Best oil viscosity for my set up

Orange Vert

EX CO-VERT
Established Member
Hey all I'm brand new to the Terminator. I before had a 2000 V6 Stang that I modded. Thing was quick but had to upgrade...

My question is what oil viscosity do you recommend for my 04 cobra. Mods are as follows 2.91 Upper, JLT Ram Air Kit, Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, solid COP connectors, cat backs, and dyno tuned with a Diablo Predator hand held.

Millage is 73,000

The previous owner told me they did 5w30 & 10w30 (full synthetic) season permitting.

I know I should know this but I want to make sure I do this right. I'm at 4500 ft above sea level... Recommends for summer/winter?

Thank you.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Do you have an Advance Auto near you? Luv the deal they got going for June, 5 quarts Valvoline SynPower with K&N oil filer for $24.99, or if you prefer Mobil 1 oil and filter for $5 more, get beat that!!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
There has been TONS of debate over oil capacity with our stock pans and through much research and photo proof 7 is the way to go, at least do 6.5!

metaman

Established Member
Someone is going to have to explain to me why 7 quarts is better. If the designed capacity is 6 quarts then why is 7 better? Increased windage with more oil? Increased crankcase pressure with more oil? I think I will go with putting enough in to go half way up the operating range on the dip stick. This is 6.25 quarts at the most when ever I have changed my oil. And I don't want to hear any bs about g forces sloshing the oil. The pan has baffles in it to prevent this.

Oh yeah, I have run 5 quarts Mobil 1 5w30 and one quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer for 70k and the car runs better than new. It has only ever smoked on start up once and that was way back before I started using the Lucas stuff.

Last edited:

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Someone is going to have to explain to me why 7 quarts is better. If the designed capacity is 6 quarts then why is 7 better? Increased windage with more oil? Increased crankcase pressure with more oil? I think I will go with putting enough in to go half way up the operating range on the dip stick. This is 6.25 quarts at the most when ever I have changed my oil. And I don't want to hear any bs about g forces sloshing the oil. The pan has baffles in it to prevent this.

Oh yeah, I have run 5 quarts Mobil 1 5w30 and one quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer for 70k and the car runs better than new. It has only ever smoked on start up once and that was way back before I started using the Lucas stuff.

whatever makes you happy bro. 6.5-7qts is good. i run and recommend 7qts. heres a few reasons
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/566490-oil-change-how-many-quarts.html

and you may want to be careful with the lucas junk too. dont always trust what your buddy at auto zone tells you.
What about Additives?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread