Best Pizza in America???

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
My wife and I went to Pequod's in Chicago the other week. I thought it was really good, even though I didn't like the sauce, thought there was too much of it and it was pretty damn tangy. But aside from that, the super thick crust on the bottom of the pizza was actually head and shoulders better than I've had in Colorado (which isn't saying much at all). Cheese was top notch too and the sausage was really well seasoned/cooked.

then where was it invented. The tomato, cheese and sauce pizza what we eat is 100% italian.

I was born in italy. Frosinone. Its all farm and old cities. There are 10,000 pizzerias here in america on every corner and I never smell pizza. In italy, you can have one pizzeria, and you can smell it a mile away.

To me, there is no good pizza here. Its tolerable, I live on long island ny and have access to a lot of good places. You got grimaldis in garden city, dani's in kew garden, I know some spots in white stone. You got new park pizza in howard beach. The list goes on. Is it good? I guess. Is it pizza? For me? no. I tolerate it.

In italy we have places that you can walk in at 3am where they are making fresh bread but also make pizza. They sell it by weight. The smell, the taste, forge it. forza italia!!!

Greeks invented Pizza.

It could be argued that pizza as we know it today was from Italy (because they put tomatoes on it), but the timeline between the supposed "invention" of pizza in Naples and the first authorized Pizza joint in the States is relatively small. Apparently if you study Italian cook books from the 1920-1930s you don't really find any mention of pizza from them. It seems to be popularized by the States.

Also, tomatoes aren't native to Italy, they were brought over from the Americas.

This is also in no-way a knock at Italian pizza, I haven't had it and I would jump at the opportunity to try it.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My wife and I went to Pequod's in Chicago the other week. I thought it was really good, even though I didn't like the sauce, thought there was too much of it and it was pretty damn tangy. But aside from that, the super thick crust on the bottom of the pizza was actually head and shoulders better than I've had in Colorado (which isn't saying much at all). Cheese was top notch too and the sausage was really well seasoned/cooked.

I've been there too. Was good, nothing epic. Best I've had in Chicago so far is the Art of Pizza. They won best deep dish in like 2016 or something. Their OG location sells it by the slice too, so great if you're just there for a meeting or something alone and don't need a whole pizza. In fact, I'll be up there in about 6 weeks and will be stopping by again. :)

Last edited:

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Best pizza I ever had was in a place in Staunton, VA called Shenandoah Pizza. Not exactly a hotspot for pizza, but it is great. I haven't been in years though.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Best pizza I ever had was in a place in Staunton, VA called Shenandoah Pizza. Not exactly a hotspot for pizza, but it is great. I haven't been in years though.
Still putting out good pies here...

However, we now have Newtown Pizza which is even BETTER!

BTW...”BEST in America” is...John’s on Bleecker St. Lower Manhattan.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Double post...but worth stating again.

BTW...”BEST in America” is...John’s on Blecker St. Lower Manhattan.

ENV²

Established Member
Still putting out good pies here...

However, we now have Newtown Pizza which is even BETTER!

BTW...”BEST in America” is...John’s on Bleecker St. Lower Manhattan.
John's is phenomenal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
We have a wood fired pizza joint down the road from us ran by a retired couple. Everything is cooked in the wood fired brick oven. Even the homemade cheese pies. It’s some good stuff. People come from all over to eat at this place. They even have home made ice cream churned by the owner. It’s a pretty cool little joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread