out with opinions, that is why there are 700 brands of powders and 2000 workout books.

Arnold's Encyclopedia is all I ever used, and the Navy Seal book (Smith)
That SEAL book is *way* intense.

ltv1

Established Member
Originally posted by El_Diablo
Is that the "Navy SEAL Workout" book? I have to get a copy of that, I've heard good things

I have the first book listed. I just used it for the running and excercises. It helped me a lot. Supposedly everyone who completes this has a high success rate in BUDS. I just use it as another resource. It is *very harsh* if you follow it to the letter.

http://stewsmith.com/indexr.htm

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Re: Re: Best Protein?

Originally posted by L.B.
Muscle Milk by Cytosport...hands down... www.bodybuilding.com

Good lord! Their muscle building combos require you to take alot of stuff! Do you actually ever eat food?

"I have just taken 97 pills and 3 pounds muscle building powder!" "I can work out at night now because of the 6000 grams of magnesium and phosphate, my a$$ glows like a glow bug!":thumbsup:

Mojo03

Established Member
You need multiple types of protein, many of which you simply cannot get from whey alone. Whey metabolizes quickly, sometimes too quickly for a body to use. I agree with the comment about steak. Protein powders are good as in between meal fillers, but you'll gain the most weight if you eat more real food and stick to large muscle group exercises like squats and deadlifts. Lying down exercises like bench pressing is ok, but you'll gain more strength and size by doing a routine like 20 rep squats and chowing down like a boss hog!

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Yea,the Hulkmeister and Callie gave me the hook up on the steak bit...I think it's really workin too...gettin more definition on chest and arms...Woo Hoo!!!!!...Still,I eat tons of fruit and probly don't(still)drink enough water...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Tons of water and Lots of Beef and Chicken at all meals. Very low Carbs!!! No need to buy those expensive mixes.

ltv1

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Tons of water and Lots of Beef and Chicken at all meals. Very low Carbs!!! No need to buy those expensive mixes.

I would do that in a second if I was not an ovo-lacto vegetarian.
You have the added benefit of Bovine Growth Hormone and Juiced chickens that mature in a month. No need to pay extra to shoot the stuff if you can just eat it.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by L.B.
Muscle Milk by Cytosport...hands down... www.bodybuilding.com

I second this

Banana and cookies n cream are great.

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ltv1
I would do that in a second if I was not an ovo-lacto vegetarian.
You have the added benefit of Bovine Growth Hormone and Juiced chickens that mature in a month. No need to pay extra to shoot the stuff if you can just eat it.

LOL!!! Nice!:thumbsup:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions....

I guess I'll give one of the shakes a try and see what happens in the next several weeks.

Aflac_Quack51

Established Member
For all natural protien go with A LOT of tuna and egg whites. Never got into whey protien myself but friends tell me it's ok. I know after a workout for me last year it would be 4 hard boiled eggs (just whites) the yolk's loaded w/ cholesterol, not good. 2-3 tuna sadwitches and then the main course chicken, steak on good days. The body also needs plenty of water. But to stack egg whites and tuna right AFTER the workout should help you a lot. After the workout there is about a 1-2 hour window where the muscles are just beggin for it!! anyways good luck in the future.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
And if you are Lactose intolerant like me doint get the cheap protein or you'll, or should I say everyone around you will be sorry,:lol: I myself use Nitro-Tech, it taste really good, I make smoothies with it, just add some crushed ice a banana and either milk or juice and blend :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
You're ONLY supposed to work each muscle group ONCE a week!:bash:

You are not letting you muscles recover and build by going 5 times a week. Thats why you don't grow. Everything mentioned about diet is true.

Work each muscle group once a week INTENSELY, with proper diet, plenty of rest and will see results much quicker.;-)

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
You're ONLY supposed to work each muscle group ONCE a week!

Ro Cobra, I think that depends on the individual, and also age, an older gentleman like myself would need more recovery then say like an 18-20 yr old.

Users who are viewing this thread